5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Rebel owners - How is your economy? How's your truck?

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I think if these were geared at 3.73 you’d have the best of both worlds. Low enough to work off road and high enough that 80mph doesn’t kill the fuel economy.

I know in Canada right now diesel is 1.059/L and has is 1.13/L so for the time being diesel is cheaper and payback in the EcoDiesel, even considering the service costs are double the gas, is 3-4 years at 20,000km per year with my towing and other mileage. Major plus is the rpm while towing is almost 1500 below what my Hemi does while getting 6.5mpg going 65mph/110kph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan1234

Reaction score
I live in the mountains in British Columbia and had both a gas and now a eco diesel rebel. The hemi got 6-8mpg average and with the same driving I’m getting 19-21 with the ecodiesel. And that’s also letting it warm up for 30 or so minutes in the morning. Eco diesel so far is awesome! I do miss the power from the hemi though!

aearagon

Reaction score
I have attached a picture of my Trip log. I picked up the truck with 14 miles on the odometer. The trip was from the dealership to my house noon stop on the 395 hwy Carson City NV to San Diego CA. A 485 mile trip in total. Straight drive in mountain terrain with elevation changes from 2000 feet up to 9000 feet and mostly a cross wind. Most of the trip showed 27.4 mpg. It fell off in the last 1.5 hours of the trip. this is the final and official MPG, time and distance report. you can see the DEF usage and the Fuel Consumption on the gauges in the picture. I finished the tank at 701 miles and filled the tank with 27 gallons of fuel. That hand calculated at 25.9 mpg. That is as raw and real as it gets for HWY driving. IMG_1411.jpg

DSMCasey

Reaction score
I have done quite a bit of research and talked to several 1500 owners both rebel and non. I also have an ecodiesel Jeep Wrangler that the dealership loaned me while they fix one of my back doors (it's hard to shut) on my 2021 ED. I can tell you that this wrangler is interesting. The 3.0 ED in the wrangler is the same as the ED in my ram, however it's behavior is quite different in the wrangler. The wrangler feels pretty peppy with the ED, I wouldn't say fast but definitely more oomph than the ram likely due to the less weight, less ground clearance, smaller tires and probably better aero. But, the ED is LOUD in the wrangler. Wrangler's don't have much in the way of refinement in the interior or sound deadening material and the diesel can be heard in the cabin quite clearly. In my ram I usually have to tell people it's a diesel, especially from within the cabin. The wranglers have 3.73 gears too - something not offered on the Rams at all, not even the regular 1500 as far as I know.

Here's some MPG Data I've gathered from other forums/owners in "real world" scenarios, this data is not "certain" this is mostly word of mouth from folks but it seems accurate:
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.21 gears and well optioned- 29-31MPG in sustained 80mph driving. (~1700 rpm at 80MPH)
Wrangler Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.73 gears and well optioned - 26-28MPG in sustained 80mph driving. (~2050 rpm at 80MPH)
Ram Rebel 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.92 gears and well optioned - 22-25MPG in sustained 80mph driving (~2300 rpm at 80MPH)
Gen 2 Ram Rebel 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.55 gears and well optioned - 22-25MPG in sustained 80mph driving

Ram Rebel 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.92 gears and well optioned - 25-28MPG in sustaned 55-65mph driving
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.21 gears and well optioned - 28-30PMG in sustained 55-65mph driving

Surprisingly the numbers reported by 4x2 trucks were about the same - however there were very few 4x2 trucks in the data. The Wheels/Tires on the rebel seem to cost about 1-2MPG. ALL rebels were built with 3.92 gears but if you could get 3.21's you would likely see little difference in towing and large differences in MPG.

aearagon

Reaction score
I have done quite a bit of research and talked to several 1500 owners both rebel and non. I also have an ecodiesel Jeep Wrangler that the dealership loaned me while they fix one of my back doors (it's hard to shut) on my 2021 ED. I can tell you that this wrangler is interesting. The 3.0 ED in the wrangler is the same as the ED in my ram, however it's behavior is quite different in the wrangler. The wrangler feels pretty peppy with the ED, I wouldn't say fast but definitely more oomph than the ram likely due to the less weight, less ground clearance, smaller tires and probably better aero. But, the ED is LOUD in the wrangler. Wrangler's don't have much in the way of refinement in the interior or sound deadening material and the diesel can be heard in the cabin quite clearly. In my ram I usually have to tell people it's a diesel, especially from within the cabin. The wranglers have 3.73 gears too - something not offered on the Rams at all, not even the regular 1500 as far as I know.

Here's some MPG Data I've gathered from other forums/owners in "real world" scenarios, this data is not "certain" this is mostly word of mouth from folks but it seems accurate:
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.21 gears and well optioned- 29-31MPG in sustained 80mph driving. (~1700 rpm at 80MPH)
Wrangler Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.73 gears and well optioned - 26-28MPG in sustained 80mph driving. (~2050 rpm at 80MPH)
Ram Rebel 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.92 gears and well optioned - 22-25MPG in sustained 80mph driving (~2300 rpm at 80MPH)
Gen 2 Ram Rebel 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.55 gears and well optioned - 22-25MPG in sustained 80mph driving

Ram Rebel 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.92 gears and well optioned - 25-28MPG in sustaned 55-65mph driving
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.21 gears and well optioned - 28-30PMG in sustained 55-65mph driving

Surprisingly the numbers reported by 4x2 trucks were about the same - however there were very few 4x2 trucks in the data. The Wheels/Tires on the rebel seem to cost about 1-2MPG. ALL rebels were built with 3.92 gears but if you could get 3.21's you would likely see little difference in towing and large differences in MPG.
I have the 2021 RAM ED Rebel with most of the options. I currently have 1900 mile on the odometer. I just filled the tank and it required 28.125 gallons.
My Mileage on the last two tanks of fuel is as follows:

Ram Rebel 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.92 gears and well optioned - 26-27MPG in sustaned 70-75mph driving
Ram Rebel 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.92 gears and well optioned - 26-28MPG in sustaned 55-65mph driving

aearagon

Reaction score
I lose fuel economy in city driving easily. It will fall to 23.3 MPG for the tank average

DSMCasey

Reaction score
I have the 2021 RAM ED Rebel with most of the options. I currently have 1900 mile on the odometer. I just filled the tank and it required 28.125 gallons.
My Mileage on the last two tanks of fuel is as follows:

Ram Rebel 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.92 gears and well optioned - 26-27MPG in sustaned 70-75mph driving
Ram Rebel 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 w/3.92 gears and well optioned - 26-28MPG in sustaned 55-65mph driving
That's way better MPG than me with my ED. Speed limit here is 75, I'm always doing 80. I'm 12k miles in now I think or close to it. but I don't have anywhere that the speed limits are really that low that I drive on for any length of time. I'm pretty much up and down I-35 through Texas and Oklahoma and drive 5mph over the limit w/cruise. My truck has every option but air ride.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just had my best mpg today, 34 imperial mpg or 8.3 L/100km at 100kph or 62 mph with cruise, 300 km trip, or 186 miles, almost all highway, my truck rolled past 16,000 km tonight. Impressive! I will do the hand calculation on fill up, it is usual off by 1 mpg, so probably 33 mpg.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just had my best mpg today, 34 imperial mpg or 8.3 L/100km at 100kph or 62 mph with cruise, 300 km trip, or 186 miles, almost all highway, my truck rolled past 16,000 km tonight. Impressive! I will do the hand calculation on fill up, it is usual off by 1 mpg, so probably 33 mpg.
I too find excellent fuel economy at that speed, 90-100km is the sweet spot. But I usually go 10km over the limit on all roads.

I have another trip to the north in May where I will be towing an enclosed trailer 7x17 ft roughly 5500lbs 1450km one way and no trailer on the way home. I expect 18l/100km towing and 10l/100km empty. Windsor to Geraldton.

My old gm truck would be roughly 28l/100km towing the same trailer and 13l/100km empty. 261l vs 406l towing and 145l vs 188.5l return trip.

406l vs 594.5 saving roughly 188 litres of fuel or $225-$250 in one trip.

Last edited:

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a Rebel, but a fully-optioned 2020 Laramie Longhorn crewcab 4x4 with ORG (off-road group), Ram boxes, MFT (multi-function tailgate), 3.21 gears, 5,000 miles. The on-board fuel economy estimator always reads 2-3 MPG on the optimistic side. My driving is mostly unloaded, lately a bit more highway than city driving, I typically drive 65-70 MPH, and every tank includes at least one trip over the Grapevine on I-5 in SoCal (4,144 ft at the pass, which is a 3,000 ft elevation gain for me headed north, 3,900 ft gain southbound). In town, I accelerate moderately.

Eight fill-ups so far, all of these numbers are hand calcs: First tank was worst at 22 MPG, lots of idling on that one and engine was tight. Last three tanks consistently 26-27 MPG, but those had more highway than usual for me.

Regarding justification of the Ecodiesel: Most people will never get their money back, unless you work your truck like VernDiesel (5thgenrams member - see his posts, they're all informative). But for me, semi-retired and not in a hurry, not quite as worried about money as I was when I was younger, the Ecodiesel was just another option that I wanted, not necessarily needed. Some people buy the panoramic roof, because they WANT it, not because they need it or can justify it economically.

I'm super happy with my Ram and the Ecodiesel. I don't think I'll ever see 30 MPG, but I'll take 26-27 MPG every time, considering it weights ~6,000 lbs and is 4WD. It's a marvelous vehicle that's a joy to drive, and it makes me happy every time I drive it. Had it just over a year, and it's never been back to the dealer, because I have had zero issues of any kind.

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
> Lastly, fuel costs have been low for two years and likely will remain so for some time unless the govt wants to tank domestic energy production and put 1.8 million people on unemployment (very unlikely since that would lose you PA in the next election)

Looking at reviews for the EcoDiesel and the rebel and I see that this particular post did not age well 😂

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
> Lastly, fuel costs have been low for two years and likely will remain so for some time unless the govt wants to tank domestic energy production and put 1.8 million people on unemployment (very unlikely since that would lose you PA in the next election)

Looking at reviews for the EcoDiesel and the rebel and I see that this particular post did not age well 😂
Yep... I was... We'll see what happens in PA in 2022 and 2024, and if there's a reversal in domestic energy production in the interim. Here's to hoping there will be... but I'm doubtful.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

What are you talking about?

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Actually, I will say I was right about the govt tanking domestic energy production... that did happen and now fuel prices are horrible... I just didn't think they would actually do it. I was dead wrong about that.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are you talking about?
He's calling me out, rightly, for something stupid I said. I guess I was right and wrong... but, well, here we are. I was dead wrong about what I thought the outcome would be.

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
He's calling me out, rightly, for something stupid I said. I guess I was right and wrong... but, well, here we are. I was dead wrong about what I thought the outcome would be.
Not calling you out: who could've predicted it would get THIS bad? I just thought it was funny is all. We're in this same boat together, not trying to make you feel bad

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No... it's all good! No harm, no foul. You would think I'd learn to stop being an optimist.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh ok, I was trying to follow along but got lost

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm curious and haven't tried to research this. Everyone talks about getting your money back in terms of fuel savings, but that's assuming that all else equal, it's valued the exact same as the hemi at the time of sale/trade-in. Is that the case? I'd think, but don't know, that it would still command a premium over the hemi such that maybe you only have to recoup say $3K in fuel savings over the life because your truck is worth $2K more when you sell/trade. Or some version of those two numbers?

Anyone know if this is right or wrong? For two otherwise identical used trucks, would the one with the diesel have a higher value?

Users who are viewing this thread