5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Rebel owners - How is your economy? How's your truck?

Borsig

Reaction score
In trying to decide between a Diesel and Gas Rebel, I am curious to see what Diesel owners are getting MPG wise as a whole (as compared to fuelly data).

We all have seen the Rebel MPG thread, but let's see specifically what the diesels get, to do a cost benefit analysis. Thanks!

Borsig

Reaction score

Here's the (limited ) data spread of Rebels tagged with an EcoD on Fuelly.

5 trucks. 22 MPG average. the 2021 numbers have two outliers, which I will eliminate, leaving 2. that average is 20.5.

So 22MPG for 2020, 20.5 for 2021. Not stellar nor anywhere near the combined rating on the window sticker.

ETA- Looking at fuelly data - the Electric / Gas gets ~2mpg better than the basic hemi. If these trucks are only averaging 20-22 on diesel, and 16 on the hemi with e torque, is diesel really worth it for 4-5 MPG? Does not seem so.

Last edited:

DSMCasey

Reaction score
Don’t believe the haters. The ecodiesels should last a while lots of reputable diesel builders helped build these.

I have a hard loaded 2021 ecodiesel. I get 20-21 going 80 with cruise control on for hundreds of miles. With favorable wind and a light load I can get 23-24 mpg. I use about a gallon of DEF every 1k miles. Carrying 1500lbs or more in the bed feels fine and doesn’t seem to lose much power. The gen 3 has much less turbo lag than the previous gen ecodiesels as well. It drives well but is not as quick as the hemi. I bet the gen 3 will be a monster when it gets tuned....

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im on cruise control and get about 28 mpg
on 34 inch tires
i get about 18-22 in the city driving in out highway
usually have about 3/4 people in car so not much weight

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
I can get 27+ mpg if i drive 65 mph. REALLY BAD above 80 mph (20 mpg).

mpg is definitely better compared to gas BUT savings value of diesel over gas is debatable because u have to take into account that u have to fill DEF fluid (approx 1 gal every 1+k miles), plus oil change is about $250 from the dealers.

Last edited:

Borsig

Reaction score
My trips are all 70-75mph across state.

Def is minimal. Oil filters being 45-50 bucks though? Stupid

DSMCasey

Reaction score
I can get 27+ mpg if i drive 65 mph. REALLY BAD above 80 mph (20 mpg).

mpg is definitely better compared to gas BUT savings value of diesel over gas is debatable because u have to take into account that u have to fill DEF fluid (approx 1 gal every 1+k miles), plus oil change is about $250 from the dealers.
Yes I have same thing. Gearing is **** in these. If I go 60mph I get great mpg. At 80-85 it’s garbage. In TX we have 80mph speedlimits on some freeways.

Borsig

Reaction score
Yes I have same thing. Gearing is **** in these. If I go 60mph I get great mpg. At 80-85 it’s garbage. In TX we have 80mph speedlimits on some freeways.
I don't think Its gearing. I'd more suspect aero.

DSMCasey

Reaction score
I don't think Its gearing. I'd more suspect aero.
Could be but I would think the diesel at 1500 rpm would be way better than 2200rpm or so that it’s at. With current gearing you get 1500 rpm or so at 60 and 2200 at 80-85. Aero surely plays its part but I think they may have left some mpg on the table with gearing.

Borsig

Reaction score
Could be but I would think the diesel at 1500 rpm would be way better than 2200rpm or so that it’s at. With current gearing you get 1500 rpm or so at 60 and 2200 at 80-85. Aero surely plays its part but I think they may have left some mpg on the table with gearing.
That does seem... high. Wonder does 3.92 play a part there

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
aero (wind drag), weight & tire size plays a part, but the transmission gearing ratio plays a bigger part. eco rams with 3:21 transmission gets better mpg but u sacrifice a little lower tow capacity. but i think rebels only comes with 3:92. maybe special order?

Borsig

Reaction score
aero (wind drag), weight & tire size plays a part, but the transmission gearing ratio plays a bigger part. eco rams with 3:21 transmission gets better mpg but u sacrifice a little lower tow capacity. but i think rebels only comes with 3:92. maybe special order?
Can onlty get 3.92 I test drove a hemi yesterday, 2021 rebel. Highway, 70 MPH, cruise, flat. 15MPG is the best it could do. Just UGH

Borsig

Reaction score
2020 Reb. Currently 10000 kms. Average around 22-23 MPG. Highway at 72-75 mph I can get 25-27. 60-65 mph slightly better. Above 80 and it drops to around 20 like people are saying. I’ve put in about 4.5 gals of def so far.
I've taken a lot of data over the last couple days. It seems the single biggest complaint on any of these trucks is fuel econ. I've watched several videos and it seems that rebel diesels are netting 22-23 on average. Some get 25 if they are held to 60mph.

The EPA ratings on these trucks are an absolute lie. It is what it is. I think fuel composition, altitude, and many other factors such as road makeup, weather/temp etc all have large impacts on these trucks. Its ridiculous that it's 2021 and we can't get a gas 4x4 consistently over 20, and a diesel over 25-30.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that if you're really concerned about fuel efficiency in a full size truck, then a Rebel isn't your best choice. It has the most compromised aero, more aggressive AT tires, and 3.92 gearing. A different model with the deployable air-damn, low resistance highway tires, and 3.21 gears should be much better than a Rebel.

Hell, I'll take it a step further... if you want/need the most fuel efficient full size truck, maybe RAM isn't the brand for you. Every brand/manufacturer has it's pros and cons... not sure RAM has fuel efficiency as a pro.

Lastly, fuel costs have been low for two years and likely will remain so for some time unless the govt wants to tank domestic energy production and put 1.8 million people on unemployment (very unlikely since that would lose you PA in the next election). As a result, it's hard to get the $$ back for the upcharge in a diesel, unless you have other considerations like ultimate range or towing.

Just my 2 cents.

Borsig

Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that if you're really concerned about fuel efficiency in a full size truck, then a Rebel isn't your best choice. It has the most compromised aero, more aggressive AT tires, and 3.92 gearing. A different model with the deployable air-damn, low resistance highway tires, and 3.21 gears should be much better than a Rebel.

Hell, I'll take it a step further... if you want/need the most fuel efficient full size truck, maybe RAM isn't the brand for you. Every brand/manufacturer has it's pros and cons... not sure RAM has fuel efficiency as a pro.

Lastly, fuel costs have been low for two years and likely will remain so for some time unless the govt wants to tank domestic energy production and put 1.8 million people on unemployment (very unlikely since that would lose you PA in the next election). As a result, it's hard to get the $$ back for the upcharge in a diesel, unless you have other considerations like ultimate range or towing.

Just my 2 cents.
It's not that - I fully understand what 3.92's and off road trim does. In fact that's precisely what I want in a truck. The opposite would be useless to me. I spend much time in the sand and on mountain fire "roads".

Fuel costs have been low because the party in power was friendly to oil independence, and fossil fuels. The party in charge now is openly hostile to oil and coal ( I am from gas/oil/coal country, please don't try and tell me differently, I live it daily and we are already seeing the effects of Biden's policy here) PA knew full well what they were getting and they voted for him anyway. Just like the pipefitters union. Gas has gone up 50 cents a gallon here (from 2.09 to 2.59) in 6 weeks, so please, don't patronize me on oil prices or this administraton's policy toward them. People will be screaming bloody murder by summer and wonder why. Please, don't make me post empirical data and past precedent here. I get enough of politics screwing with my livelyhood - I don't care to engage in it here.

I'd be perfectly happy if the thing was capable of even sniffing at 20-21 MPG on the highway at 60. It isn't It' 25% off from that. The around town MPG is perfectly fine at 13-14.

I don't "need" the most fuel efficent truck. I am simply commenting on the frustration of having all this tech, and still not being able to get any better mpg than we did 20 years ago in a 1/2 ton. Hell, small rangers, tacos, and Colorado only get marginally better FE.

I'm still not sure what I will do. I am looking. The BTS edition may have been a much better entry for me into the 1500. A mild lift, fake leather and 3.21's would have made an interesting do it all truck, as would 33 gallons and 25mpg on a diesel. I've driven diesels for 10 years. I've experienced the EPA's ever tightening grip, choking the life out of them with failure prone SCR's, brokern def heaters, and grenaded fuel pumps that starve for lubrication with ULSD. Gas probably IS the way to go, it would just be nice if the EPA rating wasn't so off.

edgarrian

Reaction score
You are right in that diesel should last a long time. But whats the average ownership of a vehicle? ITs not that long. A guy looking to purchase a rebel diesel isn't looking for longevity. He's simply looking to get a truck he likes with better MPG. Whats there to hate? Someone saying its not worth paying the extra cash for the diesel? Some people will say oh yea i get 27mpg but i typically call BS. Even on my truck (2019 rebel) it registered 23. I was hand calculating and it wasn't that good. Hand calc. was only 20.5.

Don’t believe the haters. The ecodiesels should last a while lots of reputable diesel builders helped build these.

I have a hard loaded 2021 ecodiesel. I get 20-21 going 80 with cruise control on for hundreds of miles. With favorable wind and a light load I can get 23-24 mpg. I use about a gallon of DEF every 1k miles. Carrying 1500lbs or more in the bed feels fine and doesn’t seem to lose much power. The gen 3 has much less turbo lag than the previous gen ecodiesels as well. It drives well but is not as quick as the hemi. I bet the gen 3 will be a monster when it gets tuned....

Users who are viewing this thread