5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel fuel cap

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why is everyone obsessed with an aluminum one? Buy the Mopar plastic cap.
Function over form.

JFV1134

Reaction score
Why is everyone obsessed with an aluminum one? Buy the Mopar plastic cap.
Function over form.
The aluminum cap is nice. The plastic cap from Mopar isn't worth the $20 they are asking for it.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the magnetized aluminum one. Looks sweet.

My next step is to JB Weld a small piece of flat steel to the inside of the fuel lid so the gas cap has a place to stick.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Made 3D Printed ones with ABS like Resin. It uses a 4mm x 37mm Oring
and has a place for a 8-32 Flathead Screw to hold on a Magnet. It
requires you to remove the top 1/4" of the internal ribs.

Will update once finished. I will make the STL file available too.

Malodave

EcoDieselFillerCap-3.jpg

Magnet

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The aluminum cap is nice. The plastic cap from Mopar isn't worth the $20 they are asking for it.
But it functions to keep the dirt out which is all I care about..nobody sees my fuel cap.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Made 3D Printed ones with ABS like Resin. It uses a 4mm x 37mm Oring
and has a place for a 8-32 Flathead Screw to hold on a Magnet. It
requires you to remove the top 1/4" of the internal ribs.

Will update once finished. I will make the STL file available too.

Malodave

View attachment 101342

Magnet

Great idea...but. A screw over a fuel filler tube is asking for trouble. (If it's non-magnetic, that is: otherwise, if it comes loose, it'll just stick to the magnet. ;) )

On my third top-off of my DEF fluid, I spilled some into the fuel fill tube. Cr*ppy design. (VW puts the DEF fill port in the trunk.) As soon as that happened, I bought the magnetic green aluminum one. $35 is steep for a fuel cap...but cheaper than water in the lines.

Yours look great. Any chance of using diesel-green plastic???

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great idea...but. A screw over a fuel filler tube is asking for trouble. (If it's non-magnetic, that is: otherwise, if it comes loose, it'll just stick to the magnet. ;) )

On my third top-off of my DEF fluid, I spilled some into the fuel fill tube. Cr*ppy design. (VW puts the DEF fill port in the trunk.) As soon as that happened, I bought the magnetic green aluminum one. $35 is steep for a fuel cap...but cheaper than water in the lines.

Yours look great. Any chance of using diesel-green plastic???

It is a weird color Green Resin:

I am just using what I have on Hand. I would epoxy the screw and Magnet on as well. I am
trying some Krylon Fusion Jungle Green Paint. I did not leave room for the O-ring with two
coats of paint. So I have some new prints from last night sitting in the printer right now. It
takes about 3.5 hours to print, but I can fit three Caps at a time on the print surface. I have
to find my box of magnets I purchased already. I think they are in a tote i had in my Laramie.

Malodave

DieselCap8-Printer.jpg

DieselCap8-3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread