5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel fuel cap

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Mopar one is nice. It's nothing fancy but very functional. You can it here.

Attachments

• 20200726_153450.jpg
    20200726_153450.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 236

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I want aluminum style - there is only one seller on amazon but is charging 4x the price. The regular aluminum ones are like $8 - and for 2020 Ecodiesel version they want $45 !

Its all chinese made stuff - sooner or later its going to pop up everywhere for the same cheap price.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wanted function over form. The only person that's ever going to see it is me.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

there's more than one page... how many threads are you going to start?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want aluminum style - there is only one seller on amazon but is charging 4x the price. The regular aluminum ones are like $8 - and for 2020 Ecodiesel version they want $45 !

Its all chinese made stuff - sooner or later its going to pop up everywhere for the same cheap price.

cheap and works great.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get the $10 billet aluminum amazon ones with the magnet.

61kdEY2J+GL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No rubber seal though. Dirt can still get in, how could this design possibly be an improvement?
Because it's like a rubber plastic and it covers the entire opening of the fuel port. It goes around the outside of it and seals it. No need for a rubber seal.

The Amazon ones rely on sealing on the inside and there is a potential for grit to fall in once you remove the cap. The Mopar one covers the entire thing.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Get the $10 billet aluminum amazon ones with the magnet.

View attachment 63694

Like I mentioned above, this one DOES NOT work with new body-style 2020 EcoDiesels - guess how I know that ? Because I have this green one for sitting in my garage. It*MAY* work for classic body style trucks, but not the new body style - it has updated filler neck for diesel , with 3 ribs. Following is the picture from amazon - and thats why they want $45.

Again same item (like the one I ordered) is $10 but would not fit newest trucks - gotto pay 4x more.

1596782169437.png

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like I mentioned above, this one DOES NOT work with new body-style 2020 EcoDiesels - guess how I know that ? Because I have this green one for sitting in my garage. It*MAY* work for classic body style trucks, but not the new body style - it has updated filler neck for diesel , with 3 ribs. Following is the picture from amazon - and thats why they want $45.

Again same item (like the one I ordered) is $10 but would not fit newest trucks - gotto pay 4x more.

View attachment 64696

I got a 2020 longhorn with the 3 ribs and it works juuuuust fine.

20200809_105237.jpg 20200809_105243.jpg

Reactions: aai

Synergy26

Reaction score
I
Because it's like a rubber plastic and it covers the entire opening of the fuel port. It goes around the outside of it and seals it. No need for a rubber seal.

The Amazon ones rely on sealing on the inside and there is a potential for grit to fall in once you remove the cap. The Mopar one covers the entire thing.
Went with this one. It's the best option to stop dust or water from entering, doesn't seam like any of them seal .

hunter1234

Reaction score
I have the metal one from my 2016 and it worked on my 2020. Not sure you get the same o-ring fit due to the ribs on the truck side. Would be curious what the bottom side of the $40 dollar one looks like, does it seal better or similar too my old one?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the metal one from my 2016 and it worked on my 2020. Not sure you get the same o-ring fit due to the ribs on the truck side. Would be curious what the bottom side of the $40 dollar one looks like, does it seal better or similar too my old one?
Its just like your windshield washer fluid cap, but green and $50 for 3¢ of plastic.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I bought one from amazon but its old styled one and it DOES NOT fit. There are pictures of people above, that are using the old styled one - I guess there are two sizes of the old one too.... I seem to have one with larger diameter, that wont go in due to 3-ribs on new EcoDiesel tank.

Honestly, I think truck would be fine without it for most highway/city driving. The spring loaded tank cover inside the filler neck, and then the gas/diesel tank door - are both enough to block majority of daily dust. I wanted it for the looks and then some protecting as icing on the cake.

Now if you live in rural setting, unpaved road, desert etc - perhaps it would be worth it to have additional "third" layer of covering for the gas/diesel tank.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased the Aluminum one and it does not fit the 2020+ filler neck,
At least not enough to seal it. I guess I will have to fire up the lathe and
make my own version.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread