5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel even worth it still?

Goldsy

Reaction score
No I’m gonna listen to that guy with the blue sharpie.

Even though the one tank of 87 I used while towing lead to the timing retarding to the point that the truck couldn’t get out of 5th gear when it’s otherwise always in 7th or 8th and used around 25% more gas, and also I spent $90k on a truck and am too cheap to spend an extra $10 per tank so it doesn’t knock…I’m gonna listen to blue sharpie guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m with you. I’m in Nova Scotia. 89 costs 5 cents more per litre than 87. What’s $5 more dollars to fill when it’s already $180 to fill from empty.

myles

Reaction score
even at $6.20/gallon here in SoCal is still cheaper than gas because the Hemi calls for 89... I just try not to look, I sure as heck don't drive a truck to save money. I just like being able to go 600+ miles on a tank of gas, granted its almost $200/tank now

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good find! Thanks for letting me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's funny that I pointed out the correct octane is 87 or better and you get butt hurt. Towing falls under optimum performance.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's funny that I pointed out the correct octane is 87 or better and you get butt hurt. Towing falls under optimum performance.
"Recommended" octane for the Hemi is 89. Which means that's the "correct" octane based on engineers suggestion. But you can run 87 if you want, albeit with decreased performance.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
"Recommended" octane for the Hemi is 89. Which means that's the "correct" octane based on engineers suggestion. But you can run 87 if you want, albeit with decreased performance.
Nope. Quoted from the owners manual, "The use of 89 octane “Plus” gasoline is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy. Johnny H stated that the 5.7 needs to run 89 octane or higher. That is not true. Per the manual, you can run 87 or 89 based on your needs. The "correct" octane, whether it's 87 or 89, is up to the user.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The statement was "with the hemi you need to run 89 octane or higher."

That's not correct.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The statement was "with the hemi you need to run 89 octane or higher."

That's not correct.
The statement I responded to said 87 was the "correct" octane. While you do not "need to" run 89, it is what is recommended. Meaning it is the "correct" octane to use for best performance. Why anyone would want to purposely run an octane that would reduce performance is beyond me. I paid for a Hemi, I want Hemi performance

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The statement I responded to said 87 was the "correct" octane. While you do not "need to" run 89, it is what is recommended. Meaning it is the "correct" octane to use for best performance.
@Idahoktm accurately pointed out what the manual says. 87 is "correct."
Why anyone would want to purposely run an octane that would reduce performance is beyond me. I paid for a Hemi, I want Hemi performance
Haven't seen anyone say that you should fill up with 87.

Why not 93? Get better than Hemi performance. :LOL:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The statement I responded to said 87 was the "correct" octane. While you do not "need to" run 89, it is what is recommended. Meaning it is the "correct" octane to use for best performance. Why anyone would want to purposely run an octane that would reduce performance is beyond me. I paid for a Hemi, I want Hemi performance
The correct octane is 87 to 89 as stated in the owner's manual. 89 is only recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Idahoktm accurately pointed out what the manual says. 87 is "correct."

Haven't seen anyone say that you should fill up with 87.

Why not 93? Get better than Hemi performance. :LOL:
Only someone who doesn't understand octane, or is just trying to be a troll, would make such an ignorant statement. :p

And I do run either 91 or 93 because I have the Pulsar tuner on my truck

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only someone who doesn't understand octane, or is just trying to be a troll, would make such an ignorant statement. :p

And I do run either 91 or 93 because I have the Pulsar tuner on my truck
Oh man, you have a race truck?

You should run 110 if you want to get real performance.

Bigdwisco

Reaction score
Back to the point. Just traded a 18 1500 Eco on a 22 Hemi. Eco averaged about 22 mpg on my 48 mile trips to work, one way going 73 mph. Hemi averages 17 but it is new (less than 1000 miles) Maintenance costs and the unknown upcoming repairs made my decision and at this point absolutely no regrets saying goodbye to the Eco.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
22 is lower than some others have posted. Would you feel differently if you were getting the 30-33 mpg that others have claimed?

Despite all my attempts, I have never been able to match the mileage claims of others, leading me to believe that people are full of chit, have no idea how to do the math properly or got that magical unicorn that just gets twice the mileage right off the showroom floor.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
22 is lower than some others have posted. Would you feel differently if you were getting the 30-33 mpg that others have claimed?

Despite all my attempts, I have never been able to match the mileage claims of others, leading me to believe that people are full of chit, have no idea how to do the math properly or got that magical unicorn that just gets twice the mileage right off the showroom floor.
There’s way too many factors that prevent anyone from matching what others get. The only way a true comparison can be done is with the same build trucks on a dyno, closed circuit track, or same stretch of road with the same driver and test equipment monitoring all parameters. Otherwise, all comparisons are not apples to apples.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s absolutely worth it to me since I’ve doubled my distance per tank of fuel (same size tank as my hemi). The thing that kills potential savings is the inevitable time when the dpf needs to be replaced. If you don’t have it long enough to do the dpf, then you’re ahead. Just to give you an idea of my usage, I’m at ~9900 miles in 4 months of ownership of the ecodiesel.

I love diesels and the ecodiesel, so it doesn’t matter to me if I have to eventually spend $4k for parts. The long-term question I struggle over is how long can I go before the Gov’t makes the cost of diesel and gas so high that I need to get rid of diesel for an electric powertrain.
I really don’t think the a new electric truck would be capable of achieving 9900 miles in 4 month. Technology is not there yet. How many hours of charging would that be?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I really don’t think the a new electric truck would be capable of achieving 9900 miles in 4 month. Technology is not there yet. How many hours of charging would that be?
I’m a little confused about your comment since we’re talking about diesels right now. It would be nice to know the answer to your question, but there’s even more variables with EV than diesel- you'd have to take power quality, wiring, hardware, and charge rates into consideration. For diesel, the only comparison would be fuel quality.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Not sure why, but the price for diesel is under assault these days. According to the Department of Energy, from the start of the year gasoline is up 26% while diesel is up 42%. Also some governors have temporarily suspended the state fuel tax, except for diesel. It's probably not a conspiracy but my tinfoil hat senses are tingling

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure why, but the price for diesel is under assault these days. According to the Department of Energy, from the start of the year gasoline is up 26% while diesel is up 42%. Also some governors have temporarily suspended the state fuel tax, except for diesel. It's probably not a conspiracy but my tinfoil hat senses are tingling
I didn’t want to come out and say it but with historical prices versus prices now, something’s going on. I wonder if part of it is shifting the profits they get from taxes on regular gas into diesel to lessen burdern on consumers- although, it would still be a burden on consumers if they did that because of the supply chain cost increases.

I almost want to say my tinfoil senses are tingling also, just can’t find clear evidence of anything yet.

Users who are viewing this thread