5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did my own ceramic coating

ktl5005

Reaction score
Looks beautiful. I Pick up a 2019 Limited. Over the last week each evening I clayed it, buffed it. This weekend going to wash it, Iron X remove the iron, then ceramic coat it with Car Pro CQuartz UK 3.0. I have always used on all my vehicles. Never paid someone to do it.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Looks great and best of luck but I doubt the ceramic coating will last 5 years (all of that marketing is BS). After a year or so I'd say it'll be mostly gone (which is why so many brands sell "boosters" to compensate for the wear on the original coating). I've debated a coating myself multiple times but after looking into it more I just couldn't justify the constant upkeep with current coating costs.
Most last 2-3 years with proper maintenance, but then it is easy to re-apply after that. Better than waxing every 6-12 months

M3Master

Reaction score
So, I followed the OP's process to the letter. Only difference is that Adam's screwed up and didn't send me the strip wash...so I used Dawn. I am VERY pleased with the results. Really makes the factory orange peel pop! lol. Anyway, its a ton of work but worth it. If you think you have enough high quality microfiber...you probably don't. 50ml is enough to do the truck, wheels, trim...etc. If you want to put EXO on your wheels, you might need a little more since you are putting two coats on the whole truck.

OP is right, if you don't do it all at once, the CSL does crystalize a bit. It wasn't too bad at all...and I felt a piece and it was soft, so I used that **** anyway. lol. Didn't see any scratches in the direct sunlight. Truck is extremely hydrophobic and really easy to wash now since none of the water sticks. I even washed it in the direct sunlight in TX and no water spots.

Thanks @MilehighRam for doing the prototyping.

2020-05-29 11.48.45.jpg

2020-05-29-11-48-35-jpg.57746

Attachments

• 2020-05-29 11.48.35.jpg
    2020-05-29 11.48.35.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 81

PwrdbyM

Reaction score
I've done 100+ applications of ceramic for customers, but I always enjoy doing my own vehicles. I did my 20 Patriot Blue over the long weekend with CSL and Exov4. I strip washed, iron-x, clay (mitt) , polished with M205 and did the coating. I also coated the windows. My truck only has 300 miles on it so it's nice to get it done early. Although it sure had plenty of swirls on it from dealership lot rats cleaning it (the Ram has very soft paint). Be sure to top that ceramic with Beadmaker (as a drying aid to your wash) as it will protect the coating and allow a product like CSL/Exo last almost indefinitely.

M3Master

Reaction score
I've done 100+ applications of ceramic for customers, but I always enjoy doing my own vehicles. I did my 20 Patriot Blue over the long weekend with CSL and Exov4. I strip washed, iron-x, clay (mitt) , polished with M205 and did the coating. I also coated the windows. My truck only has 300 miles on it so it's nice to get it done early. Although it sure had plenty of swirls on it from dealership lot rats cleaning it (the Ram has very soft paint). Be sure to top that ceramic with Beadmaker (as a drying aid to your wash) as it will protect the coating and allow a product like CSL/Exo last almost indefinitely.
Awesome. I was wondering what to top it with! Thanks!

Edit: @PwrdbyM I assume you mean the Beadmaker C250P product?

Last edited:

Icecoldak

Reaction score
Looks beautiful. I Pick up a 2019 Limited. Over the last week each evening I clayed it, buffed it. This weekend going to wash it, Iron X remove the iron, then ceramic coat it with Car Pro CQuartz UK 3.0. I have always used on all my vehicles. Never paid someone to do it.

Grab you a bottle of their GLISS V2 as a topper after 2 coats of the UK 3.0--

PwrdbyM

Reaction score
Edit: @PwrdbyM I assume you mean the Beadmaker C250P product?
Yes, C250-the orange stuff! (I believe the 5th character denotes the size of the container). I'd recommend getting the gallon jug as it's much more cost effective and use your own spray bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread