5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did my own ceramic coating

MilehighRam

Reaction score
I decided on a DIY ceramic coating after reading all the reviews since I purchased my truck in October. Took about 15 hours over 3 days to complete. Ive got to say, Ive never owned a vehicle that looked so good! Most of the work was in the prep, and It sucked. When I was finished, my wife was staring into the hood and said “im dizzy looking at it, its like staring into the universe…I don’t even see any swirls”; that’s how I knew I did it right – it passed the wife test. I had to buy new microfiber cloths, a used DA polisher and all the items listed below. Probably $500 worth of materials, including the ceramic coating.

Its now 3 weeks since this was done, and decided to wash the last 2 snowstorms worth of crap off it. 2 things I noticed is the truck is VERY hydrophobic and it really was a lot easier to clean and dry (with a leaf blower and 1 MF cloth). Looks just like it did a month ago.

Here’s my process that I came up with, after hours of reading and researching. (bullet points didnt line up correctly, but you should get the idea)

• Touchup paint bumper
  • Make sure surface is clean/grease free
  • Give time to cure (overnight)
  • Wash (out of direct sunlight)
  • Remove tonneu cover
  • Adams strip wash
  • Foam cannon/gun
  • Wash mitt
  • Microfiber drying towel
  • Make sure to get top and bottom of running boards
  • Iron remover (iron x)
  • Clay bar
  • Remove grease with IPA
  • Paint correction/polishing
  • Apply polish to pad (3 to 4 spots) then tap around in your working area
  • 1st step – Adams compound on microfiber cutting pad (most aggressive of 3 steps)
  • 2nd step – Adams compound with blue pad
  • 3rd step – Adams polish with white pad (final polishing, fine)
  • 4 or so passes over same area in cross hatch pattern
  • Wash/dry (out of direct sunlight)
  • Adams strip wash
  • Microfiber dry w/ leaf blower
  • Double check at this point that the paint is up to my expectations; bring truck into direct sunlight to check.
  • Panel Wipe (Gtechniq product)
  • Removes any remaining oils; preps for ceramic coating and EXO
  • Apply ceramic coating
  • 1 layer of CSL
  • Up to 2 layers of EXO (one right after the other)
  • Curing – 2 days in garage
  • Gtechniq recommends 12 hours

Attachments

• 20200329_142158.jpg
    20200329_142158.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 408
  • 20200329_142337.jpg
    20200329_142337.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 402

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I decided on a DIY ceramic coating after reading all the reviews since I purchased my truck in October. Took about 15 hours over 3 days to complete. Ive got to say, Ive never owned a vehicle that looked so good! Most of the work was in the prep, and It sucked. When I was finished, my wife was staring into the hood and said “im dizzy looking at it, its like staring into the universe…I don’t even see any swirls”; that’s how I knew I did it right – it passed the wife test. I had to buy new microfiber cloths, a used DA polisher and all the items listed below. Probably $500 worth of materials, including the ceramic coating.

Its now 3 weeks since this was done, and decided to wash the last 2 snowstorms worth of crap off it. 2 things I noticed is the truck is VERY hydrophobic and it really was a lot easier to clean and dry (with a leaf blower and 1 MF cloth). Looks just like it did a month ago.

Here’s my process that I came up with, after hours of reading and researching. (bullet points didnt line up correctly, but you should get the idea)

• Touchup paint bumper
  • Make sure surface is clean/grease free
  • Give time to cure (overnight)
  • Wash (out of direct sunlight)
  • Remove tonneu cover
  • Adams strip wash
  • Foam cannon/gun
  • Wash mitt
  • Microfiber drying towel
  • Make sure to get top and bottom of running boards
  • Iron remover (iron x)
  • Clay bar
  • Remove grease with IPA
  • Paint correction/polishing
  • Apply polish to pad (3 to 4 spots) then tap around in your working area
  • 1st step – Adams compound on microfiber cutting pad (most aggressive of 3 steps)
  • 2nd step – Adams compound with blue pad
  • 3rd step – Adams polish with white pad (final polishing, fine)
  • 4 or so passes over same area in cross hatch pattern
  • Wash/dry (out of direct sunlight)
  • Adams strip wash
  • Microfiber dry w/ leaf blower
  • Double check at this point that the paint is up to my expectations; bring truck into direct sunlight to check.
  • Panel Wipe (Gtechniq product)
  • Removes any remaining oils; preps for ceramic coating and EXO
  • Apply ceramic coating
  • 1 layer of CSL
  • Up to 2 layers of EXO (one right after the other)
  • Curing – 2 days in garage
  • Gtechniq recommends 12 hours
Your rig looks phenomenal and your process is about as perfect as one would expect from a top notch professional detail job.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Looks awesome man very nice job! But you said you spent $500 on materials and tools!? Not sure i would of had the dedication to do the work plus spend $500. I would end up paying someone lol!

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Looks awesome man very nice job! But you said you spent $500 on materials and tools!? Not sure i would of had the dedication to do the work plus spend $500. I would end up paying someone lol!

If I’m not mistaken, I think some pros charge around $2,000 +. As stated, it seems like the majority of the work is prepping everything perfectly.

Here’s a good quick video if interested.

Last edited:

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Great description of process!! Thanks for posting. I've been going back and forth on whether to do this or not. I've got lots of detailing experience but have never applied a ceramic coat before. I think I'm gonna give it a try.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the kind words! The weather was nice, and I tried to take my time. It was therapeutic at times, but MAN was my shoulder tired when I was finished!

Reactions: Jtr

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the kind words! The weather was nice, and I tried to take my time. It was therapeutic at times, but MAN was my shoulder tired when I was finished!
I totally get your feelings of therapeutic angle of getting out of the house and babying a truck. Even though you'll be feeling those old muscles the next few days that havn't been worked in our normal life.

zlman

Reaction score
Looks great! Black paint is almost mandatory ceramic coat, I love black but I could never have it on a daily driver, I'd see every swirl and scratch. White or silver for me to keep my sanity.
<<<<<<< White won this time :cool:

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Looks great! Black paint is almost mandatory ceramic coat, I love black but I could never have it on a daily driver, I'd see every swirl and scratch. White or silver for me to keep my sanity.
<<<<<<< White won this time :cool:
I was actually looking for a white vehicle. Decided on a Limited, but didnt want the chrome. My last ram was black also, and I learned what not to do on it. This ones has only had hand washes by me or a touchless wash.

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score
Great job! I did the same to my truck. Three days and about 20+ hours. It's been about 1 1/2 years and everything is holding up just like new. Hardest part of washing it is keeping it wet.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Too much work for me but it looks very nice!

QFE! I did this on my 2019 Mustang GT/CS but forget about it on this beast. I will admit it is nice and amazing when done. Also makes follow up washes a breeze.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
figure its worth the time investment to enjoy it for 5 (ish) years

Maconi

Reaction score
Looks great and best of luck but I doubt the ceramic coating will last 5 years (all of that marketing is BS). After a year or so I'd say it'll be mostly gone (which is why so many brands sell "boosters" to compensate for the wear on the original coating). I've debated a coating myself multiple times but after looking into it more I just couldn't justify the constant upkeep with current coating costs.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Looks great and best of luck but I doubt the ceramic coating will last 5 years (all of that marketing is BS). After a year or so I'd say it'll be mostly gone (which is why so many brands sell "boosters" to compensate for the wear on the original coating). I've debated a coating myself multiple times but after looking into it more I just couldn't justify the constant upkeep with current coating costs.
I think proper maintenance is key. My truck is garage kept and not driven all that often. Hand washing with a ph neutral soap is important. Id be thrilled to get 3 years (let a lone 5). Time will tell.

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score

It all depends on the environment and how you maintain your vehicle. My 2016 MINI Cooper had Gtechniq Crystal Serum topped with EXO (I think it was v3 at the time). This car was garaged, never saw a car wash, and was washed by hand about once a month. Environment was Southern CA and AZ. Four years after the initial application, it was still holding up like new. Never reapplied any coatings, never buffed or polished, just hand washed. Still looked brand spanking new when we sold it a couple of months ago.

M3Master

Reaction score
I'm starting this OP's exact process on my Limited tomorrow morning. Probably will just do the bed section for the first pass and then let it cure in the garage for a couple of days.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
I'm starting this OP's exact process on my Limited tomorrow morning. Probably will just do the bed section for the first pass and then let it cure in the garage for a couple of days.

It'll be worth it. Take caution that if you dont do this in one application, the serum left on the rim of the container will likely cure. When you open it next, some of these particles can fall back into the liquid; not what you want to be rubbing on your ride.

Users who are viewing this thread