5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did my first oil change....

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
....and man, that oil filter was on tight!!! I have always hand tightened it such that I can easily spin it off the next time, with no tool needed. But this one absolutely required a filter wrench, and even then was pretty tough to move. Unreal.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's why i let dealer did the 1st one(which is free for me).
Same for me - thanks to the forum. Mechanic did a great job (used PUP) with a super attitude. I went for the next oil change and they put conventional oil in and the mechanic I liked had left. That ended the dealership oil changes and now a DIY.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Did you ask for synthetic? It seems they come with conventional so unless you specify... If you watch for FCA/RAM postcards, they still send out cheap 3x or 4x for $x occasionally.

Jako

Reaction score
Did you ask for synthetic? It seems they come with conventional so unless you specify... If you watch for FCA/RAM postcards, they still send out cheap 3x or 4x for $x occasionally.
I had no discussion on the type of oil that would be used for the first oil change. That oil change was in lieu of a refund from over paying on the registration. I searched out the mechanic (Derek) to tip him and I had a discussion over the oil where he said he used PUP, the filter was tough to get off and and it required a lot of clean up, very happy with Derek. The next oil change I requested Derek and was informed he left and again no discussion on the oil. From the discussion I had with Derek I was under the impression that the Ram used full synthetic from the factory and that is what the dealership uses. I explained this story to my mechanic and he was surprised to hear they put in conventional and thought it called for synthetic.
My first receipt showed a number and also had synthetic oil listed, second was just a number and I had to do an internet search to find that it was conventional Penzoil.
Growing up not poor but a little "financially strapped" taught me a lot - one was how to do an oil change and be a DIY. Being a DIY I also found a lot of "professionals" have a lower standard (good enough becomes the industry standard) than myself. I understand the professional is out to make a living so time is the equivalent to pay day. BUT the professional is the "knowledgeable" person so I felt I should have been asked by service as far as to the type of oil. No real harm done, lesson learned and I got to experience first hand "oil change is a PITA".
AND I get a https://www.valvomax.com/ for Christmas for future changes.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had no discussion on the type of oil that would be used for the first oil change. That oil change was in lieu of a refund from over paying on the registration. I searched out the mechanic (Derek) to tip him and I had a discussion over the oil where he said he used PUP, the filter was tough to get off and and it required a lot of clean up, very happy with Derek. The next oil change I requested Derek and was informed he left and again no discussion on the oil. From the discussion I had with Derek I was under the impression that the Ram used full synthetic from the factory and that is what the dealership uses. I explained this story to my mechanic and he was surprised to hear they put in conventional and thought it called for synthetic.
My first receipt showed a number and also had synthetic oil listed, second was just a number and I had to do an internet search to find that it was conventional Penzoil.
Growing up not poor but a little "financially strapped" taught me a lot - one was how to do an oil change and be a DIY. Being a DIY I also found a lot of "professionals" have a lower standard (good enough becomes the industry standard) than myself. I understand the professional is out to make a living so time is the equivalent to pay day. BUT the professional is the "knowledgeable" person so I felt I should have been asked by service as far as to the type of oil. No real harm done, lesson learned and I got to experience first hand "oil change is a PITA".
AND I get a https://www.valvomax.com/ for Christmas for future changes.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
To my knowledge, most dealerships stock conventional and Pennzoil Platinum, but not Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I’m happy to change my own oil, despite the awful filter location.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To my knowledge, most dealerships stock conventional and Pennzoil Platinum, but not Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I’m happy to change my own oil, despite the awful filter location.

That makes two of us!
No magnets on the filter, but is that oil filter mess a trip. All over the place! FWIW, I've found bringing a box of donuts helps with better service, however you still get what you get. Majority of those "in the business" aren't enthusiasts, as we are. That is why my truck rarely sees a dealer.

On my F150 I went every 5,000 miles for an oil change (every other month) and I supplied the oil. Had to go back 3 or 4 times after getting my truck back oil (door handle, steering wheel, seat, etc) or scratches on my truck. Not worth it. Much easier to crawl under the truck, wipe up the epoxy coated garage floor and run it through the under body wash at the car wash.

Jako

Reaction score
That makes two of us!
No magnets on the filter, but is that oil filter mess a trip. All over the place! FWIW, I've found bringing a box of donuts helps with better service, however you still get what you get. Majority of those "in the business" aren't enthusiasts, as we are. That is why my truck rarely sees a dealer.

On my F150 I went every 5,000 miles for an oil change (every other month) and I supplied the oil. Had to go back 3 or 4 times after getting my truck back oil (door handle, steering wheel, seat, etc) or scratches on my truck. Not worth it. Much easier to crawl under the truck, wipe up the epoxy coated garage floor and run it through the under body wash at the car wash.
I've done the cake/donuts routine. I think it is a good move depending on the number and people and such. Cross Country BMW is where I have had service done on the MCs and Joe the service manager was super with imparting information and explaining info, not a bull888888, so I bring in a batch from my local bakery for the service dept. That was my first visit with Salerno Ram's service so I sought out the mechanic. People should get recognized for doing good work.

Oil was listed as 5166240PA OIL 5W20 synthetic - thought it was PUP, company coming no time to look up #. I may be mistaken, that was March 6th.
2nd oil change was 68055890AA OIL NS7. Internet search listed it as Penzoil Conventional 5-20.
Thanks to all on Forum.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I usually take my vehicle to the dealership for oil changes because it’s not much more and I like that they have the records since I’m leasing. I’ve seen something like this a few years ago and recently stumbled across this. It seems like a way better way. Has anyone tried this?

Dynamite

Reaction score
I usually take my vehicle to the dealership for oil changes because it’s not much more and I like that they have the records since I’m leasing. I’ve seen something like this a few years ago and recently stumbled across this. It seems like a way better way. Has anyone tried this?

I used to work with that pump of the video to do radiator, brake, power steering or differential flushes when i worked at a Dodge Dealer long time ago at Texas.

Its good, fast and easy for differentials without drain plug so you dont have to remove all the cover.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That's how I change the oil in my boat.... can't get to the drain plugs on the twin 5.7s. Never an issue with it, but in the truck I'd much rather it drain all out and be sure all the crap is out of there.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The thing I don't like about the pump set up is pulling heavy settled crud up through the oil drain port clearings, which have become really small in modern engines. I realize that good oil pressure probably knocks anything out that clogs, but I don't see the value in needlessly pulling crud back through the engine that has settled into the low point of an oil pan.

Those pump set ups definitely have their uses - I've used them to change gear oil in a Ford toploader manual, for example, when the plugs were stripped. But on a new truck with functional drain plugs I wouldn't do it.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
The thing I don't like about the pump set up is pulling heavy settled crud up through the oil drain port clearings, which have become really small in modern engines. I realize that good oil pressure probably knocks anything out that clogs, but I don't see the value in needlessly pulling crud back through the engine that has settled into the low point of an oil pan.

Those pump set ups definitely have their uses - I've used them to change gear oil in a Ford toploader manual, for example, when the plugs were stripped. But on a new truck with functional drain plugs I wouldn't do it.
Isn't the oil going thru the tube on the pump? I don't see how you are pulling oil or crud thru the engine?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn't the oil going thru the tube on the pump? I don't see how you are pulling oil or crud thru the engine?
Yes, you are right if you can pump through the oil dipstick tube. I was just talking in general, they don't all work like that. Some dipstick tubes aren't big enough to run a hose through and some pumps pressurize and suck the oil in reverse through the fill cap.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Yes, you are right if you can pump through the oil dipstick tube. I was just talking in general, they don't all work like that. Some dipstick tubes aren't big enough to run a hose through and some pumps pressurize and suck the oil in reverse through the fill cap.
Yeah the latter does not sound like a good idea. All of the units I've looked at are for home use and go thru the dipstick. May get one so I can use it for the lawn mowers and truck.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah the latter does not sound like a good idea. All of the units I've looked at are for home use and go thru the dipstick. May get one so I can use it for the lawn mowers and truck.
I've used a few different ones and the one I linked to above seems to be the best for the price. Also look at the mityvac.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score

I own a top-end oil extractor and have used it much on my older European cars. It has always worked quite well, and I believe the one I own will hold about 12 quarts or so. I wasn't able to use it a few years back with my 2015 BMW 435xi because they no longer had a tube that went straight from the oil filter, down to the oil tank, while previous versions of the car did. I didn't bother with my 2018 JLUR since it was SO easy to change the oil in. Assuming I can get the extractor tubing down the check oil tube, then I'll start using it again.

eyeguy

Reaction score
Did my first change last night. I was able to get both hands on the filter by laying under front bumper. One hand from front and one from back side. left and right access is non existent. My truck has org and was jacked up about 3-4 inches. The filter like others have said was darn tight! Tried a channel lock pliers first bc I didnt think I could get a filter wrench on it. Crushed it with pliers and couldnt get it to turn. Was able to get a filter wrench on from the front access and 1/8-1/4 turn per stroke got it off. What surprised me was after I turned it close to one full turn with wrench it still wouldnt budge by hand even though I had a pretty good grip on it. After it was removed using the gallon ziplock with fair success i greased the new filter rubber. After hand tightening I usually turn it 1/2 turn back out and then tight again. Wasnt able to turn back by hand after hand tight. On this truck its almost like there is an extra rubber gripper holding the filter in place...?
When I replaced the filter I used one with the nut on the bottom so this should help next time.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
16 months and 10K miles into ownership, and I just did oil change #2. It was just under a year and 7K miles since the last one, and the oil life monitor showed 25% remaining. Went with PUP and a Mobil 1 EP filter again.

This time around, the Fumoto valve made draining the pan MUCH easier, and patient use of a gallon Ziplock bag caught most of the oil.

I noticed the filter was barely hand-tight; this matches stories from other forum members about needing to check this every 5K or so. I cranked the new one down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online