5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did I make the right choice????

Donaldo

Reaction score
Purchased a 20 Limited last Friday, last four vehicles were Ford F150's. The last two were with the Lariat trim. To be honest, I was just bored with the F150's. Now I am hearing from my friends that I will be sorry for making the switch to RAM. Do I have anything to worry about?

You will need to report back in 6 months and you can be the judge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doctorxring

Reaction score
I’ve had nothing but F-150’s since I got out of school in ‘76. Six of them. And everyone one was a damn good pickup. It was time to get a new F150 this year. I had been reading comparo reviews in the mags and kept seeing Ram as #1 in every dang one. I had to go to my local dealer and check them out. I test drove 2 different ones. I told the salesman, “if we can come to terms I’ll buy one of these pickups”. We did and I’ve had a grin on my face every time I get in it. :)

rebel without a cause

Reaction score
Traded in my 2017 F150 w/ Ecoboost on a 2020 Ram Rebel. So far 3 weeks in and the Rebel blows away my old F-150. Everything about the Rebel is better, the ride, suspension, sound system and performance.

The only negative is fuel economy. The Ford was a 3.5 liter with a twin turbo (great little little engine).

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the top three truck selling brands. They would all do and work well for whatever you need.

However the RAM is the current leader with their refresh. I'm sure the 2021 F150 will narrow the gap or possibly move past it. Ford in the past has been pretty conservative not wanting to alienate their cash cow with dramatic changes, but they have to do something. I suspect the interiors will be greatly improved, a very large screen added, and possibly the shifter removed for a shift knob.

Even with those changes I still think the Ram looks nicer on the exterior...but that is subjective. Ford needs to offer some nice looking exterior options like Ram does (black editions, etc).

LimitedDRP23

Reaction score
Figured I needed to pile on... In my 34 years of life I have owned a ton of trucks, mostly Fords. Some other vehicles too.... mixed bag, Honda, Chevy's, Pontiac, Subaru. I am a car guy, pure and simple. I too consider myself a Ford guy who happens to own a RAM. In the garage we have 2020 Subaru Ascent Limited (wife's ride) and a 2004 Corvette Z51 Vert. The Ascent is a wonderful vehicle and one we plan on keeping for the long haul... Currently toying with the idea of grabbing a C5 or C6 Z06 to turn into a race car (that's a story for another day).

1988 Silverado (lowered)
1999 F150 XLT
2004 F150 XLT (lifted)
2010 F150 XLT
2012 F150 XLT
2013 F150 (Favorite of them all - FX4 Luxury)
2015 F250 Lariat Sport
2015 F150 Lariat
2017 F150 Lariat Sport (502a - Top of the line for Lariat)

I made the switch due to the sole fact I wanted something different. I looked at a 2019 & 2020 Platinum F150 and at the end of the day they were pretty much the same truck I already had. Looked at a Raptor... just couldn't bring myself to spend damn near $70k on a half ton baja truck that will only pound pavement. I drove all (4) of the leading half ton brands (Nissan doesn't exist in my world) and at the end of the day IMHO the RAM was clearly better than the rest of the field. The GM offering was poor at best (Loaded Sierra AT4) and the Tundra (Platinum) was just way too dated. Long term reliability for me never enters the decision making process when buying trucks as I have a tendency to get bored with them and switch them out. Unlike some, my truck really isn't my baby and it functions as more of a tool. In my professional life I need a nice truck that I can pick people up in and take them to lunch (sales calls & golf). In my personal life I need a truck as I use the bed for house projects big & small. I can tell you that I did in fact have issues with both of my last two F150's (Pano roof issues and failed 4wd hub solenoids), but those issues wouldn't prevent me from buying another Ford. I have caught a little static from folks about the RAM, but once I explain the logic and give them my thorough review of each platform they understand my logic. There is also a reason why it won MT truck of the year in 2019 & 2020.

My advice to the OP..... who cares what other people think, it's your life and your money, do what you want with it. There are only a few people in my life who's opinion really matters, my wife and my folks, that's it.

Benji80

Reaction score
Could you be a little more specific or are you a RAM basher from way back??????
I'm not a ram basher by any means. I had a 2012 that I put over 200k miles on. I probably should have kept that one. Would have been more reliable than this POS. My 2019 has been back to the dealership with problems more than all my other vehicles combined that I've owned over the years...at least 10 times. Now, I'm accepting the fact that I may have just gotten a lemon here but the problems with the new rams seem to be pretty common. I know other people that are having issues as well. Good luck, hopefully you got one of the good ones.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I considered Ford and Chevy but couldn't justify their price with the way they were setup and the outdated look. The looks of the Ram are way better in my opinion and it brought all of the options and features together. The air suspension is the icing on the cake after the LED lights, Pano Roof, huge back seat, and great towing safety, capacity, and comfort got me to look at the truck. It tows like a dream and I use it almost a third of the time as a tow vehicle. I also own a Honda, Toyota and Ford and each works well in its own right. My Ram does an all around fantastic job at everything except get great gas mileage and park in the tightest spots (due to size only).

DennisY

Reaction score
Purchased a 20 Limited last Friday, last four vehicles were Ford F150's. The last two were with the Lariat trim. To be honest, I was just bored with the F150's. Now I am hearing from my friends that I will be sorry for making the switch to RAM. Do I have anything to worry about?

You've had it a month now...what do you think so far? I love mine! I had F150s for 20 years (three over that time) but I sure love this RAM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online