5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did I make the right choice????

Tkshaffer

Reaction score
Funny how many of us there are. I loved my 13 f150 like a country song and it was a great truck for nearly 8 years. I would have purchased another but the ram just offers more bang for the buck in the current model for what I was looking for so zero regrets. I will say that ecoboost was so smooth and powerful but I smile every time I hear the HEMI. I don’t think there is a right or wrong, just a choice based on the features that are important to you. Don’t think I could give up my 12 inch screen or ram boxes for anything ford offers at the moment. Love both trucks but ram is really bringing it at the moment.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hell no! Nothing to worry about at all. Don't get to caught up in these threads about issues. People that are happy with their trucks and are not obsessed with customizations etc generally aren't looking for a forum. People with issues are.

I came from a 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat that was loaded. The interior fit and finish, tech, ride, heated/cooled seats, silent cab, etc. of the Ram make this truck seem like a Cadillac and the Ford a Fiat. I liked my Ford, but I absolutely love everything about my Ram. I have zero buyers remorse. You're in for a pleasant surprise.
You know your truck is made by FIAT, right?

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I owned three consecutive Rams, then went to a 2017 F150 5.0 to try something different. The F150 was trouble free, but I couldn't get over the cheap interior and wallowy ride. If you're worried about reliability in the Ram, spend some time on the F150 forums, lots of issues over there. The Ram rides better, is quieter, and has a drastically better interior. I see just as many complaints about water leaks on the F150 forums as I do on here, I think every manufacturer has some vehicles that will develop issues.

Brady_SS

Reaction score
I owned 4 Chevy's, a Ford, and a GMC before I bought my RAM. None were or have been 100% perfect and none were or have been really bad either. They all have their spots. In the end I have not regretted buying any of them and so far I have been the happiest with my RAM. Only you can decide if you made a good choice or not.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Like others have said, the Ram is a great truck and your friends don't know what they are talking about. I am on my 2nd Ram and 5th FCA product without any major issues other than the ones I caused with my Hellcat. I drove my friend's 2016 F150 Lariat with the 3.5 Ecoboost with a car hauler and a Hellcat on the back across the country. If you are doing any type of towing with your truck you will see that the Ram Limited with air suspension is superior.

I do suggest getting the FCA 7 year/unlimited mile max care warranty from https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com (Zeigler dealer group runs it) for $2,790 when using the promo code "PAYINFULL". I have not had to really use the max care warranty on any of my cars but things break and when they do, it's more expensive because of the technology. 1 relatively minor repair can cover the cost of the $2,790.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I've never owned a Ford, but have been a lifelong GM guy. The first non-GM truck I bought was an SRT-10 quad cab, bit of a toy really since I'm a Viper guy. When I went looking for a new daily driver last year, I went with the new RAM. I absolutely love this truck, and it also impresses my wife. That's not easy! Enjoy your truck, and my money says you made the right decision.

69385vette

Reaction score
I bought a 2020 RAM Limited 4x4 in late December. I traded my 2015 Silverado LTZ 4x4. I looked at the new Silverado (it looked really cheap inside) and the GM Denali ( they had none in stock). The Dodge dealer gave me what I wanted for trade in and knocked $15K off the MSRP. You can't go wrong with the 2020 Truck of the Year! Inside is really sweet and the ride is smooth and quiet. I cruise around at night just to see the auto headlights work LOL Very cool. I don't see anything that compares from Ford or GM. Terrific truck, very pleased.

airgas1998

Reaction score
I bought a 2020 RAM Limited 4x4 in late December. I traded my 2015 Silverado LTZ 4x4. I looked at the new Silverado (it looked really cheap inside) and the GM Denali ( they had none in stock). The Dodge dealer gave me what I wanted for trade in and knocked $15K off the MSRP. You can't go wrong with the 2020 Truck of the Year! Inside is really sweet and the ride is smooth and quiet. I cruise around at night just to see the auto headlights work LOL Very cool. I don't see anything that compares from Ford or GM. Terrific truck, very pleased.
wow you got some not so boring rides in your sig......nice....

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not brand loyal but this is my second Ram and I've been very happy with them, no major issues and they ride and well. I would consider an F150 depending on what they do with the 2021 model. The current model is a bit dated in the interior and I'm not real fond of the wavy sheet metal down the sides of the truck. Just looks cheap to me and they all have it.

derp

Reaction score
Like others have said, the Ram is a great truck and your friends don't know what they are talking about. I am on my 2nd Ram and 5th FCA product without any major issues other than the ones I caused with my Hellcat. I drove my friend's 2016 F150 Lariat with the 3.5 Ecoboost with a car hauler and a Hellcat on the back across the country. If you are doing any type of towing with your truck you will see that the Ram Limited with air suspension is superior.

I do suggest getting the FCA 7 year/unlimited mile max care warranty from https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com (Zeigler dealer group runs it) for $2,790 when using the promo code "PAYINFULL". I have not had to really use the max care warranty on any of my cars but things break and when they do, it's more expensive because of the technology. 1 relatively minor repair can cover the cost of the $2,790.
My personal experience, I believe a roll of toilet paper more valuable than a extended warranty locking me into more FCA service centers. I am actively working towards more self diagnostics and a warranty that doesn't lock me into FCA for warranty work due to my awful experiences to date. I am 2/2 on terrible service centers. I don't think I have the heart to go 3/3 when I know a very good third party shop down the road from my office.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now I am hearing from my friends that I will be sorry for making the switch to RAM. Do I have anything to worry about?

you don’t have anything to worry about, but your friends might.
looks like you have ~25 new Ram friends just waiting in the wings.

friend!

popcenator

Reaction score
Everyone's opinion of Dodge products usually comes from experience long ago, when there may have been quality issues. Dodge/Ram products now-a-days are a completely different product. Bottom line, if you're happy with it, who cares how they feel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DennisY

Reaction score
I owned three consecutive Rams, then went to a 2017 F150 5.0 to try something different. The F150 was trouble free, but I couldn't get over the cheap interior and wallowy ride. If you're worried about reliability in the Ram, spend some time on the F150 forums, lots of issues over there. The Ram rides better, is quieter, and has a drastically better interior. I see just as many complaints about water leaks on the F150 forums as I do on here, I think every manufacturer has some vehicles that will develop issues.

Be careful with the comments you see. People usually first go to forums to complain, not to share praise. Ford trucks hugely outsell the rest of the field. Gotta be something to that I would say. I am a 20 year F150 owner (3 different ones) and never had any serious issues. However, it was getting to be time to replace my last F150 and I wasn't a huge fan of the F150 styling for 2019 and the few years before. I saw the 2019 RAM and really liked it. A test drive sold me.

You'll find lots of people here complaining about this and that with their RAMs, and lots of people complaining on the Ford and Chevy forums. But most of us, all love our vehicles. These forums are a good place to learn some new tricks with our trucks or to ask questions. Mostly a great bunch of people can be found on each of the forums.

This was meant to be a generic reply but to Mchurch52's comment, I never had any water leaks or wallowy rides on my F150s. And mine were quite quiet. Now, my last one was 10 years old and it was time to get a new truck imho. But there was absolutely nothing wrong with it and someone probably got a great deal on it on the used car lot. Technology has made a serious leap since I bought that one and I think RAM is out in front in that regard at the moment. Two years in a row as Motor Trend's Truck of the Year? That alone probably speaks volumes.

As I often say, your mileage may vary.

Smerberj

Reaction score
Keep an eye out for water leaks in your cabin, seems to be VERY common for these 2019-2020 trucks.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Three things:

1. Don't have such little faith in your own sense of judgement. What the hell do your friends know that you dont?

2. You've already bought it so what difference does it make even if your friends were right? It's not like you can go back and alter time.

3. You're not joined with this truck until you are dead. If it turns out to be awful you can sell it, trade it, abandon it, or set it on fire in the parking lot. You have options.

Honestly, you are worrying about **** that simply doesn't matter. I have 8k plus miles on my Ram and it has been a great truck. Yours might totally suck; that's the funny thing about life - it's a crapshoot. HOWEVER, most people have great experiences with these trucks so far, or else they wouldn't still be selling hundreds of thousands of them.

slowjam

Reaction score
I've owned an 05, 11, and 18 RAM, also a 2000 F-150, and 2014 Silverado and 2015 GMC. No major issues with any of them, but just about ALL of them have seen the dealer, time or two.

End of this year I will be looking for a new lease to replace my 2018 RAM.
Drove 3 RAMs, but I will keep my options opened. Tried to consider the EcoDiesel real hard, but I doubt it will happen.

- Chevy 1500 Baby Duramax drives much better, however the interior is the same as my 2014 (which I bough in 2013)

- I love the exterior of the new GMC, but the interior is outdated, so is the 5.3 engine. The 6.2L engine is very rare or requires the Denali trim which is cost prohibitive, in my case.
- There are some spy photos floating around of the 2021 F150. Hope they redo the interior as it is very outdated compared to the RAM's. I love the EcoBoost and its power+Economy, not so much the sound. Love my HEMI exhaust tone!

If the F150 comes up with the major facelift (mostly interior, in my case) I might go that route...not easy to make a $60k decision.

Benji80

Reaction score
Purchased a 20 Limited last Friday, last four vehicles were Ford F150's. The last two were with the Lariat trim. To be honest, I was just bored with the F150's. Now I am hearing from my friends that I will be sorry for making the switch to RAM. Do I have anything to worry about?
Yes a lot. Sorry

Users who are viewing this thread