5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did I get ripped off? Dealership up-charged?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just search brake fluid flush interval. A dozen sources that say it should be done, with different intervals. Pretty much any caliper piston that locks up, is due to moisture in the system.
Never had that happen in almost one million miles. Guess I must be one lucky SOB.😆

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Brake lines don't cause a piston to rust in place.
No, but a brake line that has swelled and won't release pressure will lock up a caliper or wheel cylinder until you crack the bleeder to release pressure

Dewey

Reaction score
Go ask any reputable mechanic/shop and see what they say. Just because you have driven for 35 years doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Some people never change their trans fluid and it last well over 200k miles, does that make it right or wrong?
I don’t care what other people do, just sharing my experience. Never said it was right or wrong. It’s your vehicle and it not up to me to make that decision. Do whatever makes you feel better.

6of36

Reaction score
No, but a brake line that has swelled and won't release pressure will lock up a caliper or wheel cylinder until you crack the bleeder to release pressure
I agree a swelled brake hose will make brakes drag. I've had that happen. But the piston was not locked up. That's a different situation. For it to actually freeze, its from the moisture causing rust in the parts.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Just search brake fluid flush interval. A dozen sources that say it should be done, with different intervals. Pretty much any caliper piston that locks up, is due to moisture in the system.

Yea, I did research that says my Johnson needs it's fluid changed regularly too. My wife claims to be an expert and disputes this research. It hasn't locked up yet so I can't prove her wrong.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree a swelled brake hose will make brakes drag. I've had that happen. But the piston was not locked up. That's a different situation. For it to actually freeze, its from the moisture causing rust in the parts.
You didn't say "freeze" in your first comment I replied to. You are arguing semantics now to try and prove me wrong. Even though you already agreed a bad brake line will cause the brakes to lock up and not release.

6of36

Reaction score
You didn't say "freeze" in your first comment I replied to. You are arguing semantics now to try and prove me wrong. Even though you already agreed a bad brake line will cause the brakes to lock up and not release.
The whole point was moisture in the fluid, not anything that can cause brake problems. Brake fluid absorbs moisture, even in the closed system, and changing is recommended.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As to the OP...

Differential fluid was not due yet. Takes 5 or 6 quarts at $15 each to do front and rear and is easier than engine oil to change. You did get ripped off there, but it is done so...

Brake fluid is more about time than mileage. Not bad to get it done every 3 or 4 years. But you got overcharged at least $50 even for a dealer

mynameisante

Reaction score
At this point, just google intervals and set a reminder in your calendar to change your fluids around that time/mileage lol

6of36

Reaction score
As to the OP...

Differential fluid was not due yet. Takes 5 or 6 quarts at $15 each to do front and rear and is easier than engine oil to change. You did get ripped off there, but it is done so...

Brake fluid is more about time than mileage. Not bad to get it done every 3 or 4 years. But you got overcharged at least $50 even for a dealer
After thinking about it since the first post, it depends on where he lives, if the price is high. In the south east, labor would be cheaper than New York, or Commiefornia.

Casull

Reaction score
why do this????

by doing it you are calling the people stupid
because if the people didn't like it they would vote them OUT!

call you own state names but leave ours out

Ever wonder why commiefornia is losing population, while the red states are gaining?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For context...

I own a 2020 Ram 1500 DT with the eco-diesel. I have never been a fan of getting service done by the dealer, it always feels like they have overcharged for oil changes compared to a local shop i trust. Today i took it in, to the actual dealer, with a little over 46k miles for a general oil/fuel filter service, tire rotation and tailgate latch recall.

When i arrived, i was told that it was due for differential case oil R&R (~$400) as well as brake fluid flush (~$200). Since i regularly use this vehicle and want to make sure it lasts as long as possible, i agreed to both.

Later on, i started looking and didn't see either of these as recommended items for this milage mark in the service manual. The only reason i took it to the dealer to begin with was to address the latch recall.

So... did i get ripped off and sold stuff i didn't actually need, or were these things beneficial for me to do for the extra dough?

That's why it's called up-selling. They play on the idea of giving it better care than it actually needs and also the theory of OEM brand parts being better. Both those things are arguably BS, but the dealers all do it. Because it's profitable. You just now figure that out? For starters, you don't have to let them talk you into stuff. And if you want more bang for the buck, do it yourself or find a trustworthy brand-neutral repair shop.

6of36

Reaction score
why do this????

by doing it you are calling the people stupid
because if the people didn't like it they would vote them OUT!

call you own state names but leave ours out
Because it has turned into a communist state. I don't know why you haven't voted them out. From everything I ever hear about it, I never want to visit it. Been to New York. It's a toilet. Commiefornia sounds worse.

Users who are viewing this thread