5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did I get ripped off? Dealership up-charged?

jluff007

Reaction score
For context...

I own a 2020 Ram 1500 DT with the eco-diesel. I have never been a fan of getting service done by the dealer, it always feels like they have overcharged for oil changes compared to a local shop i trust. Today i took it in, to the actual dealer, with a little over 46k miles for a general oil/fuel filter service, tire rotation and tailgate latch recall.

When i arrived, i was told that it was due for differential case oil R&R (~$400) as well as brake fluid flush (~$200). Since i regularly use this vehicle and want to make sure it lasts as long as possible, i agreed to both.

Later on, i started looking and didn't see either of these as recommended items for this milage mark in the service manual. The only reason i took it to the dealer to begin with was to address the latch recall.

So... did i get ripped off and sold stuff i didn't actually need, or were these things beneficial for me to do for the extra dough?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For context...

I own a 2020 Ram 1500 DT with the eco-diesel. I have never been a fan of getting service done by the dealer, it always feels like they have overcharged for oil changes compared to a local shop i trust. Today i took it in, to the actual dealer, with a little over 46k miles for a general oil/fuel filter service, tire rotation and tailgate latch recall.

When i arrived, i was told that it was due for differential case oil R&R (~$400) as well as brake fluid flush (~$200). Since i regularly use this vehicle and want to make sure it lasts as long as possible, i agreed to both.

Later on, i started looking and didn't see either of these as recommended items for this milage mark in the service manual. The only reason i took it to the dealer to begin with was to address the latch recall.

So... did i get ripped off and sold stuff i didn't actually need, or were these things beneficial for me to do for the extra dough?
Probably wasn't a bad idea to get differential fluid changed, although the charge seems a bit high for that. As for brake fluid, they definitely pulled one over on you with that

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s nothing you can do about it now so take the L or double check service intervals prior to taking your truck in.

Also the differential fluid is easy to change by yourself. Just a little time consuming. A lot of services are pushed to sale as “ preventative maintenance”

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There’s nothing you can do about it now so take the L or double check service intervals prior to taking your truck in.

Also the differential fluid is easy to change by yourself. Just a little time consuming. A lot of services are pushed to sale as “ preventative maintenance”

This and end of discussion unless you're willing to go back and "argue" it with the service manager

6of36

Reaction score
Probably wasn't a bad idea to get differential fluid changed, although the charge seems a bit high for that. As for brake fluid, they definitely pulled one over on you with that
Prices are high, but although I have never done it, never kept on long enough, but they do recommend flushing brake fluid every few years. I don't remember recommended interval, but brake fluid absorbs moisture, and should be flushed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Prices are high, but although I have never done it, never kept on long enough, but they do recommend flushing brake fluid every few years. I don't remember recommended interval, but brake fluid absorbs moisture, and should be flushed.
If you never open the cap, it shouldn't absorb that much moisture. And still. It something he should have needed yet

6of36

Reaction score
And the best way to find out how often to change brake fluid is to follow your manufacturer's recommendations. Some manufacturers say you should replace your brake fluid every two years. Others recommend every three years, or every 45,000 miles.

Not too early.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$400 for driveline fluids changed, not a terrible price. There are always the people that will do it themself and save money. I wonder what ZF recommends for replacing their diff fluids(yes they make the front diffs for Ram)? 30-60k is a good service interval on the driveline. I will change mine 1 a year because I can. It's called preventative maintenance for a reason.

Brake fluid can absorb moisture in so many ways, the cap isn't the only way. I suggest put it in the Google and read up on it.

6of36

Reaction score
$400 for driveline fluids changed, not a terrible price. There are always the people that will do it themself and save money. I wonder what ZF recommends for replacing their diff fluids(yes they make the front diffs for Ram)? 30-60k is a good service interval on the driveline. I will change mine 1 a year because I can. It's called preventative maintenance for a reason.

Brake fluid can absorb moisture in so many ways, the cap isn't the only way. I suggest put it in the Google and read up on it.
He only said differential, not drive line. There is no truck info, other than diesel. He may have 2wd, so only 1 diff. Without more info, hard to say if price is good or not. And I do recall that front and rear difs take different fluids according to manual.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He only said differential, not drive line. There is no truck info, other than deisel. He may have 2wd, so only 1 diff. Without more info, hard to say if price is good or not.
True, I did assume alot. If $400 for a diff that is ridiculous. We are at $349 for driveline/4x4 service.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And the best way to find out how often to change brake fluid is to follow your manufacturer's recommendations. Some manufacturers say you should replace your brake fluid every two years. Others recommend every three years, or every 45,000 miles.

Not too early.

I will say, there should be no reason you need to change your brake fluid before you have to replace your brake pads.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What does pad life have to do with fluid?
About as much as mileage has anything to do with any fluid change. It's just a means to schedule service, not necessarily when it's required.

Dewey

Reaction score
I’ve never replaced brake fluid in any vehicle UNLESS a master cylinder has been replaced. Haven’t had to do that since a vehicle built in the 80’s. I’ve driven 25,000+ miles/year for the last 35 years.

Funny I never had braking issues or failures all those years with fluid that supposedly requires changing.🤔

Dealerships that push this stuff are just grabbing your cash. That’s what they do.

6of36

Reaction score
Just search brake fluid flush interval. A dozen sources that say it should be done, with different intervals. Pretty much any caliper piston that locks up, is due to moisture in the system.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just search brake fluid flush interval. A dozen sources that say it should be done, with different intervals. Pretty much any caliper piston that locks up, is due to moisture in the system.
Or deteriorated brake lines

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve never replaced brake fluid in any vehicle UNLESS a master cylinder has been replaced. Haven’t had to do that since a vehicle built in the 80’s. I’ve driven 25,000+ miles/year for the last 35 years.

Funny I never had braking issues or failures all those years with fluid that supposedly requires changing.🤔

Dealerships that push this stuff are just grabbing your cash. That’s what they do.
Go ask any reputable mechanic/shop and see what they say. Just because you have driven for 35 years doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Some people never change their trans fluid and it last well over 200k miles, does that make it right or wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread