5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

did anyone "Test Drive"your truck before "Purchase"?

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this is my 2nd truck that i did not test drive first.i did in a friend of my 2018 ram.but not the new one that i purchase.my first was the new 07 avalanche and the ram.all i care is can i get "In and out of it".i have not been disappointed.how about you all?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I test drove a fully equipped BigHorn, ended up buying a Limited and taking that back due to leakage. The Laramie I have now I said exactly what I wanted and had delivered to my selling dealership. Drove it home after signing.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
this is my 2nd truck that i did not test drive first.i did in a friend of my 2018 ram.but not the new one that i purchase.my first was the new 07 avalanche and the ram.all i care is can i get "In and out of it".i have not been disappointed.how about you all?
I test-drove several Rams back-to-back with the competition, on more than one occasion. I ordered a Ram, and I test-drove that one before taking delivery.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought mine off the lot with 8 miles on the odometer, including my test drive. It was the only BigHorn Sport that they had. It was between the one I got and a Blue Streak with chrome. Sport won out. I just don’t like the chrome grills.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Test drove one a couple months before I special ordered my truck then when it arrived a test drive of that one was first thing I did before starting the paperwork.

Mason1217

Reaction score
I’ve never leased or purchased any vehicle without test driving. Not sure why you would? Too big of a purchase or too long to be locked into a lease to get home and find something wrong. Trim pieces, squeaks and rattles, double check all the options you wanted. Even if it’s a quick 5 minute drive you can catch obvious stuff if there is any.

Trfnj74

Reaction score
I ordered my Limited, when it arrived I took it for 70ish miles test drive. I wanted to make sure it performed on the highway as well as the city. I told the dealership I wasn't signing anything until I took it on a extended test drive.

Lize

Reaction score
I've bought a few cars which I've never test driven, mainly because they are unusual or imports that aren't on a lot. Always been pleased with them and never surprised or disappointed, generally online reviews have been very accurate in setting expectation. Hopefully the same can be said about the Ram when it arrives!

19reb

I didn't test drive my specific truck. But did test drive another Rebel in the process of buying my truck. My truck was driven 700 miles from one dealer to another by an employee, unfortunately!

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Test drove mine. 3 miles on it before test drive. Signed the papers and this baby is mine. Haven’t looked back since.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brought in my Charger for a warranty repair on the driver door panel. Sales lady saw me looking at the truck, and came talk to me. Had some time to kill, so why not test it out? After all, I’m just looking!

As soon as we got back to the dealership I told her let’s start paperwork. Had my dad come pick me up to go get some cash for down payment. Closed the sale on the Ram before the Charger repair was finished :cool:

Lize

Reaction score
Brought in my Charger for a warranty repair on the driver door panel. Sales lady saw me looking at the truck, and came talk to me. Had some time to kill, so why not test it out? After all, I’m just looking!

As soon as we got back to the dealership I told her let’s start paperwork. Had my dad come pick me up to go get some cash for down payment. Closed the sale on the Ram before the Charger repair was finished :cool:
Sounds just like me. Once popped into dealer to say hello and get them to top my tyres up with nitrogen whilst I was passing by. Came out with a new car on order!

edgarrian

Reaction score
I didnt test drive my rebel before purchase. I put down 500 to lock it in my name and picked it up. Its been a good decision thus far. I understand the thought process on test driving before purchase but you could have problems after only 1000 miles so I don't think a test is really that big of a deal.

Back in 2007 when the economy was cracking a Ford Dealer was offering a free fill up if you test drove a vehicle. I had time to kill so I went and test drove premium mustang. I was gone for maybe 15 minutes and came back. The salesman asked me if I wanted to take it for the weekend. I said sure. Hell I ended up buying the damn thing. I still have it. Ive done all kinds of work to it. It puts down 550 at the wheel and is a fun weekend car. I have ran 10.9 in the 1/4.

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
First ride was a big horn. Loved how it rode so I found a Limited I liked 60 miles away. I went up and gave it a short drive then went over every inch of it for an hour or so. It was good except one of the cables for the rear seat recline was off. They took care of that and I closed the deal. Love the truck!

GAscooter

Reaction score
I test drove a GMC Denali then drove a Ram 1500 Laramie. The Denali is a nice truck, but the Laramie was hands down a nicer ride. While I was working on the deal for the Laramie I asked them for some numbers on a Longhorn at a sister dealership. They brought it 20 miles over for me to look at, and wow what a really nice truck. I still test drove it before signing. Love the Ram.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds just like me. Once popped into dealer to say hello and get them to top my tyres up with nitrogen whilst I was passing by. Came out with a new car on order!
Car dealers and electronics stores are my weaknesses! Also, I saw Maloo in your signature and had to look it up, since I wasn't familiar with the name. That is one cool looking vehicle!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Funny, the dealer I purchased from has a policy that you must test drive the exact vehicle you are purchasing. I first test drove a Rebel with the exact same equipment, exact, but I decided I wanted the other color. They made me drive the other color! The salesperson said that the manager insists that before any vehicle drives off the lot he wants the buyer to have driven it. I asked if that also applied to custom ordered trucks and he said yes it did, that they are under strict orders that before any vehicle is delivered it must be driven by the buyer. Thought that was interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread