5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Detailing/Waxing 2020 RAM Limited

llackey23

Reaction score
Anybody have any feedback for detailing these new trucks? I see all kinds of waxes - I am looking for something I dont have to use a motorized tool on. Toque Detail looks to be pretty good as well as Jescar Microfinishing Polish - any suggestions out there?

GRB60

Reaction score
There's a million choices. Any will work, but the latest and greatest are the ceramic products. If you want to spend a little, use the ones in the big box stores, such as Turtle Wax, Mothers and Meguiar's. If you want to spend more go to the detailers' web sites, such as Autopia.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wash it, clay bar it. But a good sealant on it. Good ole TW seal and shine. Then a wax over it if you choose. I’ve never seen any other product like It take so much abuse and out perform almost all products like it’s kind through all my research I’ve done. Even against stuff that costs +100$. All for 10$ amazing. I’m a CG and Meguiars guy which are good too. That stuff has made me change to start using it as my sealant of choice at least for now.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use Bead Maker paint protectant. Just started using this product, but there are more than 1500 4 and 5 star reviews on it. After using it a couple of times I'm sold on it. I think it was about 10 bucks on Amazon.

lewgar

Reaction score
I just did my 2020 Limited in Patriot Blue. Clay bared first as someone suggested, nothing of real concern that it picked up. Polish out any defects, by hand since you do not want to use a machine. Used Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax. But on a dry truck, not what they recommend. It is crazy hydrophobic. Did my wife's Lexus and it sat out in the rain all day yesterday, I could not tell it was in the rain at all. I usually buy higher end wax from car detailing sites but this had great reviews from some car detailing guys.

Now I have had my truck out and nothing sticks to it, not dust or water. I am liking this stuff after a few times out after detailing. Time will tell after 6 months.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Never tried the clay bar deal...I bought one years ago, then I wimped out. Any advice on this usage on a fairly new truck?

GRB60

Reaction score
I like to clay while washing. It saves time and money. Using a good car wash soap, first wash, quick rinse then lube it again with the soap. Clay and rinse. Dry as normal. Easy. It will remove your wax as well as contaminants. Apply new wax, ceramic, etc.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never tried the clay bar deal...I bought one years ago, then I wimped out. Any advice on this usage on a fairly new truck?
lots of lubrication via spec clay lube/quick detailer/truck soap. while doing it with a light pressure & speed. there are kits out.

just like that, i have realized how many diff ways my comment can go, lol

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Guys,
Only clay bar if you need to (feels rough to the touch). If you claybar, you will almost always need to machine polish afterwards since it is abrasive, so only clay it if needed.

I’d def recommend a chemical iron decon prior to claying to minimize marring.

Last edited:

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Guys,
Only clay bar if you need to (feels rough to the touch). If you claybar, you will almost always need to machine polish afterwards since it is abrasive, so only clay it if needed.

And...I'm back to wimping out. :ROFLMAO:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
And...I'm back to wimping out. :ROFLMAO:
Didn’t mean to scare you. Just to make you aware of what to expect.

If you have heavy contamination, road debris or visible rail dust, by all means, just know going in that you will introduce scratches no matter what. How visible they will be depends on many factors, including type of clay bar, lubrication, the color of your paint, etc.

You may get away with it with a lighter color vehicle, meaning you will have a hard time seeing them, but on dark colors, every little imperfection will be visible.

And here’s the most important tidbit of all: If you don’t hand wash your vehicle, this is all academic. The scratches you may introduce will probably not matter :unsure:. Many people don’t care about daily drivers. Some people care way too much. :oops:

Cheers,

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Usually one or two passes through the touchless car wash, then meguiars quick wash and wax using about 5 to 10 micro fiber cloths

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@llackey23

Your question depends on how you want the truck to look and how much time you want to invest.

If you want premium all out then it will be a 2-3 day ordeal where you wash it properly, remove iron deposits, clay bar, re-wash, dry properly, polish properly, re-wash, re-dry, apply IPA solution (alcohol % or Carpro Erasure), apply ceramic coating, make sure it does not get wet, re-apply another coat of ceramic coating, make sure it does not get wet, apply a final layer that works with ceramic, wait a bit longer and apply one more layer. People pay thousands to detailers for this.

Or you can do what I did since this is a huge PITA vehicle to do this. Do a proper wash/dry/Carpro Erasure/Carpro Reload (or equivalent)/Wait a few hours do another Carpro Reload.

Good to go for 6 months and you can repeat the cycle.

Here is a great link to think about it:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Guys,

This was once true, but today's clay bars are synthetic, and non-abrasive. You do not need to polish after claying. The main thing you need to remember is to regularly fold your clay to get a new surface. And don't use it if you drop it on the floor of course.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This was once true, but today's clay bars are synthetic, and non-abrasive. You do not need to polish after claying. The main thing you need to remember is to regularly fold your clay to get a new surface. And don't use it if you drop it on the floor of course.
It's not the clay bar that's abrasive, it's the process, as you are still picking up debris and rubbing it on the paint, no matter how much you fold you it, so YMMV.

Cheers,

llackey23

Reaction score
@llackey23

Your question depends on how you want the truck to look and how much time you want to invest.

If you want premium all out then it will be a 2-3 day ordeal where you wash it properly, remove iron deposits, clay bar, re-wash, dry properly, polish properly, re-wash, re-dry, apply IPA solution (alcohol % or Carpro Erasure), apply ceramic coating, make sure it does not get wet, re-apply another coat of ceramic coating, make sure it does not get wet, apply a final layer that works with ceramic, wait a bit longer and apply one more layer. People pay thousands to detailers for this.

Or you can do what I did since this is a huge PITA vehicle to do this. Do a proper wash/dry/Carpro Erasure/Carpro Reload (or equivalent)/Wait a few hours do another Carpro Reload.

Good to go for 6 months and you can repeat the cycle.

Here is a great link to think about it:

Thanks Timeless!!!! Those Carpro products look AMAZING!!!!!! Now I'm on information overload!!! How do you know what and how much and when - I mean there are ceramic coats - base coats - top coats - one could get carried away quickly!!! This is going to get expensive!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread