5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Detailing/Waxing 2020 RAM Limited

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen this guy's videos and his opinion on PH balanced soaps for "really" washing you car? Not sure which way to go. I want a clean truck, but not looking to harm the clear coat and I want that glossy shine as well.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen this guy's videos and his opinion on PH balanced soaps for "really" washing you car? Not sure which way to go. I want a clean truck, but not looking to harm the clear coat and I want that glossy shine as well.

You will not harm your clear with any car soap. Some will sud more, some less. A few have added sauce for supposed shine, etc, but you can't go wrong with any from 303, Megs, CG, Adams, Mother's, TW, etc. Just pick one and don't worry about it.

A lot of this is FUD to help you separate you from your hard earned $$$ (and I say this being ultra-anal OCD).

Cheers,

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
You will not harm your clear with any car soap. Some will sud more, some less. A few have added sauce for supposed shine, etc, but you can't go wrong with any from 303, Megs, CG, Adams, Mother's, TW, etc. Just pick one and don't worry about it.

A lot of this is FUD to help you separate you from your hard earned $$$ (and I say this being ultra-anal OCD).

Cheers,
Just added another video to my original post. So is it better to wash with a stronger soap like the purple power then apply a hybrid ceramic wax from say TW, and then do maintenance washes with a PH balanced soap, or do PH10 wash every time and expect to apply a spray hybrid sealant like Maguire's to ensure a truly clean truck vs a high gloss appearance?

SilverNight2020

Reaction score

Cheers,
Also on the fence about needing to even do the clay bar after the wash, or just apply the TW hybrid ceramic wax, since it is a silver truck.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just added another video to my original post. So is it better to wash with a stronger soap like the purple power then apply a hybrid ceramic wax from say TW, and then do maintenance washes with a PH balanced soap, or do PH10 wash every time and expect to apply a spray hybrid sealant like Maguire's to ensure a truly clean truck vs a high gloss appearance?
That's a good approach. PP or Dawn dish soap should remove most old wax. If you want to be ultra thorough, wipe it with a water & IPA mixed at 50/50 before the SiO2 spray.
Then use an SiO2 like TW, and maintain. That will be all you need.

My current regimen is like that above.

I am currently using this for the initial coat:

And this every wash as a drying agent. Uber cheap for $9 and at two squirts per panel, 26 oz go a long, long way:

Again, keep it simple and enjoy your truck ;)

Cheers,

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Also on the fence about needing to even do the clay bar after the wash, or just apply the TW hybrid ceramic wax, since it is a silver truck.
Others will disagree. MY opinion is that you should use clay bar only if the paint feels rough to the touch or you can visually see contaminants, as it can can be abrasive if your paint is heavily contaminated (since the dirt you grab and slide around could scratch the paint, needing to polish afterwards).

I had to do this to my hood, since I could def feel the microfiber "grabbing" onto the paint when drying the paint. Def needed clay bar. I did introduce some scratches, which was fine since I intended to polish anyway, but just be aware that it can happen. If the paint feels smooth, than I would not bother.

It it's iron particles, I would try a chemical iron remover first. then clay if necessary, in that order.

Here's a good one that's pretty inexpensive. I know it's a wheel cleaner, but it is 100% safe for paint. It's what I use:

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
That's a good approach. PP or Dawn dish soap should remove most old wax. If you want to be ultra thorough, wipe it with a water & IPA mixed at 50/50 before the SiO2 spray.
Then use an SiO2 like TW, and maintain. That will be all you need.

My current regimen is like that above.

I am currently using this for the initial coat:

And this every wash as a drying agent. Uber cheap for $9 and at two squirts per panel, 26 oz go a long, long way:

Again, keep it simple and enjoy your truck ;)

Cheers,
Two things in response to your reply, just to be sure. This truck has never had wax, unless it was applied from the factory. Since the initial detail, I have only run it through one touchless and one soft touch carwash and have not put any towel to it. Only cleaned the water spots off the black grille, headlights, and windows. I only get the base wash on the drive thru washes, so unless there is something just being sprayed in the process, it has never had a wax applied. Also the second link for what you use as a drying agent is the same as the first for the initial coat.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Two things in response to your reply, just to be sure. This truck has never had wax, unless it was applied from the factory. Since the initial detail, I have only run it through one touchless and one soft touch carwash and have not put any towel to it. Only cleaned the water spots off the black grille, headlights, and windows. I only get the base wash on the drive thru washes, so unless there is something just being sprayed in the process, it has never had a wax applied. Also the second link for what you use as a drying agent is the same as the first for the initial coat.
Ah, good catch. I fixed the link.
If you don't have any wax, you should be fine bypassing the Dawn & IPA steps. Just apply the SiO2 spray and you're good.

TechDaddy3x

Reaction score
Never tried the clay bar deal...I bought one years ago, then I wimped out. Any advice on this usage on a fairly new truck?

Super easy did my new 20 limited 30 minutes after delivery in my garage. Takes about 20-30 mins. Just be sure to lube and kneed the clay often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ktl5005

Reaction score
Should clay bar. Wait to you feel how smooth the paint is afterwards. I clay once a year.

I also don't wax, but rather use a Ceramic coat, CarPro UK CQuartz 3.0. Lasts longer than wax, water beads right off, stays clean longer and less maintenance.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Should clay bar. Wait to you feel how smooth the paint is afterwards. I clay once a year.

I also don't wax, but rather use a Ceramic coat, CarPro UK CQuartz 3.0. Lasts longer than wax, water beads right off, stays clean longer and less maintenance.

I’m wondering about something similar myself. I washed my truck last weekend when it was cloudy. Half way through the sun came back out and I ended up with water spots on my windows and parts of the paint (hood, right side bed).

I clayed all the windows with a 50-50 mix of purified water and distilled vinegar and they look amazing now. I ended up claying the bed side and it looks great too. It made me wonder about claying the whole truck, but I’m not quite sure of the correct process. Could I just wash, clay and then use Turtle Wax seal and shine, Turtle Wax ceramic spray coating or Turtle Wax ceramic wet wax? Thanks.

ktl5005

Reaction score
I’m wondering about something similar myself. I washed my truck last weekend when it was cloudy. Half way through the sun came back out and I ended up with water spots on my windows and parts of the paint (hood, right side bed).

I clayed all the windows with a 50-50 mix of purified water and distilled vinegar and they look amazing now. I ended up claying the bed side and it looks great too. It made me wonder about claying the whole truck, but I’m not quite sure of the correct process. Could I just wash, clay and then use Turtle Wax seal and shine, Turtle Wax ceramic spray coating or Turtle Wax ceramic wet wax? Thanks.
You can do it that way. Just make sure when claying to keep detail spay on the clay wet. You will feel the imputes being lifted off, and the paint smoothing out

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
You can do it that way. Just make sure when claying to keep detail spay on the clay wet. You will feel the imputes being lifted off, and the paint smoothing out

Thanks for the reply. I may give it a shot some more with the clay. I like Turtle Wax products and the soap I use is the pink ICE snow foam wash. It can be used when hand washing too. What about that as a clay lubricant? Thanks.

Last edited:

ktl5005

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I may give it a shot some more with the clay. I like Turtle Wax products and the soap I use is the pink ICE snow foam wash. It can be used when hand washing too. What about that as a clay lubricant? Thanks.
Any detail spray will work as a clay lubricant. Meguires, etcetc detail spray is fine. If you really get into the detail game, don't buy the stuff in the store. GO online and look for the premium stuff like Chemicla Guys, Adams, etc. I can clay bar the entire truck in about 2 hours. Then I do a 1 stage buff to get out some imperfections. That took me about 4 hours. Today I did 2 layers of ceramic coat, topped with a spray. that took me 3 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread