5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Detailing , upkeep...tried a new product and was very pleased.

cw_mi

Reaction score
I'm a freak about keeping my vehicles clean. Here in MI this year it has been tough, with rain every few days or more. I've gotten my washing process down to 2 hrs so it still is a pain in the ***. I was looking for something that can help in between full on hand washes. I found a product called Mequiar's Ultimate waterless wash and wax. I tried it on my truck that was washed last week and has been rained on several times and had some dust on it. It was scary wiping down the truck with no water, just the product on a microfiber towel, it did turn out awesome and I don't detect any scratches from this. Now I wouldn't do it on an extremely dirty vehicle though.

cw_mi

Reaction score
Ignore my hand gesture, i was saying hi to a buddy...Lol
When new ,the truck had a coating of Sonax Polymer applied (don't really think that did much), When washing,I use a foam cannon with Chemical Guys honeydew snow foam, and then go over the truck with Mequiar's Ultimate Fast Finish. Did that last Tuesday.

c4d693a98c127db2520ff7fff6a68675.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tdager

Reaction score
I used this very same product last night on my truck. Like you, I would never do it on a heavily muddy truck but for rain spots/road grime/etc. it works great!

Clean19

Reaction score
with as much time and effort as you're putting into your truck, you obviously care about the appearance. I think you should consider a ceramic coating.. My wash process, without a deep clean of wheels and tires, is 12 minutes. yes, 12 minutes.

cw_mi

Reaction score
with as much time and effort as you're putting into your truck, you obviously care about the appearance. I think you should consider a ceramic coating.. My wash process, without a deep clean of wheels and tires, is 12 minutes. yes, 12 minutes.

Looked into it, just couldn't justify the money. I did a bunch of research , guess I should have done more.
What coating did you go with ?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried out the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax on my black truck a couple of months ago. Cheap and it keeps stuff from sticking and beads water like crazy. I liked it enough that I applied it to my 22' enclosed car trailer.

Clean19

Reaction score
Looked into it, just couldn't justify the money. I did a bunch of research , guess I should have done more.
What coating did you go with ?
I've used several. I work for a shop part time that uses Feynlabs HEAL Lite... but for more budget friendly I think you should go w/ Gtechnique Crystal Syrum Light

cw_mi

Reaction score
I've used several. I work for a shop part time that uses Feynlabs HEAL Lite... but for more budget friendly I think you should go w/ Gtechnique Crystal Syrum Light
That was one of the ones i looked at, but being that i don't have a garage to keep the truck out of the sun, i needed some quick, that is how i ended up with the Sonax.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Saints

Reaction score
Lots of companies make a waterless wash product and they do work well, but like you said, I wouldn’t use them for an overly dirty vehicle. As for the Sonax PNS, I think I am the one that recommended it to you months back. It does work very well and you should have noticed really good beading after you applied it. If water isn’t creating a tight bead then you need to reapply.

It’s just like most waxes or sealants except it is easy to apply and keeps your truck protected and should last you 3-6 months of protection depending on your climate. I’ve tested it against lots of top quality products and it keeps up with the best of them. If you looked it up before you decided to purchase I’m sure you saw the reviews of it. Autogeek has a great forum for detailing if you want to go down that rabbit hole. Just be aware that there is always the next best product out there and it can cost you an arm and a leg depending what you read there.

dsn112

Reaction score
PNS works really well. It used to be my go to before the spray on hose off products came out. Now I pretty much use only Sonax spray and seal or Gyeon wet coat. They are easy, and fast. I do it once every 4-6 weeks and it's all I need.

Clean19

Reaction score
have any of you tried Optimum's No Rinse? Often referred to as ONR. It's the only waterless wash I would ever use. FWIW it was invented for coated vehicles.

cw_mi

Reaction score
Lots of companies make a waterless wash product and they do work well, but like you said, I wouldn’t use them for an overly dirty vehicle. As for the Sonax PNS, I think I am the one that recommended it to you months back. It does work very well and you should have noticed really good beading after you applied it. If water isn’t creating a tight bead then you need to reapply.

It’s just like most waxes or sealants except it is easy to apply and keeps your truck protected and should last you 3-6 months of protection depending on your climate. I’ve tested it against lots of top quality products and it keeps up with the best of them. If you looked it up before you decided to purchase I’m sure you saw the reviews of it. Autogeek has a great forum for detailing if you want to go down that rabbit hole. Just be aware that there is always the next best product out there and it can cost you an arm and a leg depending what you read there.

I think you are right on the Sonax thing. And I should say, after I first applied it, the water did just sheet off. It didn't seem to last past 3 or 4 washes though. No be fair though I would wash , dry the go over the truck with Gtechniq quick detailer. What I was disappointed about on the product was how it protected against bugs from traveling on the freeway. I would thought the coating would make the bugs wash off with a minimal amount of effort. I ended up having to spray a bug removing product on and still didn't get everything off.
Now I just wash,dry and go over the truck with the Ultimate Fast Finish.

Users who are viewing this thread