5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Detailing and Waxing

LHarv

Reaction score
If any of you are like me, I like a clean and shiny Ram. I have been an avid user of FW1 Wax during the summer months as its easy and quick to apply and work in. I am now seeking product suggestions for the best wax or detailing products to get me through the coming winter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If any of you are like me, I like a clean and shiny Ram. I have been an avid user of FW1 Wax during the summer months as its easy and quick to apply and work in. I am now seeking product suggestions for the best wax or detailing products to get me through the coming winter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Usually anything that's effective for the summer is good enough for the winter too. Personally...I've found through trial and error that the spray waxes like Turtle Wax ICE or chemical guys Blazin Banana work better and protect better than the rub-on/buff off liquid waxes. But of course...also can't argue with a good legitimate carnuba wax. Aside from that... Mequires Seal/Shine & protect spray on is pretty decent.

LHarv

Reaction score
I worry about the winters here as they are full of snow/ice and slush. Also, the salt the cities use around here can be brutal on paint. I appreciate the suggestion

jth877

Reaction score
You don't want a "wax". A sealant is what you seek. I use blackfire sealant, machine apply. Seems to last a long time. Wolfgang sealant is another common favorite. Wipe on wipe off or wipe on walk away sealants are ok, but will degrade faster in general. Ceramic coatings are the new thing but cheap ones are probably junk.. High end ceramc coatings are $$$. Visit autogeek forums. Lots of pros on there.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I worry about the winters here as they are full of snow/ice and slush. Also, the salt the cities use around here can be brutal on paint. I appreciate the suggestion
I hear that. I lived in New Hampshire for about 14 years..always used a spray wax and never had a problem. I was more worried about the salt creating havoc on everything else...exhaust, rotors, etc...

badpewterz

Reaction score
im in new england and my customers cars reguallry get 6+ months out of jescar power lock plus.
wash, iron decon, rewash, light clay if needed. machine apply.
simple and works.
yes ceramic would be better but takes alot more prep and alot more time and knowledge to apply correctly. i try ALOT of different products on my own fleet and friends but i always go back to jescar on my customers cars

Wsmith

Reaction score
Check out "Pan the organizer" on you tube. He does, in my opinion, unbiased comparisons of a multitude of car detailing products as well as other areas of interest. If there is a product out there he has likely reviewed it.

jth877

Reaction score
im in new england and my customers cars reguallry get 6+ months out of jescar power lock plus.
wash, iron decon, rewash, light clay if needed. machine apply.
simple and works.
yes ceramic would be better but takes alot more prep and alot more time and knowledge to apply correctly. i try ALOT of different products on my own fleet and friends but i always go back to jescar on my customers cars
Is jescar related to merenza power lock? They seem similar.

hydrant328

Reaction score
I've been using Shine armor on my wife's volvo and now on my 1500. Easy on, off, quick. Not real expensive. Used it on my dad's red focus that had been neglected and it did great.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I gave Meguiar's hybrid ceramic spray wax a try a couple weeks ago. It's very easy and forgiving to apply compared to regular ceramic wax. I put 2 coats on the entire truck (windows, lights included) and it didn't take very long and so far I'm impressed. We shall see how it does during the winter months. If it holds up well it will be my goto product for price and ease of use.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
For daily drivers, my "winter wax" is Collinite Insulator Wax 845. This year I have started using Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions product line and I plan to top off the coat of Collinite with Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating. I've been pretty impressed with that product so far. My truck is ceramic coated so I use some different products to maintain that.

badpewterz

Reaction score
Is jescar related to merenza power lock? They seem similar.
yes same . menzerna is Europe label. jescar is US label. only difference.
jescar is the us distributor for menzerna basically

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Last afternoon I had my simonize guy, Cornelio come over, after 4 hours and a beautiful simonize job, he tells me I want to show you some stuff. Cornelio asked me did you repaint this car? WTF, what? I had the rear door repainted and repaired for a break in. He walked me around the car with my hand. What a mess, "overspray" on the glass, complete side of the truck, looks great, feels like sandpaper. I paid him for his hard work and told him I'm paying you for a fantastic useless job all for nothing, the sandpaper feel must go! . Today Cornelio came back with "stuff" to strip, chemical removal of all the over spray, then Clay-Bar, then apply a Ceramic coating, then a second Ceramic Top Coat. It took him today 5.5 hours all by hand by hand, no power equipment. In my opinion Cornelio is the best polisher, He worked a few minutes away in a Famous Carwash/oil change/ inspection Center as the Foreman and would do the work on the expensive machines. On any Saturday he would be working with a crew on RR, Bentleys, Ferraris , Porches, Lambos. I'm so pleased this job is finished.
Here are some Pics as he is working as well as the finished product. My paint is the smoothest, even more so that the day I brought it home. He's going to do my Grand Cherokee Summit right after he grabs some lunch.
The finished pic's are the ones in my driveway. Its a cloudy day today, no sun. The shine is just awesome which the pic's cannot articulate.

Attachments

• BB1.jpg
    BB1.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 70
  • BB.jpg
    BB.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 70
  • BB4.jpg
    BB4.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 71
  • BB5.jpg
    BB5.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 72
  • BB3.jpg
    BB3.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 74
  • BB6.jpg
    BB6.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 71
  • BB7.jpg
    BB7.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Turtle wax ICE shine and seal. The best $10 you can spend on wax. It works great and super easy to apply.
I should get 8+ months, up to 12 on this detail. I have subscriptions at my Kwik Kar car wash I go 1-2 times a week. It eats the protection off no matter what. This will give me what a $10.00 wax will NOT. I tried so many, I've give up Here is just one of my cabinets. You really get what you pay for.

Attachments

• somePolishes.jpg
    somePolishes.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 46

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Last afternoon I had my simonize guy, Cornelio come over, after 4 hours and a beautiful simonize job, he tells me I want to show you some stuff. Cornelio asked me did you repaint this car? WTF, what? I had the rear door repainted and repaired for a break in. He walked me around the car with my hand. What a mess, "overspray" on the glass, complete side of the truck, looks great, feels like sandpaper. I paid him for his hard work and told him I'm paying you for a fantastic useless job all for nothing, the sandpaper feel must go! . Today Cornelio came back with "stuff" to strip, chemical removal of all the over spray, then Clay-Bar, then apply a Ceramic coating, then a second Ceramic Top Coat. It took him today 5.5 hours all by hand by hand, no power equipment. In my opinion Cornelio is the best polisher, He worked a few minutes away in a Famous Carwash/oil change/ inspection Center as the Foreman and would do the work on the expensive machines. On any Saturday he would be working with a crew on RR, Bentleys, Ferraris , Porches, Lambos. I'm so pleased this job is finished.
Here are some Pics as he is working as well as the finished product. My paint is the smoothest, even more so that the day I brought it home. He's going to do my Grand Cherokee Summit right after he grabs some lunch.
The finished pic's are the ones in my driveway. Its a cloudy day today, no sun. The shine is just awesome which the pic's cannot articulate.
Your truck looks fantastic and it looks like Cornelio really does things the "right way" by your description of his process for removing the overspray. To be clear, I am in no way trying to minimize his work, I just want to help you understand what was applied. That Magna Shine SiO2 Spray Sealant is not a true "ceramic coat". Ceramic Coating is much more than a spray on wipe off type product. It usually requires a multi-step process where hardeners are used and an extended curing time. The products used on your truck should last you about 6 months, similar to a high quality wax. Carpro Reload is an excellent product. It is meant to be a topper and used between washes to maintain a ceramic coated vehicle. I'm sure the combination of the products Cornelio used provided a great end result as evidenced by your pictures. But these products will not last more than 6 months or so, so be sure to reapply. Now that the pesky overspray is gone, maintaining your truck will be so much easier and more enjoyable!

nburd

Reaction score
I should get 8+ months, up to 12 on this detail. I have subscriptions at my Kwik Kar car wash I go 1-2 times a week. It eats the protection off no matter what. This will give me what a $10.00 wax will NOT. I tried so many, I've give up Here is just one of my cabinets. You really get what you pay for.
I wish I had a good automatic car wash within 20 miles. And those That are 20 miles away do not offer a subscription, $10-15 per wash, and none are that good. One scratched the hood of my 1 month old new ‘13 Express and the other scratche’d the front bumper Corner. To get a good wash I would have to drive 50 miles and the truck would be just as dirty on the return trip. Got to love rural Maine. There is one do it yourself place but no underside wash. I do not know what my plan will be in 2-3 months. Undercoating for Certain.

jth877

Reaction score
I would be vary careful around car washes. Not only do they accelerate removing your protective layer and dull the paint with micro scratches they usually recycle water. In the winter I doubt they are able to remove all the dissolved salt. Better off at the coin operated wand.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Turtle Wax is making some great stuff these days. Check out Project Farm on utube. He did an amazing comparison of spray sealants. Higher priced products are not always better!

Users who are viewing this thread