5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Detailing and paint correction on new Ivory Tri-Coat

blue tom

Reaction score
I have a new truck (600 miles in the two weeks I've had it, but it did sit on the dealer lot since July) that I'm trying to get clean, shiny, and protected. It's the Ivory Tri-Coat paint, so it really doesn't show scratches or swirls much, which is a nice place to start. I've got it cleaned, decontaminated, and I'm going panel by panel now with a nanoskin mitt (which has been in my kit for a couple of years, but I've always used the clay bar). The overall finish isn't bad as far as factory paint goes, but there is some waviness I'm trying to even out. The tailgate seems to be a little worse than the main body panels,

My question is: what are you guys using for this purpose? I've got plenty of pads for my porter-cable, up to I think an orange "medium-heavy cutting" pad, which seems a little excessive. I've also got the Meguiar's 105 compound to go with it. Again, seems severe on new clear coat, but I ain't no expert.

I just did the rear quarter with a black finishing pad and Meg 205, but that didn't seem to smooth it out at all, which I guess is to be expected (admittedly, I intended to use a more aggressive pad and mixed them up somewhere. So, before I get too far into the cutting arena with a green or orange pad and more abrasive compounds, I figured I'd see what you all have used for good results on this white pearl paint. Gracias.

blue tom

Reaction score
After giving it even more thought, I think I'm just going to do this order:

1. Foam and wash
2. Iron X decon
3. Nanoskin clay mitt
4. Chem guys green pad + Meguiars 205
5. Clean the pad and then go over it again with this new Turtle Wax hybrid ceramic polish wax stuff I got.
6. After 24 hour cure, I'll assess and maybe spray on this Fortify ceramic wax top coat.

Good thing I got laid off this week. Got plenty of time on my hands for this.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
After giving it even more thought, I think I'm just going to do this order:

1. Foam and wash
2. Iron X decon
3. Nanoskin clay mitt
4. Chem guys green pad + Meguiars 205
5. Clean the pad and then go over it again with this new Turtle Wax hybrid ceramic polish wax stuff I got.
6. After 24 hour cure, I'll assess and maybe spray on this Fortify ceramic wax top coat.

Good thing I got laid off this week. Got plenty of time on my hands for this.
General rule is to start with the least aggressive fix and step up if that doesn't work. There's a crap load of good vids on the tube from pro detailers. AMMO NYC has a great library of how to videos. If your'e laid off, time to binge watch!

blue tom

Reaction score
General rule is to start with the least aggressive fix and step up if that doesn't work. There's a crap load of good vids on the tube from pro detailers. AMMO NYC has a great library of how to videos. If your'e laid off, time to binge watch!

Yep and that’s been my general approach in the past. But with these new hybrid ceramic sealants, I don’t want to polish it with something like that and then have to compound just to remove that and continue the original finish correction. That’s my idea with doing the 205 on a green pad first. That’s a pretty light treatment while still having some mild cut to it. From what I’ve seen on the panel I just did, I think I’m happy with that, and then following up with the newfangled ceramic polish wax stuff. Then maybe an even finer wax to finish, if it needs it. But yeah, it’s a process, and it’s always different, in response to the situation. Mostly I guess I was just wondering if I need to be particular careful or particular aggressive with this clear coat or the tri-coat finish in general. So far it seems pretty durable, and it’s polishing up well enough for my needs. I certainly like this white finish better than my darker previous cars and their maddening swirls.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread