5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Destined for a new transmission…

MxRacer965

Reaction score
Well, seems as though I’m headed for a new transmission…2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 bought a month ago as a CPOV with 48K on it. Shifted funny twice, acting like it was hitting neutral before going into gear and then sticking in 3rd. Happened twice. Both times restarting the truck resolved the issue (temporarily), and both times it threw code P0733. First time I cleared it since the CEL annoys me and I hoped it was a one time fluke. Had it at the dealer for some other stuff and they just said “works fine” since I cleared the code. This last time I didn’t clear the code, but the CEL went off on its own. Since I didn’t clear it though it was still stored. They called tonight and said if they can get an active code they’ll put in a new transmission. It would seem a new transmission is inevitable at some point…

Thought these ZF 8 speeds were darn near indestructible. Anyone know the most common reason for failure?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Everything has that one that's just a bad unit and not representative of the entire line. There's millions of these transmissions in use, there's going to be a few oddball failures but still represent a miniscule number

MxRacer965

Reaction score
So far my Ram is absolute garbage through and through though. I enjoy the truck “conceptually” tremendously, but it’s such a POS I’m almost wanting to just ditch it at this point and get a new F150…but shortages <sigh>. My DD is a 19 Expedition Max Platinum and that 3.5 Ecoboost is a beast…puts the Hemi to shame. Kinda lamenting the lack of thrust with the Hemi. But that’s another story…

If this were my DD I’d be screwed. Part is the dealer that certified it I think, part getting warranty work approved is a crapshoot, and part is how many things are wrong and how long it’s been in the shop already in 1 month (33%). Now it’s going to sit there in languish until they can hopefully get the transmission to screw up and maybe it will get warrantied. Very disappointed so far. I had ZERO issues with my 2011 Grand Cherokee Summit until the compressor for the air suspension went out at 92K miles and 9 years. Lifetime max care took care of it, zero issues.

Such a stark contrast in experiences thus far. Wife wants an Aviator but I asked she hold off until the Grand Cherokee L was out. This has me so turned off of FCA I don’t even want to consider it.

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Theres been a few reports of them not being filled with enough fluid, or not having any at all from the factory.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothings indestructible, but the ZF 8HP series has an extremely enviable reputation. There have been so few problems reported against the roughly 4.5 million made that there isn't a good sense of any "common" problem. Most issues early on were resolved with software updates anyways.

Since you have such as distain for the used Ram you just bought, I'd recommend getting a new F-150 now. I sense you'll be much happier no matter what.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 050050 miles.

MxRacer965

Reaction score
Taking a frustratingly long time, with a number of issues to get it fixed though. Steering wheel, passenger power mirror, cracked window frame, passenger rear door lock inoperable, transmission taking a dump…jumping through hoops along the way, not like with my Jeep and lifetime max care. I’ve owned it a month and it’s spent 8 days at the shop, and counting since they want it into middle of next week…

I do like the uconnect better than sync, and the burble of the V8 is sweet…

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Taking a frustratingly long time, with a number of issues to get it fixed though. Steering wheel, passenger power mirror, cracked window frame, passenger rear door lock inoperable, transmission taking a dump…jumping through hoops along the way, not like with my Jeep and lifetime max care. I’ve owned it a month and it’s spent 8 days at the shop, and counting since they want it into middle of next week…

I hear ya, takes the joy out of a new purchase. All those issues seem fixable though, if they get the code and replace the transmission. Or you could sell to Carvana or Vroom and get another one, chances of major problems again are slim.

For what it is worth, I won't go back to Ford for a long time. They also announced about a year ago they were going to try and save $6 billion over the next several years by denying warranty claims. "Normal operation" is on recording at most Ford dealership service departments. It alternates with "vehicle characteristic." The RAM 1500 is the best truck in the segment even after the F150 redesign, IMO, and it isn't even close unless someone needs the capability of the 3.5 EB to tow 10,000+ lbs, in which case they should be driving a HD.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A P0733 code is Gear 3 Shift Incorrect Ratio. Third gear uses the B, C, and E clutches and the code indicates the clutches are not rotating at the correct speed when in that gear. The B, C, and E clutches are also used in other gears and if there was a problem with either of those clutch sets I'd expect engagement problems in other gears and a separate code to go with them (stacked codes). That's assuming the P0733 was the only code registered. Only a pressure test of the clutches will confirm whether or not it's a clutch problem.

That leaves the Transmission Control Module, a wiring issue, or a possible shift solenoid defect in the valve body.

The problem with a used vehicle is you usually don't know if it was abused. Fortunately a 2019 with 48K on it should still be in warranty.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 050079 miles.

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
A P0733 code is Gear 3 Shift Incorrect Ratio. Third gear uses the B, C, and E clutches and the code indicates the clutches are not rotating at the correct speed when in that gear. The B, C, and E clutches are also used in other gears and if there was a problem with either of those clutch sets I'd expect engagement problems in other gears and a separate code to go with them (stacked codes). That's assuming the P0733 was the only code registered. Only a pressure test of the clutches will confirm whether or not it's a clutch problem.

That leaves the Transmission Control Module, a wiring issue, or a possible shift solenoid defect in the valve body.

The problem with a used vehicle is you usually don't know if it was abused. Fortunately a 2019 with 48K on it should still be in warranty.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 050079 miles.
This has to be one of the best (if not the best) replies in a thread I have ever read!

MxRacer965

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback Dusty. It is indeed just P0733 and seems to just be specific circumstances. I’m thinking voltage related. First time it sat at the airport for a week and when I went to start the truck it went to ACC at my first press, then ON/RUN, then back to off. Next press it started…so weird operation. Then as I was accelerating super slow (speed limit is only 25) it acted like it hit neutral before banging into 2nd and did the same into 3rd, then it tried to shift into 4th twice, gave up, threw CEL and stayed in 3rd until I restarted the truck. The It drove fine.

2nd time we were at a motocross track for 4 hours and the kids were in and out of the truck (so lights on, etc) for 4 hours. Same deal leaving, going down a dirt access road with the tailgate down so I accelerated super slow. 1-2 acted funny then 2-3 acted like I hit neutral before banging into 3. This time I put it in Nuetral then back to Drive. It didn’t help and it threw a CEL. Shut it off and back on again, no issue.

I cleared the code the first time because the CEL bothered me, hoping dealer could see something more stored. No luck of course.

this time I left it and drove around more. CEL turned off eventually, but code remained stored. So there it sits while they try to replicate the issue…

Burnzie

Reaction score

Sorry to read about this, did you test drive your truck before you bought it? You say you have had it for a month ( 30 days approx) been in the shop for 8 days, seems like a lot of stuff to go wrong in just 22 days of ownership.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback Dusty. It is indeed just P0733 and seems to just be specific circumstances. I’m thinking voltage related. First time it sat at the airport for a week and when I went to start the truck it went to ACC at my first press, then ON/RUN, then back to off. Next press it started…so weird operation. Then as I was accelerating super slow (speed limit is only 25) it acted like it hit neutral before banging into 2nd and did the same into 3rd, then it tried to shift into 4th twice, gave up, threw CEL and stayed in 3rd until I restarted the truck. The It drove fine.

2nd time we were at a motocross track for 4 hours and the kids were in and out of the truck (so lights on, etc) for 4 hours. Same deal leaving, going down a dirt access road with the tailgate down so I accelerated super slow. 1-2 acted funny then 2-3 acted like I hit neutral before banging into 3. This time I put it in Nuetral then back to Drive. It didn’t help and it threw a CEL. Shut it off and back on again, no issue.

I cleared the code the first time because the CEL bothered me, hoping dealer could see something more stored. No luck of course.

this time I left it and drove around more. CEL turned off eventually, but code remained stored. So there it sits while they try to replicate the issue…
With the symptom set you've described I would agree it sounds potentially electrical. Once clutches start slipping due to abnormal wear it seldomly becomes intermittent. There may be codes in the TCM itself which will indicate the problem. If the technician starts with a clutch fill test that will determine the condition of the transmission fluid. If that's okay the factory procedure would dictate a clutch pressure test. Before the dealer gets authorization for a warranty transmission replacement, a tech. must perform a whole series of tests.

I'm not a trained transmission tech., but going out on a limb if nothing is mechanically found to be defective and the TCM passes all diagnostic tests and wiring is good, I'd replace the battery.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 050190 miles.

MxRacer965

Reaction score
Sorry to read about this, did you test drive your truck before you bought it? You say you have had it for a month ( 30 days approx) been in the shop for 8 days, seems like a lot of stuff to go wrong in just 22 days of ownership.
Yes, I drove it. Everything seemed fine. It was also CPO, not just “pre owned”. I think the certifying dealer just did a really crappy job. I wrongly trusted that it would be a solid vehicle. That was my experience with our CPO Infiniti. Everything had to work “like new”. Apparently to Ram CPO stands for Certified Pile Of….?

MxRacer965

Reaction score
With the symptom set you've described I would agree it sounds potentially electrical. Once clutches start slipping due to abnormal wear it seldomly becomes intermittent. There may be codes in the TCM itself which will indicate the problem. If the technician starts with a clutch fill test that will determine the condition of the transmission fluid. If that's okay the factory procedure would dictate a clutch pressure test. Before the dealer gets authorization for a warranty transmission replacement, a tech. must perform a whole series of tests.

I'm not a trained transmission tech., but going out on a limb if nothing is mechanically found to be defective and the TCM passes all diagnostic tests and wiring is good, I'd replace the battery.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 050190 miles.
Not being familiar with the various tests that are possible I can only hope the dealer would do their due diligence! Sounds like there is plenty they can check.

battery is new and tested good according to Autozone, for what that’s worth anyway…but that was one of my first thoughts since it acted strange when I tried to start it after it sat for a week at the airport. Wish that actually was it, better than this “limbo” situation.

Zig10

Reaction score
I've got an '18 Expedition Max, and it has been in and out of the shop regularly since we bought it brand new (all struts leaked, side mirror getting possessed, leather seams splitting, cam phaser tapping), so I hope your '19 continues treating you better than mine has. My Ram has been a delight so far with 15k on the odometer.

I'd agree with the others here that this really sounds like an electronic issue in your Ram more than mechanical, but with the tech in the drivetrains these days it's a crap shoot. Hopefully it is something minor and easily remedied, but it may also be why the previous owner ditched it...

Good luck getting it corrected.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I drove it. Everything seemed fine. It was also CPO, not just “pre owned”. I think the certifying dealer just did a really crappy job. I wrongly trusted that it would be a solid vehicle. That was my experience with our CPO Infiniti. Everything had to work “like new”. Apparently to Ram CPO stands for Certified Pile Of….?
CPO is nothing more than the dealer buying a warranty and passing on price and profit to you. They do NOTHING buy put the vin in the system as a CPO. Of course if there is something terribly wrong the dealer has to eat it too. Like transmissions welded back together and other farkery I've seen.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
CPO is nothing more than the dealer buying a warranty and passing on price and profit to you. They do NOTHING buy put the vin in the system as a CPO. Of course if there is something terribly wrong the dealer has to eat it too. Like transmissions welded back together and other farkery I've seen.
It depends. They are supposed to inspect almost everything major with the vehicle and fix anything not in spec (tires, brakes, belts seem worn, Freon level, etc.). These are manufacturer required inspections to be labeled CPO by the manufacturer. Whether the dealer did things they are supposed to is a different question.

MxRacer965

Reaction score
It depends. They are supposed to inspect almost everything major with the vehicle and fix anything not in spec (tires, brakes, belts seem worn, Freon level, etc.). These are manufacturer required inspections to be labeled CPO by the manufacturer. Whether the dealer did things they are supposed to is a different question.
This is my understanding as well. It makes no sense for the manufacturer to take on all the risk, so a dealer is supposed to make sure the vehicle has nothing “broken”.

MxRacer965

Reaction score
Called the service advisor about my truck and sat on the phone for almost 25 minutes while he got the latest from the tech. Guess they got it to throw multiple codes and are getting approval to replace the trans. 1-2 days to get it and they’ll put it in provided it’s approved. Im on vacation so I won’t be home until Monday so they did if all goes well I’ll have to back then.

Users who are viewing this thread