5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desert Dawg Ram Rebel Build

"Linex" the skid plate a matte black or leave the factory silver color?

• Paint or Linex skid plate matte black

Votes: 62 71.3%
  • Leave skid plate silver

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Other (reply in thread)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Aftermarket Exhaust System Selection

The next modification will be the exhaust. While the Ram already has a nice sound to it, it is lacking compared to my Toyota TRD exhaust system which sounded great right from the factory (as an optional upgrade)! In the past, I have tried Flowmaster, Gibson, and Magnaflow systems. In general, I found the Flowmasters can have a great low end growl but can also done heavily out on the highway; Gibsons are nice quality systems but are more sedated at WOT, and; Magnaflows typically provide a nice balance in moderate to WOT throttle response but easy on the ears at lower RPM and don't done at speed. So the latter has been my "go to" for several builds now.

But I am not sure I want to invest in another grand or more on a replacement system as I have plans down the road for a supercharger. So I really think I just want to add a touch more sound without breaking the bank until I am ready to really open up the entire exhaust system to handle the air mass from the supercharged engine. I also don't want anything to wake the neighbors as I already have a couple of obnoxious gear heads in the neighborhood that believe everyone appreciates their thunderous exhausts that drown out your conversations outside as they drive by (over and over again, lol). Since I already like Magnaflow, I think a good option right now is to try the new Hemi SS Magnaflow Retro Fit Exhaust System from B2 Fabrication.

B2 Fabrication.png

I believe some folks on the forum have installed this system on their Rams and are pretty happy with it. The system is relatively inexpensive and looks like a simple, quick bolt-on installation involving some measuring and cutting to fit the replacement muffler using the factory exhaust piping. Be curious if anyone has any additional feedback since their installations!

B2 Fabrication - Hemi SS magnaflow Retro Fit Exhaust System.jpg
Edit: Well shoot, I should have checked out their parts availability as it looks like all you can get right now is their "muffler delete" system which will not do at all. I will call and update what they say in case anyone else was considering their systems as well.

Last edited:

Myke

Reaction score
You have mentioned a possible desire for an off road style camper - you may be interested in this camper out of MN - they do deliver - many options - reasonably priced - better lead times than others. Escapade Campers.com

I purchased one last year & love it. Store it in a 10x20 rental storage unit ready to roll; add food, clothes and go. Last year in CO at an archery tournament in late June, was hit with 8” of heavy, wet snow. No problems. Add a Lock-n-Roll hitch & a 23Zero Peregrin shower/ potty enclosure for momma, good to go. You’ll even like the color options. Note that I do not have their “X” pkg, as that was not an option last year- so the std clearance unit of 16” is what fits through the std garage door opening. I would not know if the 20” ’X’ unit would fit. 7834AC10-7B11-4D1B-A57D-8E6E36D19BB6.jpeg ( do not know how to rotate photos - sorry - also, last year was running a Nissan Frontier, now a Rebel owner) 8A5D2C43-91F0-4C28-8F0F-BDCC53856DFF.jpeg

Attachments

• 7B20634F-FD89-4D8D-BB9E-3308CAA81CD5.jpeg
    7B20634F-FD89-4D8D-BB9E-3308CAA81CD5.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
You have mentioned a possible desire for an off road style camper - you may be interested in this camper out of MN - they do deliver - many options - reasonably priced - better lead times than others. Escapade Campers.com

I purchased one last year & love it. Store it in a 10x20 rental storage unit ready to roll; add food, clothes and go. Last year in CO at an archery tournament in late June, was hit with 8” of heavy, wet snow. No problems. Add a Lock-n-Roll hitch & a 23Zero Peregrin shower/ potty enclosure for momma, good to go. You’ll even like the color options. Note that I do not have their “X” pkg, as that was not an option last year- so the std clearance unit of 16” is what fits through the std garage door opening. I would not know if the 20” ’X’ unit would fit. ( do not know how to rotate photos - sorry - also, last year was running a Nissan Frontier, now a Rebel owner)

Escapade Campers_1 (2).jpeg Escapade Campers_2.jpeg
@Myke; thanks for the suggestion! I rotated the photos...looks like a really nice setup! Be curious about how easy the added tent was to setup too?

ScottChurch

Reaction score
The next modification will be the exhaust. While the Ram already has a nice sound to it, it is lacking compared to my Toyota TRD exhaust system which sounded great right from the factory (as an optional upgrade)! In the past, I have tried Flowmaster, Gibson, and Magnaflow systems. In general, I found the Flowmasters can have a great low end growl but can also done heavily out on the highway; Gibsons are nice quality systems but are more sedated at WOT, and; Magnaflows typically provide a nice balance in moderate to WOT throttle response but easy on the ears at lower RPM and don't done at speed. So the latter has been my "go to" for several builds now.

But I am not sure I want to invest in another grand or more on a replacement system as I have plans down the road for a supercharger. So I really think I just want to add a touch more sound without breaking the bank until I am ready to really open up the entire exhaust system to handle the air mass from the supercharged engine. I also don't want anything to wake the neighbors as I already have a couple of obnoxious gear heads in the neighborhood that believe everyone appreciates their thunderous exhausts that drown out your conversations outside as they drive by (over and over again, lol). Since I already like Magnaflow, I think a good option right now is to try the new Hemi SS Magnaflow Retro Fit Exhaust System from B2 Fabrication.

I believe some folks on the forum have installed this system on their Rams and are pretty happy with it. The system is relatively inexpensive and looks like a simple, quick bolt-on installation involving some measuring and cutting to fit the replacement muffler using the factory exhaust piping. Be curious if anyone has any additional feedback since their installations!

Edit: Well shoot, I should have checked out their parts availability as it looks like all you can get right now is their "muffler delete" system which will not do at all. I will call and update what they say in case anyone else was considering their systems as well.

I had a similar exhaust goal to you, I wanted something that sounded good and wasn’t too obnoxious since I leave for work well before the average person is awake.

I personally went with the Borla XR-1 and had my local exhaust shop weld it in. Overall I am pretty happy with the sound it doesn’t drone but still gives me that little bit of growl. I am still contemplating on having my resonators taken off to get a little more sound out of it though.

Myke

Reaction score
I have a couple of options for the trailer to adjust for campsite limitations.

One, I have the ARB awning which was purchased with the trailer. That you can see extending from the side of the trailer in the picture behind my Rebel. When in a tight campsite, or shorter term, I use that overhang to setup under. Placement is important to avoid a strong prevailing wind. Facing E or SE is best. Avoid the ‘bat wing’ style, they flap like a duck in wind and the pivot point is prone to breakage.

Two, I also purchased a pop up screen shelter to cover the galley area, if room allows. This you see both the inside of pic, and next to my blue Nissan. Note it is 12 1/2’ across, a hex style tent. It is made by Clam, part of their QuickSet line, the model is called the Pavillion. The significance of that model is that the screen area of one hub side, once removed, is almost exactly the size of the rear of the trailer. Set up the tent; plug in trailer into opened up screen hole= instant covered kitchen area. Setup time with staking is less than ten minutes, including time to throw it up on the rack, and you are ready to roll. I have this setup as my wall tent took to long to setup and take down in my hunting camp. With all the wildfires these days, having a forest ranger tell you you have to evac in a 1/2 Hour would leave too much behind with my wall tent camp option.

This is a hub style tent, which setups up quickly and if staked down, resists wind better than anything I have seen. The center of all the pull out hubs have a steel loop to tie off to, this keeps the hubs from collapsing. In the center of the tent, I use an adjustable pole which is normally used to attach a paint roller to paint. This adjusting pole serves as a center pole to prevent wind collapse of the roof, and supports a significant snow load. The screened windows have coverings on each side which can be rolled up and tied for ventilation. So many awnings break in wind, and who wants to take down an awning for an incoming storm? That is when you want it most to cover your stuff. I also have one of those small propane fire rings, which when set on low, heats the kitchen area nicely. or for a bug free camp fire area, roll up the sides and keep it on low. You can seat about 4-6 inside that tent, depending upon the coolers involved, etc. Here is a link to that specific tent - videos on setup are out on the internet.

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I had a similar exhaust goal to you, I wanted something that sounded good and wasn’t too obnoxious since I leave for work well before the average person is awake.

I personally went with the Borla XR-1 and had my local exhaust shop weld it in. Overall I am pretty happy with the sound it doesn’t drone but still gives me that little bit of growl. I am still contemplating on having my resonators taken off to get a little more sound out of it though.

Thanks Scott; I will look into the Borla. I am not looking to replace the piping and factory Rebel tips so a drop in is exactly what I want for now! I wonder if the Borla ATAK would give the same sound quality that the XR-1 with resonator delete would give but also need to check on the drone, if any.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I have a couple of options for the trailer to adjust for campsite limitations.

One, I have the ARB awning which was purchased with the trailer. That you can see extending from the side of the trailer in the picture behind my Rebel. When in a tight campsite, or shorter term, I use that overhang to setup under. Placement is important to avoid a strong prevailing wind. Facing E or SE is best. Avoid the ‘bat wing’ style, they flap like a duck in wind and the pivot point is prone to breakage.

Two, I also purchased a pop up screen shelter to cover the galley area, if room allows. This you see both the inside of pic, and next to my blue Nissan. Note it is 12 1/2’ across, a hex style tent. It is made by Clam, part of their QuickSet line, the model is called the Pavillion. The significance of that model is that the screen area of one hub side, once removed, is almost exactly the size of the rear of the trailer. Set up the tent; plug in trailer into opened up screen hole= instant covered kitchen area. Setup time with staking is less than ten minutes, including time to throw it up on the rack, and you are ready to roll. I have this setup as my wall tent took to long to setup and take down in my hunting camp. With all the wildfires these days, having a forest ranger tell you you have to evac in a 1/2 Hour would leave too much behind with my wall tent camp option.

This is a hub style tent, which setups up quickly and if staked down, resists wind better than anything I have seen. The center of all the pull out hubs have a steel loop to tie off to, this keeps the hubs from collapsing. In the center of the tent, I use an adjustable pole which is normally used to attach a paint roller to paint. This adjusting pole serves as a center pole to prevent wind collapse of the roof, and supports a significant snow load. The screened windows have coverings on each side which can be rolled up and tied for ventilation. So many awnings break in wind, and who wants to take down an awning for an incoming storm? That is when you want it most to cover your stuff. I also have one of those small propane fire rings, which when set on low, heats the kitchen area nicely. or for a bug free camp fire area, roll up the sides and keep it on low. You can seat about 4-6 inside that tent, depending upon the coolers involved, etc. Here is a link to that specific tent - videos on setup are out on the internet.

Great response Myke, thanks! I should consider that hub style tent now as it might be a nice setup to use with just my topper too for a quick overnighter. (y)

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
TEST

Okay, as stated previously, I have been using Photobucket to host my photos online for my various blog/forum postings without a hitch for many years. Then I recently upgraded my account and unexpectedly all of my recent photos were no longer shareable. Apparently, and somehow unbeknownst to 'moi', I had no idea that Photobucket had migrated all of my libraries to a newly launched platform. Somehow I missed the news! o_O

The good news is that the new platform is lot slicker looking and easier to use so I am really hoping all good to go now. Just posting a pic to test the new platform:

Myke

Reaction score
Just realize that this tent when broken down into its bag is very long. You would want a rack system on your topper to transport it. Somewhere around 7 - 8 feet. I’ll get a measurement tomorrow since it is in storage and edit this post with the actual length.

Edit —> actual length is 82” or 6’ 10”. Note that the std model does not have waterproofing in the roof, With which I have no problem as I never slept in it. This is why they offer a camper version that does lend itself to be used as a tent.

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I had written an email to B2 Fabrication about production of their Magnaflow replacement muffler systems. I received a response within 2 days from Matt at B2 Fabrication who gave me the good news that they now have some systems in stock. Based on my inquiry, Matt suggested that I go with the "Moderate" system as that would provide the typical Magnaflow sound I like without any drone. If I want, I could opt for the "Resonator Delete" system for a slightly more aggressive sound with potentially some minor drone. And he confirmed my concern that the "Aggressive" system would not fit my needs as it will definitely be louder with noticeable drone.

I placed my order for the system today. The good news is that Matt also provided a code for 10% discount along with the free shipping. Great folks to work with!

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Aftermarket Exhaust

The B2 Fabrication Stainless Steel Magnaflow Retrofit Exhaust System arrived in great condition; everything was wrapped up really well with no signs of damage. I really liked the metal stamping on the SS muffler itself...nice touch.

Simple tools needed are 13MM socket, 5/8-inch socket, 11/16-wrench or socket, hand ratchet with at least a 6-inch extender, hack saw or reciprocating saw, torque wrench, muffler strap removal tool, and silicon sealant. The muffler is shipped with (2) bolts and corresponding washers and nuts, and a sticker. Hard to imagine it would take 3-4 hours to install based on the packaging but I thought maybe it was because of the sticker.

Crawling under the truck once again, I am always amazed on how massive the Ram's factory muffler really is (and heavy too).

Anyway, the first thing you have to do is make a 1-1/4" inch mark behind the factory muffler outlet. Considering the factory welding is not perfectly symmetrical, there is some room for error but the new muffler outlet uses an expanded tube that gets clamped down so you don't need to be exact. Still, it is always nerve wracking to cut into brand new factory parts. I was not about to spend 30 mins or more trying to cut through the exhaust tubing by hand with a hack saw, so I used a reciprocating saw and got the factory exhaust tubing cut in under a minute.

The next step is to remove the muffler from the front pipe flange (2 bolts); I did so but then loosely fitted back with one bolt to keep the muffler from sliding off the front strap. The front (black) rubber strap is very easy to slip off the hanger but the two rear (red) rubber straps are pretty frustrating to do without a strap removal tool (I didn't have one). I sprayed the hangers with WD-40 and basically had to compress and twist the straps until I was able to slide off the hanger. I am sure there more effective ways to do this without using the specialty tool. You need to remove the steel gasket from the front flange (simple pressure tabs per photo below) as the gasket needs to be reused on the B2 Fab muffler. Also, don't forget to disconnect the grounding strap (hanging in photo below).

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Aftermarket Exhaust (continued)

To install the new B2 Fab Magnaflow muffler, you need to install the factory gasket on the inlet pipe and slide the tube clamp over the expanded outlet pipe. B2 recommends that first bolt the system to the front flange but I found that it made it too difficult in getting the resonator pipe inserted in the new muffler's outlet tubing. So instead, I attached the muffler strap on the front (since it easily slips right on), inserted the resonator pipe into the muffler's outlet tube, attached the two red muffler straps on the rear, then bolted the front flange with the supplied nuts, washers, and bolts. After securing the front, I then tightened the rear tube clamp securing the resonator pipe inside the new muffler outlet tube. B2 Fab also recommends using a silicone sealant inside the outlet tube before tightening, but I didn't have any so I just made sure the tube was completely inserted and very tight.

After checking that everything cleared and nothing would rattle, and reconnecting the grounding strap, I checked the alignment of the factory tailpipes and all looks great!

Initial Impressions

Upon start up, you are greeted with a lower, slightly more purposeful sound than the factory setup. It doesn't bellow as much like a complete cat-back system. Instead, it has a more subtle but richer tone to it. At idle and very low rpms, you notice the richer tones but it is not loud at all. Upon WOT however, you do notice the deeper, more powerful sounds but without any real intrusion into the cab and no drone at all at higher rpms; it just sounds really good without being obnoxious in any way. Best way to put it is the exhaust sounds purposeful but mature, not anywhere near "let's turn heads" levels. For those that might want more than what I am describing, another option is to pair this system with the B2 Fab resonator delete system for a more throatier, louder experience (at expense of some drone into the cab).

I will post a video soon.

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Yakima Roof Rack System

Since I had ordered my ARE Z-2 Series topper with the Yakima roof rails, I decided to install my Yakima HD Cross-bar system that I retained from my 2018 Titan PRO 4X build. Of course, the first step was to dry fit everything before I chopped up the expensive cross-bars. I measured everything over and over again to make sure it would clear my shop's garage door. Talk about close...glad I didn't choose a tire with another 1/2-inches of height!

The cross-bars were 72-inches wide as I had them installed across the retractable tonneau cover on the Titan but were much too wide for placing on the roof of the topper. I really like clean lines, so I decided that I didn't want to extend past the curve of the topper roof ; I used a reciprocating saw to reduce each of the bars down to 54-inches wide including the end caps. This necessitated drilling new cap holes for mounting back on the bar but everything turned out as expected.

Here you can see how the bars are fitted with the curve of the topper roof for a clean but functional look:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread