5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desert Dawg Ram Rebel Build

"Linex" the skid plate a matte black or leave the factory silver color?

• Paint or Linex skid plate matte black

Votes: 62 71.3%
  • Leave skid plate silver

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Other (reply in thread)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
ARE Z2 Series Topper

So for my Ram Rebel, I decided to try out the newest ARE offering; the Z2 Series topper. The Z2 comes with same rear door features such as the heavy-duty C-spring hinges and slam latch system as the regular Z-Series which is more stout than that of the Leer’s or Snugtop’s standard hinges and latch system. I also liked the trimless edges and the contour strip at the bottom of the door that matches up nicely with the tailgate; very sleek looking. But my favorite feature are the frameless side windows (inside and out) with the optional frameless pop out vent widows with screens. I also had ordered it with the Yakima roof rails, sliding front window that also folds down for cleaning, a 12V 3-plug power source for the bed, and a 12V LED dome light.

2020 Ram Rebel_ARE Z2-Series_Topper_5.21 (2)_cw.png
2020 Ram Rebel_ARE Z2-Series_Topper_5.21 (3)_cw.png
2020 Ram Rebel_ARE Z2-Series_Topper_5.21 (4)_cw.png
2020 Ram Rebel_ARE Z2-Series_Topper_5.21 (5)_cw.png 2020 Ram Rebel_ARE Z2-Series_Topper_5.21 (6)_cw.png 2020 Ram Rebel_ARE Z2-Series_Topper_5.21 (7)_cw.jpg 2020 Ram Rebel_ARE Z2-Series_Topper_5.21 (8)_cw.png 2020 Ram Rebel_ARE Z2-Series_Topper_5.21 (1)_cw.png
Edits: Repaired broken links/reloaded photos

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Wheels and Tires Mounted

Spent a couple of hours at Discount Tire to mount my Black Rhino Dugger 18x8.5 +0MM offset wheels on the new Yokohama Geolander MT G003 LT295/70R18 tires (34.4 inches tall x 12 inches wide). I also went with Gorilla black locking lug nuts to complete the package. The tires balanced very nicely and are incredibly smooth at [highway] speed...amazing for such an aggressive tire. Road noise is noticeably louder but not overly intrusive at all (for now) so time will tell on how much noisier they will get. But based on the numerous reviews, I should have excellent all-season performance on- and off-road.

Based on all the comments I got from both the Discount Tire shop techs and customers alike, and my neighbors...lol...I think I did pretty good with this combo selection.

Yokohama Geolanders MT G003_LT295.70.R18_Black Rhino Dugger_18x85 +0MM Offset_0_cw.png

Yokohama Geolanders MT G003_LT295.70.R18_Black Rhino Dugger_18x85 +0MM Offset_5.JPG

Yokohama Geolanders MT G003_LT295.70.R18_Black Rhino Dugger_18x85 +0MM Offset_2_cw.png

At first, the techs were worried about the wheels (with balancing weights) clearing the brake calipers; it was close! Then they didn’t think the tires would clear without rubbing but the Falcon suspension I am currently running provides an additional 1+ inches over the factory Rebel ride height and allowed the taller/wider tires on the slightly more aggressive offset wheels to clear at full lock side to side, but barely! When I get the Dirt Logic coil-overs installed in another week or so, I will net another 1+ inches of ride height over the Falcon system (so 2-2 ¼ inches over the factory Rebel ride height) and therefore no clearance issues when four wheeling.

Also, my constant measuring of varying tire/wheel combos paid off too. As you know, I really didn’t want the wider tires’ tread extending too far past the fenders in order to prevent throwing road debris, gravel, or rocks up at the truck. I happy to report that the tires are almost flush with the outside edge of the fenders, so perfect set up for me.

Yokohama Geolanders MT G003_LT295.70.R18_Black Rhino Dugger_18x85 +0MM Offset_1.JPG

I am extremely excited about the final look; clean but with a custom tough look.

Yokohama Geolanders MT G003_LT295.70.R18_Black Rhino Dugger_18x85 +0MM Offset_full.jpg

Hopefully I will have my new Fabtech Dirt Logic 3-inch Coil-over/UCA system installed within another week or so as that should finalize the overall look and performance I was striving for! Soon after, I will be testing everything out at the desert dunes and trails in the Rio Puerco.

Edits: Repaired broken links/reloaded photos

Last edited:

NHjake98

Reaction score
Wheels and Tires Mounted

Spent a couple of hours at Discount Tire to mount my Black Rhino Dugger 18x8.5 +0MM offset wheels on the new Yokohama Geolander MT G003 LT295/70R18 tires (34.4 inches tall x 12 inches wide). I also went with Gorilla black locking lug nuts to complete the package. The tires balanced very nicely and are incredibly smooth at [highway] speed...amazing for such an aggressive tire. Road noise is noticeably louder but not overly intrusive at all (for now) so time will tell on how much noisier they will get. But based on the numerous reviews, I should have excellent all-season performance on- and off-road.

Based on all the comments I got from both the Discount Tire shop techs and customers alike, and my neighbors...lol...I think I did pretty good with this combo selection.

At first, the techs were worried about the wheels (with balancing weights) clearing the brake calipers; it was close! Then they didn’t think the tires would clear without rubbing but the Falcon suspension I am currently running provides an additional 1+ inches over the factory Rebel ride height and allowed the taller/wider tires on the slightly more aggressive offset wheels to clear at full lock side to side, but barely! When I get the Dirt Logic coil-overs installed in another week or so, I will net another 1+ inches of ride height over the Falcon system (so 2-2 ¼ inches over the factory Rebel ride height) and therefore no clearance issues when four wheeling.

Also, my constant measuring of varying tire/wheel combos paid off too. As you know, I really didn’t want the wider tires’ tread extending too far past the fenders in order to prevent throwing road debris, gravel, or rocks up at the truck. I happy to report that the tires are almost flush with the outside edge of the fenders, so perfect set up for me.

I am extremely excited about the final look; clean but with a custom tough look.

Hopefully I will have my new Fabtech Dirt Logic 3-inch Coil-over/UCA system installed within another week or so as that should finalize the overall look and performance I was striving for! Soon after, I will be testing everything out at the desert dunes and trails in the Rio Puerco.

Additional content and spelling corrections
That looks amazing! So they are noisier than the Duratracs?

Bigalh79

Reaction score
Wheels and Tires Mounted

Additional content and spelling corrections
Looks good! I was looking at these wheels but wasn't sure how they would look. I've got a white rebel and was thinking of getting these wheels and painting the rings red.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
That looks amazing! So they are noisier than the Duratracs?

Thanks! Yes, they are a tad louder but quite honestly don't even hear them when talking or just listening to the radio. But I like hearing them just enough with the windows open. If they don't get too much louder with wear, I'll be a happy camper.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Looks good! I was looking at these wheels but wasn't sure how they would look. I've got a white rebel and was thinking of getting these wheels and painting the rings red.

Thanks Bigalh79! I think they would look good; the center portion is very close to the Granite Metallic in direct sunlight (they have a slight metallic finish to them) and black looking in low light so that would provide some contrast to the white. The rock ring is a direct match with the matte black trim on the Rebel but I am struggling with painting them red; I keep switching back and forth as on one hand I fear it would make the wheel look too busy and/or detract from the high quality metallic finish and then on the other I think it would look really cool and custom. Maybe if you went with a really deep red red color vs. a bright red as that would keep the wheel looking rich?

Kiwisteve

Reaction score
ARE Z2 Series Topper

So for my Ram Rebel, I decided to try out the newest ARE offering; the Z2 Series topper. The Z2 comes with same rear door features such as the heavy-duty C-spring hinges and slam latch system as the regular Z-Series which is more stout than that of the Leer’s or Snugtop’s standard hinges and latch system. I also liked the trimless edges and the contour strip at the bottom of the door that matches up nicely with the tailgate; very sleek looking. But my favorite feature are the frameless side windows (inside and out) with the optional frameless pop out vent widows with screens. I also had ordered it with the Yakima roof rails, sliding front window that also folds down for cleaning, a 12V 3-plug power source for the bed, and a 12V LED dome light.

Loving the build so far! Just got my BTS and going to be doing somewhat similar designs, I’m from NZ/Australia so those camping and overland setups are what we froth on! Interested about the ARE topper, love the design, but were you planning on running a roof top tent? I know these aren’t the strongest being fiberglass..I’ve been looking at the RTD and RSI ally tops, any thoughts about these?

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Loving the build so far! Just got my BTS and going to be doing somewhat similar designs, I’m from NZ/Australia so those camping and overland setups are what we froth on! Interested about the ARE topper, love the design, but were you planning on running a roof top tent? I know these aren’t the strongest being fiberglass..I’ve been looking at the RTD and RSI ally tops, any thoughts about these?

Thanks Steve! Yeah, I am envious of you guys down in NZ/Australia as it always seems you have the cooler aftermarket stuff...lol. If I lived there, I be driving a fully modded up Land Cruiser for sure as that was my preferred build but couldn't get the mods I wanted (aka, the Aussie stuff) as it got too cost prohibitive to ship to the US.

I am not planning on running a roof tent since I was thinking of going the tow-behind 4x4/Overland trailer route. However, I may put on a low profile cargo rack on the topper that can support up to 200 lbs of extra gear. For my intended use, the ARE or similar fiberglass topper is fine plus keeps the weight down a little.

I didn't know about the RTD Design toppers! Very interesting design and features; looks to be very stout since made of SS and extremely functional that would fit an overland build perfectly. But the SS construction makes it a very pricey option that is overkill for my needs.

I have seen the RSI truck caps and actually sort of considered it! Extremely pricey but dang it looks really good and very functional! I was pretty smitten with their SmartCap EVO with its modular design and integrated roof rails that can support a lot more weight. The modular component allows you take off the sides and/or the whole unit if needed. It is also made of SS. At almost $4K U.S. for the base unit, it can easily approach +$6K with paint, options, and shipping. But you can build it with a side min-kitchen, side storage bins, drawers, racks, etc. Pretty cool! If price was not a factor, I would have considered this more as there is actually a dealer here in Albuquerque.

This Rebel rendering looks really cool but is at least a 6-inch lift with massively large wheels and tires. But great look for the topper!

RSI Smartcap.jpg Edits: deleted content

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
My wife took the Ram on some errands around town earlier today and stopped by Rally Van LLC which builds nicely outfitted custom Expedition conversions with Mercedes Benz Sprinter vans.

Brown-Bunni-Rally-Van-city-lights-vanlife-get-outside-6.jpg

She said that when she pulled up, the guys at Rally started smiling at the truck. Apparently, they only spec out Black Rhino wheels themselves since they are very well built but hardly seen; they loved the look/function of my lift/tire/wheel combo and told her that her "husband knows what he is doing".

If they only knew...lol!

Anyway, always good to get some positive reinforcement from the professional builders. :D

Last edited:

DeDax

Reaction score
I've been trying to convince my wife for years to get a 4x4 Diesel Sprinter. They really are the ultimate for an active family.

As for the recognition, it does certainly feel good when someone appreciates your upgrade efforts.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I've been trying to convince my wife for years to get a 4x4 Diesel Sprinter. They really are the ultimate for an active family.

As for the recognition, it does certainly feel good when someone appreciates your upgrade efforts.

Yeah, that would be pretty awesome. We thought about it too but in the end its quite the investment for something that we would only use occasionally.

For that reason, I think I am going to opt for a small tow-behind expedition teardrop that will still allow me to traverse trails while providing some reasonable accommodations for the 3-4 day long expedition trips. If we really get into longer road trips/overnighters then maybe I might consider something bigger, but right now I am thinking "small"; something like this (though not necessarily this exact camper):

Timberleaf-Pika-Teardrop-Camper-Trailer-1-1600x1068 (2).jpg
But painted to match of course...lol. But with the topper on the truck and roof rack, I would have plenty of storage for gear.

Last edited:

Roaminglost

Reaction score
Looking good! I highly recommend bolting the camper to the truck. The clamps are fine on road but offroad i wouldn't trust it.

MikeyLikey619

Reaction score
Your wheels look great! Trucks coming along nicely. Loving the color on the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Looking good! I highly recommend bolting the camper to the truck. The clamps are fine on road but offroad i wouldn't trust it.

Thanks; totally agree and have done that previously as well!

Your wheels look great! Trucks coming along nicely. Loving the color on the wheels.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you...very pleased with the color scheme coming together. Now just need to get the skid plate to match as well!

mbennett22

Reaction score
@Desert Dawg any word on when the Fabtech lift will be delivered? I am very interested in you and @Roaminglost builds and can't wait to see how yours turns out with the dirt logic lift. I have a 2019 ORP which I believe I would be in the same situation as the rebel and don't want to spend money on something that is only going to net 1 inch.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
@Desert Dawg any word on when the Fabtech lift will be delivered? I am very interested in you and @Roaminglost builds and can't wait to see how yours turns out with the dirt logic lift. I have a 2019 ORP which I believe I would be in the same situation as the rebel and don't want to spend money on something that is only going to net 1 inch.

Yes, Desert Rat just called me and stated that Fabtech contacted them with an update; they have almost all of the lift components ready to ship except they are still waiting on the heavy duty ball joints. But they expect everything shipped within the next 5-10 days. I have been really anxious to get the system installed but my shop won't schedule anything until all the parts arrive since they are really busy and obviously don't want to delay other customers if my lift's shipping is delayed further. But it will drive me crazy if I have to wait another 2-3 weeks for a time slot after the lift finally does arrive...lol.

Construction Rebel

Reaction score
Just had the 3” fabtech installed on my truck, they didn’t install one of the spacers because they didn’t want to mess up CV joints, I’m going back to shop to have them install it because fabtech will cover anything if it doesn’t work correctly, rides amazing just not level until they install spacer end of month

Attachments

• 1A580ACD-FCB7-4A45-9A83-04E667C7783F.jpeg
    1A580ACD-FCB7-4A45-9A83-04E667C7783F.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 498
  • 35F0A6DE-9494-4728-A63C-9E0C8ADE2E9C.jpeg
    35F0A6DE-9494-4728-A63C-9E0C8ADE2E9C.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 481

Users who are viewing this thread