5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desert Dawg Ram Rebel Build

"Linex" the skid plate a matte black or leave the factory silver color?

• Paint or Linex skid plate matte black

Votes: 62 71.3%
  • Leave skid plate silver

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Other (reply in thread)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Tire Selection

As my shortlist suggests, there is quite a selection available of high quality, great performing tires to choose from. Setting costs aside, I was able to narrow down my shortlist to a Top 3 based my main criteria for good looks, very good grip in most on- and off-road conditions, and on-road noise/comfort. Secondary to those were the preferences for being made in America, balanced proportions once mounted, and tire weight. As it turns out, all of tires shortlisted were made in America but only one by an American-owned company.

First, the tires that I did not carry forward included:

The Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac got dropped despite the fact that I love the available sizing options with the proportions that I prefer and the lighter weight was a real plus over all of the others on my shortlist. In the end, I just did not want to worry about the thinner sidewall when trailing and the fact that these tires do get loud with wear.

The Toyo Open Country R/T also got dropped as I really didn’t like the overall look as much as the others and performance in wet conditions was a concern. Other than that, they seem to be a great option given they are lighter than most of the others and seem to provide really good ride comfort and are quiet even with wear.

The General Grabber X3 was a strong contender for me because I just really wanted to try out this tire. Performance wise, the tire is probably one of the strongest performers in my shortlist but the on-road noise/comfort reviews were mixed (quite a bit) which gave me some pause and it was also the heaviest tire on my list. Finally, hard packed snow is its Achilles heel which threw it down some more since I encounter plenty of that on mountain roads/trails (5000-12,000 ft.) during the winter through early spring. Still, it was close!

Therefore, my remaining Top 3 were (in no particular order):

1. Cooper SST PRO

2. Nitto Ridge Grappler

3. Yokohama Geolander MT G003

The Cooper SST PRO was definitely high on my list as it is the only tire shortlisted that is made in America and owned by an American company. I also have past experience with them and can attest to their excellent grip in dry and wet conditions both on- and off-road with plenty of reviews that reinforce that. And, they are great looking as well (one of my favorites). But in the end, they were just over my preferred limit on weight (69 lbs.) and my first-hand knowledge of how loud they eventually became ruled them out (and that they didn’t meet my build mantra to try something new). However, I have to say that I really kept looking for reviews that maybe contradicted my previous experience with the tire; if I could find enough reviews about how much quieter they are from what I remember, I would tolerate another couple of pounds to run them again.

The Nitto Ridge Grappler just kept coming up as the perfect tire to select (again) as it pretty much does almost everything really well, looks good, and I have had prior experience using them on long road trips as well as on some desert and mountain off-road adventures for a couple of different builds; the ride quality and low noise on long trips, even with wear, is excellent despite the more aggressive looks. But eventually it got dropped as it did not meet my desire to “try something new” and was the smallest tire on the list (although not by much) without selecting an even heavier size. Still, using my build mantra and slightly smaller sizing (to maintain the weight) seem like weak excuses given it is that good of a tire!

So that leaves the Yokohama Geolander MT G003 as my final selection!

This tire meets all of my criteria. The tire’s styling presents aggressive good looks (although just a tad busy compared to some of the others IMHO but still very good looking) and has exceptional grip in both dry and wet conditions for on- and off-road driving. Interesting enough, it purportedly has the best stopping distance under wet conditions (for improved safety performance). The tire carcass has the strength and sidewall protection needed for overcoming tougher trail challenges such as sharp rocks and fallen trees while still handling loose sand, packed/loose snow, and mud yet reviewers mark it as one of the “quieter” MTs out there on pavement. Despite its robust construction, the tire is also one the lighter tires on my shortlist as well. Finally, it meets my build mantra to “try something new”!

And even though price was not a factor, it turns out to be a bonus as these tires are also the lowest priced. So in the end, the Yokohama Geolander MT G003 seems to be the best value overall in terms of style, features, performance, and price!

Since I have had no previous experience with these or any other Yokohama tire, I really had to base my decision on reviews by others. Fortunately, these tires were tested and reviewed by a number of reputable reviewers such as:

OffRoad Extreme: https://www.offroadxtreme.com/engine-tech/wheels-tires/yokohama-geolandar-mt-g003-tire-review/

IH8MUD.com: https://www.ih8mud.com/product-review/review-yokohama-geolandar-mt-g003/

Motor Trend: https://www.motortrend.com/news/yokohama-geolandar-mt-g003-off-road-tire-review/

Expedition Portal: https://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-yokohama-geolander-mt-g003/

Per above, there were one or two reviews where they stated that the Yokohama MTs are loud but qualified the statement since “they are a MT tire”; I took this as being somewhat subjective as the tires would be loud compared to a street or AT/hybrid tire but relatively speaking would be quieter than other MTs as also stated in most of the reviews.

There are quite a few other reviews as well if you’re so inclined to search for them. In short, all were consistent with their general evaluations that the Yokohama Geolander MT G003 provides very good to excellent performance in terms of:

• Good looks
  • Good mix of on-road and off-road driving dynamics
  • Well-built carcass; 3-poly body plies, 2-steel belts, full nylon cap, rim protector, hexagonal bead
  • New triple-polymer tread compound for 8% longer tread life over competitors
  • Aggressive sidewall armor
  • Improved block-to-void ratio
  • Variable pitch tread for reduced road noise
  • Siping depth @ 80% of the tire tread thickness
  • Excellent grip in wet conditions (on-road and wet rock); includes claim of providing 51-feet shorter stopping distance in wet conditions compared to other MTs (did not find the report)
  • Very good performance in silt, soft sand, and hard packed dirt
  • Great performance as well for rock crawling
Yokohoma Geolander MT G003 (1).jpg

So I decided the Yokohama Geolander MT G003 is worth a try and will be reporting back on their performance as I take them out under varying conditions.

Now I need to order them and have the tires mounted on the Black Rhino Dugger wheels!

Last edited:

DeDax

Reaction score
What a well thought out & organized decision. The criteria for your build and the reasoning behind your final selection makes perfect sense. Can't wait to see them on your rebel.

Roaminglost

Reaction score
So basically Fox released the 2.5 coilovers for the ram ? I’ll probably just try to add those and not the whole bds kit if possible since I already have the ready lift control arms
yeah but its only a 1" lift for rebels so not my pick just yet but a good option for some.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
So made some progress today as Desert Rat called to let me know that Fabtech should be shipping my Dirt Logic suspension system within the next 7-10 days...whoopee! :D

Having them price the Geolanders for me; if decent, I will order from them directly and have them go ahead and mount the Black Rhino wheels. Can't wait to see how they look!

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
This is great news, who does all these suspension installs for you ?

I have Desert Rat Off-Road Centers do most of my suspension installs. I have known their local store manager for over 30-years now since he first started out so I always get decent pricing and great service with them.

NHjake98

Reaction score
Tire Selection

As my shortlist suggests, there is quite a selection available of high quality, great performing tires to choose from. Setting costs aside, I was able to narrow down my shortlist to a Top 3 based my main criteria for good looks, very good grip in most on- and off-road conditions, and on-road noise/comfort. Secondary to those were the preferences for being made in America, balanced proportions once mounted, and tire weight. As it turns out, all of tires shortlisted were made in America but only one by an American-owned company.

First, the tires that I did not carry forward included:

The Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac got dropped despite the fact that I love the available sizing options with the proportions that I prefer and the lighter weight was a real plus over all of the others on my shortlist. In the end, I just did not want to worry about the thinner sidewall when trailing and the fact that these tires do get loud with wear.

The Toyo Open Country R/T also got dropped as I really didn’t like the overall look as much as the others and performance in wet conditions was a concern. Other than that, they seem to be a great option given they are lighter than most of the others and seem to provide really good ride comfort and are quiet even with wear.

The General Grabber X3 was a strong contender for me because I just really wanted to try out this tire. Performance wise, the tire is probably one of the strongest performers in my shortlist but the on-road noise/comfort reviews were mixed (quite a bit) which gave me some pause and it was also the heaviest tire on my list. Finally, hard packed snow is its Achilles heel which threw it down some more since I encounter plenty of that on mountain roads/trails (5000-12,000 ft.) during the winter through early spring. Still, it was close!

Therefore, my remaining Top 3 were (in no particular order):

1. Cooper SST PRO

2. Nitto Ridge Grappler

3. Yokohama Geolander MT G003

The Cooper SST PRO was definitely high on my list as it is the only tire shortlisted that is made in America and owned by an American company. I also have past experience with them and can attest to their excellent grip in dry and wet conditions both on- and off-road with plenty of reviews that reinforce that. And, they are great looking as well (one of my favorites). But in the end, they were just over my preferred limit on weight (69 lbs.) and my first-hand knowledge of how loud they eventually became ruled them out (and that they didn’t meet my build mantra to try something new). However, I have to say that I really kept looking for reviews that maybe contradicted my previous experience with the tire; if I could find enough reviews about how much quieter they are from what I remember, I would tolerate another couple of pounds to run them again.

The Nitto Ridge Grappler just kept coming up as the perfect tire to select (again) as it pretty much does almost everything really well, looks good, and I have had prior experience using them on long road trips as well as on some desert and mountain off-road adventures for a couple of different builds; the ride quality and low noise on long trips, even with wear, is excellent despite the more aggressive looks. But eventually it got dropped as it did not meet my desire to “try something new” and was the smallest tire on the list (although not by much) without selecting an even heavier size. Still, using my build mantra and slightly smaller sizing (to maintain the weight) seem like weak excuses given it is that good of a tire!

So that leaves the Yokohama Geolander MT G003 as my final selection!

This tire meets all of my criteria. The tire’s styling presents aggressive good looks (although just a tad busy compared to some of the others IMHO but still very good looking) and has exceptional grip in both dry and wet conditions for on- and off-road driving. Interesting enough, it purportedly has the best stopping distance under wet conditions (for improved safety performance). The tire carcass has the strength and sidewall protection needed for overcoming tougher trail challenges such as sharp rocks and fallen trees while still handling loose sand, packed/loose snow, and mud yet reviewers mark it as one of the “quieter” MTs out there on pavement. Despite its robust construction, the tire is also one the lighter tires on my shortlist as well. Finally, it meets my build mantra to “try something new”!

And even though price was not a factor, it turns out to be a bonus as these tires are also the lowest priced. So in the end, the Yokohama Geolander MT G003 seems to be the best value overall in terms of style, features, performance, and price!

Since I have had no previous experience with these or any other Yokohama tire, I really had to base my decision on reviews by others. Fortunately, these tires were tested and reviewed by a number of reputable reviewers such as:

OffRoad Extreme: https://www.offroadxtreme.com/engine-tech/wheels-tires/yokohama-geolandar-mt-g003-tire-review/

IH8MUD.com: https://www.ih8mud.com/product-review/review-yokohama-geolandar-mt-g003/

Motor Trend: https://www.motortrend.com/news/yokohama-geolandar-mt-g003-off-road-tire-review/

Expedition Portal: https://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-yokohama-geolander-mt-g003/

Per above, there were one or two reviews where they stated that the Yokohama MTs are loud but qualified the statement since “they are a MT tire”; I took this as being somewhat subjective as the tires would be loud compared to a street or AT/hybrid tire but relatively speaking would be quieter than other MTs as also stated in most of the reviews.

There are quite a few other reviews as well if you’re so inclined to search for them. In short, all were consistent with their general evaluations that the Yokohama Geolander MT G003 provides very good to excellent performance in terms of:

• Good looks
  • Good mix of on-road and off-road driving dynamics
  • Well-built carcass; 3-poly body plies, 2-steel belts, full nylon cap, rim protector, hexagonal bead
  • New triple-polymer tread compound for 8% longer tread life over competitors
  • Aggressive sidewall armor
  • Improved block-to-void ratio
  • Variable pitch tread for reduced road noise
  • Siping depth @ 80% of the tire tread thickness
  • Excellent grip in wet conditions (on-road and wet rock); includes claim of providing 51-feet shorter stopping distance in wet conditions compared to other MTs (did not find the report)
  • Very good performance in silt, soft sand, and hard packed dirt
  • Great performance as well for rock crawling

So I decided the Yokohama Geolander MT G003 is worth a try and will be reporting back on their performance as I take them out under varying conditions.

Now I need to order them and have the tires mounted on the Black Rhino Dugger wheels!
And what size did you decide on?

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
And what size did you decide on?

To both keep the weight down and not have too tall a sidewall with the 18-inch diameter wheels, I think I am going with LT295/70R18s which are 34.3-inches tall and 12 inches wide (measured on an 8.5-inch wide rim) @ 65.9 lbs.

Edit: grammatical correction

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Well, Desert Rat's pricing was almost $50/tire higher at $330/tire than Discount Tire's listed price at $282/tire (before any other discounts or deals). So I called my buddy who manages one of the local stores; he can get another 5% off, along with discounting the warranty certificates, and may have a buyer for my Rebel wheels and tires. Hopefully have the tires here within the week and will have them mounted up on the Black Rhino wheels. Can't wait to see how they look!

MikeyLikey619

Reaction score
Fuel Zephyr wheels going on today! Hopefully i like them or I’m not rolling out of the shop haha.

Also wanted to say i went with the 295/70/r18 falken wildpeak at3w’s. Love them. There is no road noise and they are aggressive enough for me. Not sure if you’re want more or a MT look than AT but these were a great choice got them for 1000 out the door with tax mounted balanced etc.

50cd7522e70f0a2fdcf842c89f3cba14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Fuel Zephyr wheels going on today! Hopefully i like them or I’m not rolling out of the shop haha.

Also wanted to say i went with the 295/70/r18 falken wildpeak at3w’s. Love them. There is no road noise and they are aggressive enough for me. Not sure if you’re want more or a MT look than AT but these were a great choice got them for 1000 out the door with tax mounted balanced etc.

Congrats on the Zephyr wheels...I had considered those too. I was very intrigued about the Falkens; in the end, they weren't as aggressive as I wanted my setup to be but the AT3W is a great tire for sure.

I am excited about see my Black Rhino wheels mounted with the Yokohama Geolander MTs later today so will post up on how that combo turned out!

Last edited:

Bigalh79

Reaction score
Congrats on the Zephyr wheels...I had considered those too. t. I was very intrigued about the Falkens; in the end, they weren't as aggressive as I wanted my setup to be but the AT3W is a great tire for sure.

I am excited about see my Black Rhino wheels mounted with the Yokohama Geolander MTs later today so will post up on how that combo turned out!
I can't wait to see how they look. They're on my list of wheels but I'm not sure how they would look on my white rebel. At least this will let me see how they look on a rebel.

4XPEDITION

Reaction score
Hey @Desert Dawg Thanks for this detailed thread. I have been spending hours upon hours researching lifts, wheels and tires for the new 4XPEDITION RAM 1500 Explorer build we are doing (https://4xpedition.com/equipment/off-road-vehicles/ram-1500-long-range-overland-explorer/). I am really wanting a 3-4 inch lift and 37s and most of the reading I have been doing says you can get away with it with nominal trimming (most saying it comes down to the offset). I am not a wide tire guy so that helps. I was strongly considering the Toyo Open Country R/T with Black Rhino Armory in 9.5 and size 17 but I have to research a bit more. I appreciate your detailed thought process on the weight of the tire. I am leaving for Bozeman MT on Wednesday next week to have my new Overland Explorer Camp X installed in the back which weighs over a thousand pounds dry. We're adding AirLift spring bags on the rear tomorrow before heading up to support the extra weight. I wanted to lift the vehicle once back home in Arizona in June but don't want a huge lift. Just want the tires to fill the well nicely but also add a few inches more in height. I would love my truck to look like the AEV Recruit at the end of the build. Look forward to seeing your new lift, wheels and tires. Post some shots when you have a moment. Best, Scott

Razilla76

Reaction score
Hey @Desert Dawg Thanks for this detailed thread. I have been spending hours upon hours researching lifts, wheels and tires for the new 4XPEDITION RAM 1500 Explorer build we are doing (https://4xpedition.com/equipment/off-road-vehicles/ram-1500-long-range-overland-explorer/). I am really wanting a 3-4 inch lift and 37s and most of the reading I have been doing says you can get away with it with nominal trimming (most saying it comes down to the offset). I am not a wide tire guy so that helps. I was strongly considering the Toyo Open Country R/T with Black Rhino Armory in 9.5 and size 17 but I have to research a bit more. I appreciate your detailed thought process on the weight of the tire. I am leaving for Bozeman MT on Wednesday next week to have my new Overland Explorer Camp X installed in the back which weighs over a thousand pounds dry. We're adding AirLift spring bags on the rear tomorrow before heading up to support the extra weight. I wanted to lift the vehicle once back home in Arizona in June but don't want a huge lift. Just want the tires to fill the well nicely but also add a few inches more in height. I would love my truck to look like the AEV Recruit at the end of the build. Look forward to seeing your new lift, wheels and tires. Post some shots when you have a moment. Best, Scott

I don’t think 17” wheels will fit on the 2019+ Rams due to the larger brakes. 18” is the minimum and even then, it can depend on wheel brand and offset.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score

@4XPEDITION ; Thanks for following along and very humbled if I am able to give you any ideas. I checked out your 4XPEDITION RAM 1500 Overland Explorer; very cool build concept you have planned (love the photoshop concept you posted)! That would be pretty cool if you got by with a 3-inch lift especially if you add stiffer Eibach springs working with some Fox or King shocks to provide as much wheeling articulation with the tall, heavy meats, bumper, and winch. But I agree with @Razilla76 that 17-inch wheels won't fit with the new 5th Gen brake sizes.

I really like your YouTube channel and videos showing what you can do non-typical overlanding vehicles like the Subaru too. Can't wait to see how the new camper works out for the Ram.

Anyone interested should check it out!

Last edited:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m still trying to figure out how you’re going to get 17” wheels on it, also I just purchased a 2020 Subaru Outback and am looking into a mild lift for that. :)

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Bed Topper Selection

On previous builds, I have tried out various bed topper options to help hide/secure items around town or during road trips as well as provide an additional measure of protection against the elements. When four wheeling, they are also useful for ensuring that gear and other items stay within the vehicle and not fly out of the vehicle when hitting bumps, dropping into ruts, or bouncing off rocks.

To date, I have used:

Soft Tonneau Covers:

Easily the least expensive option that I used. My only suggestion is to purchase a high quality cover as they typically fit tighter (so less wind deflections) and stay secured. In the past, I used the Truxedo Lo-Pro QT tonneau cover and in general it performed very well and stayed fairly taut at highway speeds (still, had some wind lift) with the self-adjusting spring tensioner and Velcro side rail cover seals.

truxedo-09-11-dodge-ram-red-lo-pro-qt-roll-up-tonneau-cover-closed-buckskin_1.jpg
Pros: Least expensive option, light, easy installation, provides full access to bed, easy to roll up/remove

Cons: Cannot support much weight (more with optional aluminum slat models), does not secure bed (better with the optional aluminum slat models), may lift/flap once worn with age/use (full vinyl models), cannot be used with bed carriers/rack systems, can leak

Hard Tri-Fold Covers

Tri-fold covers are very popular as they provide an additional measure of security, can be loaded with more weight, are relatively cost effective, and maintain a low, clean profile when closed or partially open but still allow full access and use of the truck bed. I had used the BakFlip cover and for the most part it worked really well. I did not like the fact that the panels totally blocks your rear view vision when fully opened. While I did appreciate having something between a full load and the rear glass window (like when hauling motorcycles), it bothered me that I couldn’t see how secure the load was keeping while on the open road.

DSC_0158.JPG
Pros: Least expensive “hard cover” option, provides easy and full access/use of the truck bed, easy to fold up/remove, supports more weight if needed, can be secured, low profile (when closed)

Cons: Blocks rear window view if fully open, more expensive than soft tonneau covers, security is moderate at best, does not easily work with bed carriers/rack systems, can leak

Retractable Aluminum Covers:

I have used a number of these on past builds ranging from the basic Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit to the Retrax PRO MX to the top of the line Truck Covers USA American Roll Cover. In general, these are excellent options if you want/need more security, provide more load strength, and would like something that works in tandem with bike/ski carriers or cargo baskets over the truck bed while providing easy access to the bed at the same time. The downside is that they take up some front-end bed room to fit the canister and they are a lot more expensive than the previously mentioned options. Avoid the cheaper “plastic” models and pay the extra for the double wall aluminum models for peace of mind, longer term durability, and ease of operation.

DSC_0102_zpsw4971oeb.jpg
Pros: Strong and easy to use, lockable at various positions along bed length, provides easy and full access/use of the truck bed, supports more weight if needed, provides better keyed/locking mechanism for improved security, low profile and does not block rearward view when fully open, works well with over the bed rack/cargo carrier systems (if optioned with Yakima/Thule side rails)

Cons: Expensive, semi-permanent once installed, eats up 10-12 inches of front bed space (although still have space underneath the canister for hauling wood, etc.), requires some maintenance, can leak some, requires drain tubes

Camper Shells/Toppers:

Of all of the options I tried out, this is my preferred bed cover for a variety reasons because form and function really can work well together. First, I really prefer the “expedition” look on my off-roaders. I know some folks can't stand the look, but I think the right topper design can really compliment a vehicle’s look. Secondly, I love the security and function a topper can provide; it allows the truck to serve as an overnight camper in a pinch or even as a bug out vehicle (if you are planning for such), can secure weekend purchases from Lowes/Home Depot, etc. when running about town, can haul loads to disposal sites without the need to tarp it, provides immense additional secured storage during road trips for adventure gear, bikes, luggage, and the sort, and finally gives the vehicle more road presence in general as well.

In the past, toppers usually required investing in a more basic models for purely functional or financial reasons or having to move up to more expensive toppers if you wanted more style. Fortunately over the years there are many more offerings in the market that can appeal to a lot of needs and wallets; even the basic models look pretty darn good with various truck manufacturers’ design lines.

Pros: Fully encloses the bed (so weatherproof), provides best security, higher end models have stylish designs and features, can option with roof rails for cargo trays, bike carriers, etc., can be used for multiple purposes such as hauling/securing valuables or serve as a camper, be can optioned with a variety of side access panels or windows, LED lighting, and myriad of other useful features.

Cons: Can be very expensive especially as you add more options, semi-permanent once installed, limits rear view some, limits height of cargo you can load into bed.

For myself, I have only used toppers from Leer, ARE, and Snugtop. In short, all are really, really good.

Leer is a very good option for providing up to date features and design. Leer tends to be a slightly less expensive alternative to ARE and Snugtop. I used the Leer XQ 100 on my 2004 Dodge 2500HD 4x4 Cummins. At the time, I thought the Leer was just as good as the first Gen ARE Z-Series and I really liked the way the first GEN XQ 100 side glass abutted up to the cab. Paint match was very good however it did not sit as nicely (at corners) as I had hoped on my truck and had some minor hardware issues with the rear lift. The Leers have exposed hardware on the rear glass panel so not as clean looking and the assembly is not as stout. But all in all, a very nice looking topper at the time.

Sorry for the quality (old photo):

Desert Dawg's 2004 Dogde 2500 Cummins 4x4.jpg

Later, I decided to the give the ARE Z-Series topper a try as I thought the lines married up nicely with the F150 I had at the time. The ARE was more expensive thaN an equivalently optioned Leer. The fitment, paint quality, and hardware was excellent and never had any issues.

After that, I decided to try the Snugtop XTR as I really like the (new at the time) design with the integrated roof bars and single center locking handle. The rear door hardware also was exposed but cleaner looking that the Leer's although the assembly hardware was about the same with weaker hinges than the ARE's. I would use this model topper on my next (3) F150 builds as I thought it went very nicely with trucks’ lines. Interestingly enough, I thought the paint match was just slightly off for the basic white and grey colors but was excellent for the more difficult match of the pearl metallic red. Here’s a couple shots:

4=inch Fabtech Suspension System (36).JPG

For my Tundra build, I went back to Leer, Snugtop, and ARE for another look at their latest offerings. The ARE Z-Series came out ahead with its much better hardware (spring tension hinges instead of screwed-in plate hinges, cleaner assembly, more robust but clean looking door handles, etc.) plus the fact I thought it provided the best match with the Tundra’s lines:

Desert Dawg 2015 Tundra 1794 Edition 4X4_September 2017_2.jpg

Desert Dawg 2015 Tundra 1794 Edition 4X4_September 2017_3.jpg

The ARE provided excellent paint match and quality as well as overall tight fit and excellent finish throughout.

Cabover Campers:

I have never tried using an in-bed camper but was toying with the idea of having one as my wife and I are looking forward to doing some expedition camping with some friends. But I decided that instead I will probably go with an small expedition camper trailer with my truck topper serving to secure all of the other camping gear as needed.

Missing from my list are the Hard Tonneau covers since I never saw much value in them (awkward to use if you have any loads taller than the side walls of the truck bed). However, lots of folks like them from a styling perspective or the fact that they can fully secure their truck bed and/or rarely have the need to remove them for very large loads.

Last edited:

DeDax

Reaction score
All the past builds look amazing. Can't wait to see how the Rebel turns out. Did you end up getting your suspension and wheel/tire set up installed this weekend?

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
All the past builds look amazing. Can't wait to see how the Rebel turns out. Did you end up getting your suspension and wheel/tire set up installed this weekend?

Thanks! I did get the wheels and tires mounted but still waiting on the suspension...hopefully, it will arrive this coming week. I will post pics of the new wheel/tire combo soon.

Users who are viewing this thread