5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desert Dawg Ram Rebel Build

"Linex" the skid plate a matte black or leave the factory silver color?

• Paint or Linex skid plate matte black

Votes: 62 71.3%
  • Leave skid plate silver

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Other (reply in thread)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Haven't had time to splice together any off-road videos so thought I would post a couple of short clips (again, sorry for poor quality phone vids as I did not have my GoPro set up).

Nothing exciting but thought it would be fun showing my kid try out the Rebel for the first time. First video is very short clip after cresting a dune and taking it slow before going down:

Second clip, he has gotten more comfortable having fun while out on the dunes (good video for hearing how the B2 Fab exhaust sounds under some throttle at distance):

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
The details of this build out are fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to do this.

One question on the truck cap & its impact on the suspension: does the weight of the ARE cap need to be "considered" or accounted for when doing the level/lift work ? Seems like the weight of the cap might affect the outcome on overall stance (and rake or lack thereof) of the truck.

Appreciate your insight on this. Looking to do similar mods...

Great, glad you can maybe use some of this for your build!

The topper weighs about 180 lbs (unloaded), so really minimal impact unless your loading the truck to its maximum allowable GVWR at which time you need to account for the weight (I am never anywhere near that). But during normal use, the weight is spread across the bed length and actually helps settle the rear end some for improved handling feel. I usually have another 50-100 lbs in the truck cab and/or bed when off-roading, but still pretty light and nothing the rear springs and shocks can't handle; the topper had no noticeable effect on the rake on the rear suspension (unfortunately, I already had installed my Falcon suspension that took out some of the factory rake so don't have any "stock" side views).

Side view showing rake with topper installed (Falcon 1.25-inch front lift with factory rear suspension which retained some minimal rack even with topper):

Side view showing rake with topper installed (Fabtech-Dirt Logic 3-inch lift which removed all of the factory rake and still good with the topper weight after settling in):

Last edited:

Bignick75

Reaction score
Just had the 3” fabtech installed on my truck, they didn’t install one of the spacers because they didn’t want to mess up CV joints, I’m going back to shop to have them install it because fabtech will cover anything if it doesn’t work correctly, rides amazing just not level until they install spacer end of month
Do you have an instagram?

Yuke

Reaction score
love the build, super clean. Just picked up a granite rebel myself and will be headed in a similar direction. In the videos above, the suspension sounds very clunky, is it as noisy as the video indicates?

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
love the build, super clean. Just picked up a granite rebel myself and will be headed in a similar direction. In the videos above, the suspension sounds very clunky, is it as noisy as the video indicates?

Thanks! No, most of the rattling is all the junk in the bed bouncing around (gear, coolers, straps, chairs, etc.). I still don't have a good tie down system installed yet. I might get a minor squeak here and there but nothing like that when empty...lol.

Ctriksen

Reaction score
Wheels and Tires Mounted

Spent a couple of hours at Discount Tire to mount my Black Rhino Dugger 18x8.5 +0MM offset wheels on the new Yokohama Geolander MT G003 LT295/70R18 tires (34.4 inches tall x 12 inches wide). I also went with Gorilla black locking lug nuts to complete the package. The tires balanced very nicely and are incredibly smooth at [highway] speed...amazing for such an aggressive tire. Road noise is noticeably louder but not overly intrusive at all (for now) so time will tell on how much noisier they will get. But based on the numerous reviews, I should have excellent all-season performance on- and off-road.

Based on all the comments I got from both the Discount Tire shop techs and customers alike, and my neighbors...lol...I think I did pretty good with this combo selection.

At first, the techs were worried about the wheels (with balancing weights) clearing the brake calipers; it was close! Then they didn’t think the tires would clear without rubbing but the Falcon suspension I am currently running provides an additional 1+ inches over the factory Rebel ride height and allowed the taller/wider tires on the slightly more aggressive offset wheels to clear at full lock side to side, but barely! When I get the Dirt Logic coil-overs installed in another week or so, I will net another 1+ inches of ride height over the Falcon system (so 2-2 ¼ inches over the factory Rebel ride height) and therefore no clearance issues when four wheeling.

Also, my constant measuring of varying tire/wheel combos paid off too. As you know, I really didn’t want the wider tires’ tread extending too far past the fenders in order to prevent throwing road debris, gravel, or rocks up at the truck. I happy to report that the tires are almost flush with the outside edge of the fenders, so perfect set up for me.

I am extremely excited about the final look; clean but with a custom tough look.

Hopefully I will have my new Fabtech Dirt Logic 3-inch Coil-over/UCA system installed within another week or so as that should finalize the overall look and performance I was striving for! Soon after, I will be testing everything out at the desert dunes and trails in the Rio Puerco.

Edits: Repaired broken links/reloaded photos
Love the build! Do you think a 285/75/18 tire on those wheels would fit with no rubbing? It’s about a 34.8” tall 11.5” wide.

Ctriksen

Reaction score
Well, after almost 2 months of waiting on parts, finally have the Dawg at Desert Rat for installation of the Fabtech 3-inch Dirt Logic suspension.

Front coilovers:

Rear extended length shocks, UCAs, and rear spacers:

I asked Desert Rat to forego installation of the rear spacers since we don't think the system will net 3-inches of actual lift over the factory Rebel ride height but rather will get 2-inches of actual front lift. Considering there is still some noticeable rake, I didn't want to have the front nose high.
Possibly, but I could have gone with true 35s for sure! Still, I like the looks and weight savings with the 34.4 x 12 inch tires.
I’m getting this exact lift as well. I’m debating on a 285/75/18 tire (34.8x11.5) You think that size would fit with this lift, I also have an 18x8.5 0 offset wheel?

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Love the build! Do you think a 285/75/18 tire on those wheels would fit with no rubbing? It’s about a 34.8” tall 11.5” wide.

I’m getting this exact lift as well. I’m debating on a 285/75/18 tire (34.8x11.5) You think that size would fit with this lift, I also have an 18x8.5 0 offset wheel?

Thanks!

I do think the LT285/75R18s will fit under the lift if you go with the 18x8.5-0MM wheel; if anything, you might have to tweak the front coil-overs a tad more for full-lock clearance but I would be surprised if that was the case.

Ctriksen

Reaction score
Have you had to add to add any additional suspension components due to the angles the new equipment has caused? You mentioned earlier in your posts about adding different UCA, why and which are you leaning towards.

Ctriksen

Reaction score
Thanks! No, most of the rattling is all the junk in the bed bouncing around (gear, coolers, straps, chairs, etc.). I still don't have a good tie down system installed yet. I might get a minor squeak here and there but nothing like that when empty...lol.
Have you had to add to add any additional suspension components due to the angles the new equipment has caused? You mentioned earlier in your posts about adding different UCA, why and which are you leaning towards?

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Have you had to add to add any additional suspension components due to the angles the new equipment has caused? You mentioned earlier in your posts about adding different UCA, why and which are you leaning towards.

No, not at all. The Fabtech supplied control arms are fine for the most part as they are a bit more stout over the factory arms; they did get the front geometry almost near factory but definitely could be closer if they were adjustable. They do provide for more down travel but I feel they are still not as robust as I like. I am trending towards the ICON tubular UCAs with their Delta Joints which afford more travel at increased angles while also built such as to prevent the ball joints from binding or pulling. I ran those previously and they performed very well with no drama off-road or when driven daily. I also ran SPCs and Total Chaos with great success other than they needed constant greasing as they got too noisy for daily driving.

Edit:: spelling correction

Last edited:

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
My work and travel schedule has been insane for the past few months so I have not been able to really focus on getting anything done with my current build. However, I did manage to take a day off a couple of weeks back and took the Rebel out for a quick desert romp. In turn, I manage to make an additional body modification...lol.

Users who are viewing this thread