5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deliver to a Different Dealership?

Grouper

Reaction score
My neighbor bought a factory ordered Corvette from a high volume dealership in the northeast. He paid a nominal fee to have the vehicle delivered directly from the factory to a local dealership in FL.

Does FCA have a similar program?

Last edited:

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Well, my local dealer didn't have a truck with the exact specs that I was looking for in stock but I found one myself at a different dealer in another province that I wanted. My dealer got that truck transported here and I bought it from them. I didn't have to pay anything extra. I really don't know how it works behind the scenes but it seemed like my dealer bought the truck from the other dealer and then sold it to me. Hopefully someone else can chime in and shed some light on what actually happens.

Grouper

Reaction score
Well, my local dealer didn't have a truck with the exact specs that I was looking for in stock but I found one myself at a different dealer in another province that I wanted. My dealer got that truck transported here and I bought it from them.

Yes, that's basically a dealer transfer, where you're ultimately purchasing the vehicle from the dealer that receives the transfer.

I'm wondering about a factory ordered vehicle and whether it can be delivered, for a fee, from the factory to a dealership other than the dealership that sold the vehicle.

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the dealer will do a trade, sure. If you so much as mention that truck to the other dealer, they likely won't transfer it.

Transfers are not free. They are favors between dealers. Usually but not always they are driven from dealer to dealer as well. It is very rare to get a dealer trade cross country or more than a few hundred miles away. especially if it crosses market and region boundaries.

You can always buy a car completely by phone and fedex paperwork and have a transporter pick up the car and deliver it to you. The cost varies, but it's usually $500-$1000 depending on how far you are shipping it.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My neighbor bought a factory ordered Corvette from a high volume dealership in the northeast. He paid a nominal fee to have the vehicle delivered to a local dealership in FL.

Does FCA have a similar program?
There are some dealerships that do it for free. Two buddies of mine in a small town in AZ ordered from a dealership in Las Vegas and they shipped it to AZ at no charge. Maybe distance plays a factor though...worth asking them for sure.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If the dealer will do a trade, sure. If you so much as mention that truck to the other dealer, they likely won't transfer it.

Transfers are not free. They are favors between dealers. Usually but not always they are driven from dealer to dealer as well. It is very rare to get a dealer trade cross country or more than a few hundred miles away. especially if it crosses market and region boundaries.

You can always buy a car completely by phone and fedex paperwork and have a transporter pick up the car and deliver it to you. The cost varies, but it's usually $500-$1000 depending on how far you are shipping it.
There are some dealerships that do it for free. Two buddies of mine in a small town in AZ ordered from a dealership in Las Vegas and they shipped it to AZ at no charge. Maybe distance plays a factor though...worth asking them for sure.
You guys are talking about trucks that are already on the lot. It's actually how we bought both of the trucks we own now. But the OP is asking about ordering from one dealership, and having it delivered to another. I would think that's something the dealerships would have to work out between themselves. But I really don't know (obviously). My suggestion to you Grouper, is to contact the dealerships and see what they can do for you.

Grouper

Reaction score
You guys are talking about trucks that are already on the lot. It's actually how we bought both of the trucks we own now. But the OP is asking about ordering from one dealership, and having it delivered to another. I would think that's something the dealerships would have to work out between themselves. But I really don't know (obviously). My suggestion to you Grouper, is to contact the dealerships and see what they can do for you.
Correct. I asked the dealer I'm likely to order from if they'd arrange for factory delivery to another dealership. They said they will not.

Oh well, it's just a day out of my life to fly-and-drive. No big deal. The flight will be no cost as I'm in the industry.

My neighbor said it was $500 to have his Corvette shipped from the factory to a local dealership where he signed final paperwork and took delivery.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Yes, that's basically a dealer transfer, where you're ultimately purchasing the vehicle from the dealer that receives the transfer.

I'm wondering about a factory ordered vehicle and whether it can be delivered, for a fee, from the factory to a dealership other than the dealership that sold the vehicle.

Yes, my apologies I misunderstood what you were asking. I agree with Mike I would ask the dealerships involved.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct. I asked the dealer I'm likely to order from if they'd arrange for factory delivery to another dealership. They said they will not.

Oh well, it's just a day out of my life to fly-and-drive. No big deal. The flight will be no cost as I'm in the industry.

My neighbor said it's was $500 to have his Corvette shipped from the factory to a local dealership where he signed final paperwork and took delivery.
Why not order directly from RAM and then have it delivered to you?? Same concept, right?

Grouper

Reaction score
Why not order directly from RAM and then have it delivered to you?? Same concept, right?
I know it's never smart to assume but I'm assuming the price I was quoted (from Koons) is substantially better than purchasing directly from Ram.

Is there a thread on the forum discussing Ram direct pricing?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know it's never smart to assume but I'm assuming the price I was quoted (from Koons) is substantially better than purchasing directly from Ram.

Is there a thread on the forum discussing Ram direct pricing?
There is a thread that discusses price reduced from manufacturer. However...most dealer pricing is applied at the dealership (discounts, etc) no matter what...you'll always get a slightly lower price at the dealership, regardless of if you order directly from RAM or not. If you build your own on the website (let's say $45k) by the time you pick it up and go to pay for it...most dealership discounts get applied at that point. So you'll never actually pay the quoted price that you see on the RAM website...it'll be more like $40-42k instead of the $45. (That's just an example). This is from my experience and research.

tjsadler

Reaction score
Not to mention that ‘ordering directly from Ram’ is not a thing. Manufacturers don’t sell direct. Except perhaps Tesla but most states prohibit that by law.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to mention that ‘ordering directly from Ram’ is not a thing. Manufacturers don’t sell direct. Except perhaps Tesla but most states prohibit that by law.
You can put in a build with Ram and usually they can ship to whatever dealership you want...at least they used to

tjsadler

Reaction score
Are you in Canada? That’s definitely not something that happens in the USA. The archaic laws and dealer agreements prevent it.

Grouper

Reaction score
There is a link that says "Online Shopping Driveway Delivery." I haven't really paid any attention to it but it appears this is a process for purchasing an in-stock vehicle from a local dealer. I'm assuming this option was added post-Covid.

As tjsadler wrote, I don't think it's possible to order a factory built vehicle directly through the Ram online.

Last edited:

tjsadler

Reaction score
There is a link that says "Online Shopping Driveway Delivery." I haven't paid any attention to it until but it appears this is a process for purchasing an in-stock vehicle from a local dealer. I'm assuming this option was added post-Covid.

As tjsadler wrote, I don't think it's possible to order a factory built vehicle directly through the Ram online.

I hadn't seen that before. It seems to primarily be a way to pay full MRSP to have a dealer deliver a car to you. That's a great deal for the dealer, for you, not so much! (Unless you're extremely high risk for Covid and also HAVE to have a new car right now)

Users who are viewing this thread