5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delayed running board retracting.

Idaho970

Reaction score
Hello All! Attached is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that may address the vehicle concerns you are experiencing. The Ram Cares team recommends scheduling an appointment with your dealer to have a technician verify the details of this TSB to determine if it is applicable to your vehicle. Also, for those who would like additional assistance or support throughout your dealer appointment feel free to message our team! We would love to help.

Hannah
Ram Cares

View attachment 94474
Having the same issues here.

@RamCares is there a solution for that TSB?

redneck

Reaction score
Just about ripped my passenger side step off pulling in to the garage wife got out closed door step didn't go in and I went to pull in and she is yelling stop the step is out. It took 20-30 seconds to retract other times 1-2 seconds

Tagaru

Reaction score
Update: the dealership that I went to got the TSB number from me and acknowledged it's existence.
The dealership recommended fix is to replace the motor of the passenger side side-step. However, they did not confirm if that is the fix recommended in the TSB. They confirmed that they have ordered the replacement motor. And they quoted a wait time of few weeks to month.
@RamCares any comments on this ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Tagaru

Reaction score
This problem has really gotten annoying... there shouldn't be quality problems such as these
we didn't pay the bucks for such shoddiness. This could potentially be a safety problem too.

bgasper

Reaction score
Update: the dealership that I went to got the TSB number from me and acknowledged it's existence.
The dealership recommended fix is to replace the motor of the passenger side side-step. However, they did not confirm if that is the fix recommended in the TSB. They confirmed that they have ordered the replacement motor. And they quoted a wait time of few weeks to month.
@RamCares any comments on this ?

@RamCares Just bumping this, hoping for a response.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the TSB is supposed to do but I have noticed the same problem. As someone previously mentioned, I'm 99% sure this issue has to do with opening your door, sitting down, shutting your door, and turning on your vehicle prior to the running boards retracting. The power interrupt is causing this. Yes still an annoying problem but if you just wait a few seconds before turning your vehicle on, that should eliminate the problem.

Tagaru

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the TSB is supposed to do but I have noticed the same problem. As someone previously mentioned, I'm 99% sure this issue has to do with opening your door, sitting down, shutting your door, and turning on your vehicle prior to the running boards retracting. The power interrupt is causing this. Yes still an annoying problem but if you just wait a few seconds before turning your vehicle on, that should eliminate the problem.
in my case it is the passenger side side-step that won't retract when people get in or out of the truck. has happened when the ignition has been on and off. no clear pattern here.

HeavyMetalHauler

Reaction score
in my case it is the passenger side side-step that won't retract when people get in or out of the truck. has happened when the ignition has been on and off. no clear pattern here.

Same problem on my end.

Tagaru

Reaction score
Update: got the side-step motor replaced by the dealership. It's been 24hrs. So far, it has been behaving good.
Ram Cares was helpful in expediting the part shipment to the dealership.

ALT62

Reaction score
It’s been a while since the last post. I have a ‘21 Limited with the same problem, however, I’ve been able to replicate it repeatedly. Klicht87 is right that the step (driver’s side in my case) won‘t retract on its own if you start the vehicle just prior to the time the board is suppose to retract. What’s interesting is that I couldn’t repeat it on the passenger side. I’ll ask the dealer about it when I get my oil changed.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
The delay on our running boards is 5 seconds from when the door closes. The delay on the Ford's is 2 seconds. 5 seconds is just enough time to get in and start the truck, which interrupts the retracting of the running board. I never had this issue in my Ford since the boards were up by the time I got in and started the truck. I wish there was a way to change the timing on the steps.

Zebber

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my running boards on the pass side, sometimes they will start to go up then stop and go back down, sometimes they start to go down and then go back up, if i open and shut the door several times they will finally work right. I have cleaned them thinking they might have a rock or something caught in them but it seems to not make a difference. Haven't been to the dealer yet , been really busy running back and forth to the hospital because the wife is sick.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my running boards on the pass side, sometimes they will start to go up then stop and go back down, sometimes they start to go down and then go back up, if i open and shut the door several times they will finally work right. I have cleaned them thinking they might have a rock or something caught in them but it seems to not make a difference. Haven't been to the dealer yet , been really busy running back and forth to the hospital because the wife is sick.
When I had my Ford, they said to spray some lithium grease on them from time to time. That may help. It sounds like they are binding.

Users who are viewing this thread