5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deionized Water Car Wash System

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does anyone on the forum use a Deionized washing system when rinsing their vehicles? I am looking at the following but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It appears to be a far better choice than the more common "Spotless" system you can find on Amazon which is a cartridge based system and only lasts about 300 gallons.

I am looking at either the Pro 100 or Pro 50. Looks to be a far better unit and can handle 2000 - 4000 gallons of rinse before the resin needs to be replaced. Anyone have a unit they are very happy with? It will be awesome to rinse off the car and let it air dry with ZERO spots :p

AndreiV

Reaction score
Isn't easier and price comparable to just install whole house water filtration system and water softner and wash car with soft water? This my DIY $800 WH tripple filtration and water softner system also used for car wash.

Attachments

• 0527190835.jpg
    0527190835.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 133

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a commercial grade water softener and water softeners do not stop water spotting. Only deionized water will prevent spotting.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It is a salt-based system. Living in FL, you have to have a water softener since the water is super hard.

Saints

Reaction score
Does anyone on the forum use a Deionized washing system when rinsing their vehicles? I am looking at the following but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It appears to be a far better choice than the more common "Spotless" system you can find on Amazon which is a cartridge based system and only lasts about 300 gallons.

I am looking at either the Pro 100 or Pro 50. Looks to be a far better unit and can handle 2000 - 4000 gallons of rinse before the resin needs to be replaced. Anyone have a unit they are very happy with? It will be awesome to rinse off the car and let it air dry with ZERO spots :p
I just got the pro 100, but I haven’t had a chance to use it yet. If you decide to order have some patience as it took about a month for me to get it and their communication is basically zero.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just got the pro 100, but I haven’t had a chance to use it yet. If you decide to order have some patience as it took about a month for me to get it and their communication is basically zero.
Thanks. I have tried calling them 3 times, left messages and crickets. My concern is if I buy it, and have an issue, will I get anyone to help me???

Last edited:

AndreiV

Reaction score
It is a salt-based system. Living in FL, you have to have a water softener since the water is super hard.
Idk, salt-base water softner works to my tasting. I have 200 ppm hardness from local water supply. Sure enough there is still some soap-water spots left after washing with soft water due to 60 psi high pressure limit set on water regulator but they all easily removed with microfiber towel.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine does the same and easily removed with a towel but I like the thought of not having to dry the car at all and having it dry spot free. My hardness is running closer to 300. Found this one that I may give a try.

Saints

Reaction score
Thanks. I have tried calling them 3 times, left messages and crickets. My concern is if I buy it, and have an issue, will I get anyone to help me???
I would doubt it. It is a pretty simple system so really what you need are the parts. It does seem well made and pretty stout. Mine fell over face first and nothing broke and it’s pretty heavy. It shipped out of Florida so you may get it a lot faster. There are videos showing how to easily replace the stuff inside of it and I have read that a lot of people that ordered had the same issue of communication, but they all did get their products. I almost went with the griots as it looks like basically the same thing, but it comes with a lot less media, doesn’t come with the meter, funnel and I’ve read that people even had to go buy the hose connections from the hardware store.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Impressive

$400 is the one I would/might select. I wash my cars by hand only and this would save a lot of rushing and missed sports. The SW sun drys the cars so quickly even at a section at a time is a rush. This would be excellent. Thanks for posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obiwanknope

Reaction score
I can't speak to using it to wash my truck...but I do use DI and RO water every day for my window cleaning business. The biggest factor for how long the resin inside any DI system will last is the TDS of the water you're using. And that varies greatly depending on location, well vs city water, if it's already getting filtered by your house, etc.. You can get a cheap handheld TDS meter to check. If it's under 200 TDS, it should last quite a while, depending on it's size. But as you start climbing, it drastically reduces the life of the resin. I've destroyed 1/3 cu ft of new resin in less than an hour when I was using water that measured 1200+TDS. I highly recommend you check your water before dropping $500 on a DI system. You may find yourself buying a ton of resin(~$200 cu/ft) if your water is bad.

MCPT1

Reaction score
I've used the deionizer from Griots garage with good success ,

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can't speak to using it to wash my truck...but I do use DI and RO water every day for my window cleaning business. The biggest factor for how long the resin inside any DI system will last is the TDS of the water you're using. And that varies greatly depending on location, well vs city water, if it's already getting filtered by your house, etc.. You can get a cheap handheld TDS meter to check. If it's under 200 TDS, it should last quite a while, depending on it's size. But as you start climbing, it drastically reduces the life of the resin. I've destroyed 1/3 cu ft of new resin in less than an hour when I was using water that measured 1200+TDS. I highly recommend you check your water before dropping $500 on a DI system. You may find yourself buying a ton of resin(~$200 cu/ft) if your water is bad.
I have a commercial grade softener at my home here in FL since a water softener is a "requirement". My TDS levels run around 350ppm so I am well aware of the connection between TDS and resin usage. You also need to recognize that you ONLY use this water to RINSE and not WASH your vehicle so water usage is minimal when using the DI.

machz

Reaction score
I have a crspotless simple chuck system. It's a bit pricey but I can wash my truck normally then flip the valve to rinse using the crspotless in direct sun and I never have to dry. My water isn't too bad here in NH but I do have really high IRON.

obiwanknope

Reaction score
I have a commercial grade softener at my home here in FL since a water softener is a "requirement". My TDS levels run around 350ppm so I am well aware of the connection between TDS and resin usage. You also need to recognize that you ONLY use this water to RINSE and not WASH your vehicle so water usage is minimal when using the DI.

Good point! I suppose that's not that much water. I mostly wanted to point out that how many gallons a system claims it can de-ionize is often not accurate and depends on your water.

football76

Reaction score
If you really want to geek out about home washing and detailing then I'll just leave this here.... www.obsessedgarage.com

Also browse his (Matt Moreman) videos on YouTube. His washbay is incredible. Turned a hobby into a full fledged business by harnessing his OCD to his advantage and applying it to detailing.

Reactions: Jtr

Cummins3

Reaction score
Thinking of doing a system at my house any more reviews or testimonials.? Any suggestions on good videos and a good system??

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Griots garage portable water deionizer and am very happy with it. I'm on well water and have several filters including a water softener but my TDS is still around 250ppm. With the deionizer it's about 0-4PPM and I get spot free rinses

Users who are viewing this thread