5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF on E with countdown

dsw1000

Reaction score
Guys haven't found any resolution for this so posting here. I have a 2020 ED, bought from a dealer when DEF gauge showed full. Went to do my first DEF fillup when the needle got just below the beginning of the red. Put 5 gallons in at the pump. Needle never moved back up to full and now I am getting the countdown 300 miles until it will not start if I don't put DEF in. It has DEF in it. Just don't want to keep going if it is going to prevent me from starting. Any advise other than take it in to the dealer? Anything someone has used to successfully fix this?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
about 300 miles.
Crazy question but I’m a little slow today. You state it is a 2020 and this is your first DEF fill up. You also indicate you added DEF 300 miles ago. How much did you put in then or is it a relatively new 2020 with 300 miles on it?

dsw1000

Reaction score
Crazy question but I’m a little slow today. You state it is a 2020 and this is your first DEF fill up. You also indicate you added DEF 300 miles ago. How much did you put in then or is it a relatively new 2020 with 300 miles on it?
Sorry, it is new to me, so my personal first DEF fill up. Had a previous owner, I drove approx 3000miles out of the DEF that was in there, and put in 5 gallons.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As Sascwatch indicated, the DEF gauges are extremely slow to rise. Mine typically takes 30 to 40 miles to see it come up to where it is actually filled. I typically run to a major truck stop 30 miles from here (so I get the fresh stuff) and by the time I get home it is registering just under full. I can’t say that is your issue but it takes time for the gauge to register (and did in my 2015 and 2016 Ecodiesels too).

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I figured it could take a while just not this long. 300 miles and several starts over a couple days seems excessive.
It does, if it doesn’t recognize the correct level in the next short while I’d be making a dealer appointment before you’re left stranded. If you do run out of miles on the def system don’t shut off the truck if you can get it to a dealer, or else you’ll need a flat bed.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
The float could be stuck. It happens pretty easily on washer reservoirs and brake master cylinders; I doubt they made the DEF float as sophisticated as the float in the fuel tank. Try driving on a rough road, or over a bunch of speed bumps and train tracks and see if the sloshing frees it up. It won't cost you anything but a little fuel to try, and may save you from the aggravation of a dealer visit.

LouNY

Reaction score
I don't know about this latest generation truck but on my 2015 there was a work around for the will not start.
It is in this attached pdf it works good I messed with the DEF system on my 2015 one day because it was slow responding,
I drained the tank put in a few gallons of de-ionized water and drove it to desolve any crystals or build up in the tank.
I got some def quality messages and drained and refilled the tank and it refused to clear the error messages and started the 200 mile count down on me.
I was leaving on a trip the next day to NC I reached the shutdown point before I left and had to use the bypass method to start the truck,
about halfway to NC everything cleared out rest and was all back to normal. I did the bypass start about 5-6 times, when traveling I stop frequently for rest room breaks one of the issues of getting older.

Attachments

• Emergency Start REVISED.pdf
    196.3 KB · Views: 35

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine originally stuck on my first fill. Had excessive crystallization around the fill port. I also assumed it was in the tank. I put in about a quart of DI water, but you could use distilled. I let that slosh a bit and I ran a few miles up and down my bumpy dirt road. It did the trick and then I filled up with 2 jugs of def and didn't have to worry for thousands of miles.

AFAIK its not a float its a siphon tube that reads pressure. Make sure your fill port is tight.

dsw1000

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good advice. I tried a refill on the way home today. It hardly took any and i could hear it coming up the fill neck. Checked the cap, good and tight and not crystalized. Got home and unhooked the battery for an hour. No change. Appointment to get checked out Thursday so I may try some more things you have mentioned tomorrow.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good advice. I tried a refill on the way home today. It hardly took any and i could hear it coming up the fill neck. Checked the cap, good and tight and not crystalized. Got home and unhooked the battery for an hour. No change. Appointment to get checked out Thursday so I may try some more things you have mentioned tomorrow.
Hi dsw1000,
If you'd like any additional assistance alongside your dealer, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Ram Cares

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
My 2020 did the same thing when I used the pump to fill the def, It took it SIX days to finally hit full and yes I was driving while it was near empty and the message kept saying the same thing yours did. I called the dealer but all they said was they had to reset it. I just don't use the pump anymore, I just stick with the 2.5 gal jugs.

Users who are viewing this thread