5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF gauge stuck. 2020 ram 1500 ORG.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Today I was on my second leg of a trip from Phoenix Az to BFE Nebraska. I had to stop maybe 150 miles from my motel to get some diesel and while I was there I used the big boy diesel pumps because these ones had the DEF pump next to the diesel.

So after prepaying for both I filled the diesel first then the DEF, the DEF stopped right at 4.6 gallons, the gauge read about 3/8 of a tank I never cross contaminated either and no spillage etc.
So I jumped in the truck and headed out, and from that point till now the DEF gauge has not moved from 3/8 of a tank. So I went to Oreillys thinking the pump didn't really pump anything in and bought a one gallon jug of peak DEF with a 2020 date code, I got maybe half gallon in before it overfilled so I stopped, I then checked the gauge and its still at 3/8 of a tank.

Anybody have any ideas why if wont show full?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know but mine has been sitting at 3/4 tank for so long (weeks) that I'm starting to wonder about it also.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Does anybody know what these ram use to meter the level of the DEF? Some on the net say other manufacturers dont use a typical gas gauge style swing arm level sender because the DEF eats certain metals.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My gauge hasn't moved. I can read the % with torque pro. Anyone else try that? My gauge shows a bit over a 1/4 tank. Torque pro says 46%

I also have a fair bit of crystallization around the fill port I cleaned. I can also see Crystals in the neck. I'm considering putting in some distilled water or DI water to dilute it and dissolve the Crystals. Then top off the def tank.

I bought proper caps with a gasket to seal both def and diesel. As dusty as my road is, a capless diesel fill port is the dumbest idea.

Way too much half *** engineering on this truck.

/am an engineer

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
My gauge hasn't moved. I can read the % with torque pro. Anyone else try that? My gauge shows a bit over a 1/4 tank. Torque pro says 46%

I also have a fair bit of crystallization around the fill port I cleaned. I can also see Crystals in the neck. I'm considering putting in some distilled water or DI water to dilute it and dissolve the Crystals. Then top off the def tank.

I bought proper caps with a gasket to seal both def and diesel. As dusty as my road is, a capless diesel fill port is the dumbest idea.

Way too much half *** engineering on this truck.

/am an engineer
Do you think the crystallization has something do with why it will not read correctly?
Also how much Distilled water would we have to put in to eliminate the crystals?
I bought the green plastic cap for mine, where did you get your caps from i also will need to keep the dust out.

I think I will try the torque pro id like to see how much DEF fluid is actually in the tank.
One thing I was thinking was the level wont move till the level actually drops below what the gauge is reading currently, that may be wishful thinking but just a idea I had about it.
I know when I start the truck each gauge does it's sweep so I assume the gauge itself is fine.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Called the dealer today, apparently the def level sender uses air gap to measure fluid level and when full it reads full till the meter senses air and adjusts from there.
He told me they would have to reset the def system to read whats in the tank which I asked if pulling the ground from the battery would do the same thing, he had no idea on that but had to reset it in the computer.
I got home tonight and unhooked the negative battery for 30 mins and it still reads the same level, so I guess I'll have to set up an appointment for them to reset the def system

He also mentioned it would take 45 mins to do and its covered and that they already had to reset the def on these trucks 3-4 times already.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Called the dealer today, apparently the def level sender uses air gap to measure fluid level and when full it reads full till the meter senses air and adjusts from there.
He told me they would have to reset the def system to read whats in the tank which I asked if pulling the ground from the battery would do the same thing, he had no idea on that but had to reset it in the computer.
I got home tonight and unhooked the negative battery for 30 mins and it still reads the same level, so I guess I'll have to set up an appointment for them to reset the def system

He also mentioned it would take 45 mins to do and its covered and that they already had to reset the def on these trucks 3-4 times already.

Hi @GREG11BHOR2020 - Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via PM if you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Hi @GREG11BHOR2020 - Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via PM if you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares
Thank you!
I'm still on a small job here in nebraska so either when I finish or head home I plan on setting up a appointment with somebody to check into this, I really hope this wont be an ongoing issue with my truck its kind of annoying atm.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you!
I'm still on a small job here in nebraska so either when I finish or head home I plan on setting up a appointment with somebody to check into this, I really hope this wont be an ongoing issue with my truck its kind of annoying atm.

Thank you for taking the time to follow up with me, I completely understand your sentiments. Please be sure to follow up to let us know when you have a chance to get something scheduled so that we can escalate a case on your behalf for further support through that process.

Mark
RamCares

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Six days and 460+ miles later my DEF gauge finally registered full today not even sure why it took that long but next time I'll probably wait till it's close to empty to fill it and see if that makes a difference.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put 1 quart of DI water in mine to dissolve the crystallization and then added a box of def. My gauge stayed below 1/4. I took it for a rough ride dirt road after rain with pothole and all and my gauge jumped to over 3/4.

And i also got a sidewall puncture in a tire. But they are insured so get a new one free monday and i was able to plug it temporarily.

I'll take it over going to the dealership any day.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So my question is.... is the warning system separate from the gauge? As in when it gets very low, will the truck know and toss you the warning or will simply allow the system to run dry and create larger issues?

Seems like they are different since someone mentioned reading the percentage off the pcm, hopefully they are.

My gauge seems to be slowly moving down, I think I’m going to add some soon and see what happens. I’d like to nip this in the bud ASAP if it’s an issue.

Another pro for only driving in Mexico....

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Warning is from the dpf and emissions when it cannot clean itself after reaching 100% soot capacity. Its independent. If the def is low and it thinks that's why it can't regenerate then you get the add def warning. If it regens it doesn't care.

I tried to make a pisspoor pun but its early. Since def is urea aka concentrated pee.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Mine was just slighty more than half today so I went ahead a tossed in the 2.5 gallon jug I had in the bed for the last month and now its sitting just under full, this time however the needle registered within a few seconds after starting the truck, so that's much better than last time.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I added 5 gallons to my truck, while the gauge was sitting at the start of The red zone, and immediately went up to 100% full. Seems to be working

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I wonder if the pump from the station has something to do with why def gauge screwed up last time?
This time i used the 2.5 gal jug and it registered just fine, I wonder if the pumps fill to fast for the sensor in the tank to register quickly.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if the pump from the station has something to do with why def gauge screwed up last time?
This time i used the 2.5 gal jug and it registered just fine, I wonder if the pumps fill to fast for the sensor in the tank to register quickly.

I’ve never used them and likely never will, seems like a good way to get trash in the system. But could be

Users who are viewing this thread