5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF gauge problems

BigD

Reaction score
Gosh these diesels sound about as crappy as the last generation. Any mpg savings is negated by all the extra cost of maintaining these things plus the extra cost of the diesel compared to unleaded. Plus they cost way more up front. I'll stick with the tried & true Hemi. Fyi here in America rentals are in short supply also & your lucky to get a sub-compact car if anything at all. It's just how it is right now. The times we are living in.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gosh these diesels sound about as crappy as the last generation. Any mpg savings is negated by all the extra cost of maintaining these things plus the extra cost of the diesel compared to unleaded. Plus they cost way more up front. I'll stick with the tried & true Hemi. Fyi here in America rentals are in short supply also & your lucky to get a sub-compact car if anything at all. It's just how it is right now. The times we are living in.
Yep it’s a good time to be putting around in a compact car, only issue is open water season is about to start here and I can’t tow my boat!

I know times are tough in terms of manufacturing, but the area I live in produces half of the parts for the big 3 and other automotive manufacturers, off road vehicles and more. Every factory I have friends working in are working overtime to keep up with the demand yet things like this still happen.

I’m not 100% sure but I think our fuel tanks and maybe even the def tank I need are made by a company called inergy automotive, they have a factory only 25 minutes away from me. Fca’s Canada head quarters and the assembly plant for their mini vans and one day their electric vehicles is less than an hour away.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What’s your listening to is the .01 percent of all the ecodiesels on the road. People generally don’t post in forums to wax poetic about how something is great and they’ve never had a problem.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve heard of many def issues with these trucks yet, while I’m sure I’m not the first I know I won’t be the last. This is my first drivetrain problem, hopefully my last.

The emission systems forced onto diesel vehicles by our governments have caused many issues to all makes and models, cars, trucks both light and heavy duty are affected. This is why many people choose to delete them from their vehicles once the warranty is up.

At the insane cost of $2850 for just this one part it would add up really fast.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve heard of many def issues with these trucks yet, while I’m sure I’m not the first I know I won’t be the last. This is my first drivetrain problem, hopefully my last.

The emission systems forced onto diesel vehicles by our governments have caused many issues to all makes and models, cars, trucks both light and heavy duty are affected. This is why many people choose to delete them from their vehicles once the warranty is up.

The tune is cheaper.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tune is cheaper.
Sure is, but I’m covered under extended warranty. For some stupid reason the dpf is covered under the exhaust 8 year warranty but the def system isn’t. In Canada the standard warranty only goes to 60000km and power train to 100000km. I’m getting close to 65000 now.

Last edited:

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I hope you get your parts and truck asap, and you’re absolutely right about not being able to get a rental truck to tow.
I really hate the situation I am in with the 0% financing for 84 months, the warranty ends after 5 years or 100,000 km, my truck has close to 44,000 km in 20 months of ownership, I would hate to have to spend thousands of dollars for repair on top of the high monthly payments.
I never had major issues with any of my previous 10 FCA vehicles and a few I had for up to 13 years.
Off topic, I am getting close my 3rd scheduled oil change, my truck’s performance is impressive, efficient and has been reliable so far, I am using Shell Rotella T6 and I know it is not FCA recommended oil but my dealer has been using it for all diesels. Have you had your oil analysis done lately, I am curious to see if the metal numbers are getting better, I know that you are using the recommended oil. What is your odometer reading now and how many oil changes have you had?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have yet to send in my last couple of samples, things have been a little crazy having two places so far apart. I have now done 7 oil changes with pennzoil euro 5w40 in just under 65000km. 3 fuel filter changes have been done aswell.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the call today that the tank is on its way. Should be here tomorrow or Monday. My dealer only has one diesel tech, so it probably won’t be done until Monday even if it comes in tomorrow.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is false. The 50% better fuel economy easily outweighs the slightly higher cost to maintain them. Only recently in my area did diesel go higher than regular, for most of my ownership diesel has been at par/cheaper than gas.

I went from a 2019 Hemi to a 2020 ecodiesel and i love it. 60,000km on it so far and no issues. From 17.5mpg to 28mpg.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is false. The 50% better fuel economy easily outweighs the slightly higher cost to maintain them. Only recently in my area did diesel go higher than regular, for most of my ownership diesel has been at par/cheaper than gas.

I went from a 2019 Hemi to a 2020 ecodiesel and i love it. 60,000km on it so far and no issues. From 17.5mpg to 28mpg.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
I saw the same, up until late fall diesel was cheaper than gasoline. Add the improved fuel economy into the equation and you’ll save some money for sure.

The added cost of def, fuel filters and oil/oil filters adds up but I am still saving money. Diesel should go back down after winter as we will see it switch back to summer blends.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New tank was installed today 68364204AB and tank was filled (about 3/4) under warranty. Gauge is working again, I will be topping up the tank before my approx 4000km trip at the beginning of May. Not sure what the changes were, hard to see with the skid plate back on.

gene

Reaction score
Here's another twist. I got the dreaded mile notice or see dealer. Took truck in and originally was told I needed software updates and a new def pump. By the way, the def system is part of the emissions so almost everything should be covered under 80k miles. Anyway, 30 minutes later I get a call stating that a wire was pinched and it blew a fuse. No updates, no new pump and no def cleaning. All is well.

Users who are viewing this thread