5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deceptive trade practices: MFT and Bed Step

sagthedog

Reaction score
I ordered my fully loaded Ram 1500 Limited in early 2020, waited months for delivery due to COVID shutdowns, and when I finally received it, the bed step was missing. I was told that there was a safety issue and that the step had to be removed from all trucks with the MFT (multi function tailgate). I was assured that a new step would be installed as soon as a replacement was available. Fast forward over a year. After breaking my back getting in and out of the bed every time I need access, and contacting the dealership over and over for status of the bed step, I was told that the replacement for my truck was finally approved by Ram. Yet it still took multiple visits to the dealership, days of wasted time, until they finally had the "right" part. I was unavailable to take the truck in to the dealership but didn't want to miss the opportunity (in case it took another 6 months to get this resolved), so I let my wife take the truck in for me. When I finally saw the truck, I noticed that they installed the wrong bed step!!! They installed the side mount that was specifically removed from the truck in the first instance. Now my dealership is telling me they have never seen the center mount step and the side mount is the one I'm supposed to have.

Any advice from the forum? Who should I reach out to?

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of the dealership and Ram. Thinking of trading it in for an F-150. I really love the MFT and will miss it, but it's just not worth dealing with all the false promises and runaround.
af7bacd825f8f675e9f7901f8ab092a2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't speak to the availability of the center step, but those of us that ordered trucks in 2018 were given a similar runaround. At the time of order, the bed step was to be included with certain packages—it was shown in marketing brochures and option lists—with the caveat that it would be a "late availability" item. The same thing happened with the bed extender pegs, but that's a conversation for another thread.

What actually happened is that the early 5th-gen trucks (delivered in late 2018) didn't include said bed step, and we had to source them from third-party online dealers. And once they finally did become available, they were not retrofitted to early trucks. Then the new bed steps were recalled and re-engineered, and the new part isn't quite as sturdy as the original.

What does all of this mean? Ram got a little bit ahead of themselves and advertised a large number of accessories, many of which came to market late or haven't even been released.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2021 Limited has the MFT and center step. I don't have a pic of it but I can take one when I get home from work if it will help. Your dealership is wrong and just isn't being cooperative. There's a lot of information out there about this step if they would put in a little effort to look.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would 100% check your build sheet. If it’s listed, demand that you get it installed.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ordered my fully loaded Ram 1500 Limited in early 2020, waited months for delivery due to COVID shutdowns, and when I finally received it, the bed step was missing. I was told that there was a safety issue and that the step had to be removed from all trucks with the MFT (multi function tailgate). I was assured that a new step would be installed as soon as a replacement was available. Fast forward over a year. After breaking my back getting in and out of the bed every time I need access, and contacting the dealership over and over for status of the bed step, I was told that the replacement for my truck was finally approved by Ram. Yet it still took multiple visits to the dealership, days of wasted time, until they finally had the "right" part. I was unavailable to take the truck in to the dealership but didn't want to miss the opportunity (in case it took another 6 months to get this resolved), so I let my wife take the truck in for me. When I finally saw the truck, I noticed that they installed the wrong bed step!!! They installed the side mount that was specifically removed from the truck in the first instance. Now my dealership is telling me they have never seen the center mount step and the side mount is the one I'm supposed to have.

Any advice from the forum? Who should I reach out to?

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of the dealership and Ram. Thinking of trading it in for an F-150. I really love the MFT and will miss it, but it's just not worth dealing with all the false promises and runaround.
af7bacd825f8f675e9f7901f8ab092a2.jpg

If you do, remove the bed step and PM me for the shipping address

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's simple to me. How are you suppose to use that step with the MFT? You can't. If you could, you're acrobatic enough to not need it in the first place. I would send a message on here to @RamCares

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's simple to me. How are you suppose to use that step with the MFT? You can't. If you could, you're acrobatic enough to not need it in the first place. I would send a message on here to @RamCares
I would definitely get the right step mounted but you can open the MFT like a traditional tailgate...so it is usable for the time being.

sagthedog

Reaction score
I can't imagine anyone trading in a perfectly good truck because of a mix up with a bed step.
The truck has lots of fun bells and whistles, but the service is so bad that it's unbearable. I purchase new vehicles more frequently because I don't have time to deal with frequent visits to the dealer. This is my first Ram and I've spent more time trying to fix it in one year than I did in 5 years with my last truck.

sagthedog

Reaction score
I would definitely get the right step mounted but you can open the MFT like a traditional tailgate...so it is usable for the time being.
That's what my dealer said. He said it works like the base tailgate trucks so it's out of his hands.

bud007

Reaction score
Any dealer that acts like they are clueless to ANY options that are offered in these trucks is an absolute idiot and liar .... they SELL RAM TRUCKS for a LIVING and they dont even know their own product ...... give me a break. Mine came with the BUG( bed utility group for those that dont know ) MFT and the CENTER bed step.
I am really sorry that you have had to go through this for something you PAID for
good luck and i hope you get it taken care of .
just irritates me reading things like this ...... it just comes down to pure laziness and not doing one's job :mad: its that simple
rant over

sagthedog

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I've sent them a message.

Users who are viewing this thread