5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Death of the V8 & birth of a.... Inline 6?

RandyMarionCDJR

King of Price
Reaction score
I have seen so much about this upcoming engine. My main wonder isn't will it be a good motor, and make for a long lasting vehicle. I just want to know, how is the community going to receive/is receiving the death of the v8? What do you think about the future of CDJR products with this being the new "big dog" in town so to speak?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of eliminating a V8 option in a full size truck. If that really happens I likely bought my last brand brand new RAM. Either I’ll drive my new one into the ground or buy a low mileage used Hemi.

RandyMarionCDJR

King of Price
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of eliminating a V8 option in a full size truck. If that really happens I likely bought my last brand brand new RAM. Either I’ll drive my new one into the ground or buy a low mileage used Hemi.
I have not seen a single good opinion on this happening. Its strange to me Ram is going this route just because of their current lineup & how they've been running things for so and not to mention, with incredible success! They're on the ups and ups with their current formula but now seem to want to completely change directions. Only time will tell us how this is going to go down I guess.

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score

Where will you go next? The other manufacturers are likely to follow suit in an effort to meet emission standards. Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dewey

Reaction score
Where will you go next? The other manufacturers are likely to follow suit in an effort to meet emission standards. Just curious.

Taking the wait and see approach. Believe me I don’t want any other brand so this isn’t taken lightly. The Hemi is what attracted me to RAM in the first place. Without that it’s gonna be a very tough decision.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had inline sixes before, a 292 in a C20 and a 300 in an F250. They were reliable, torquey engines. Don't know how a 3 liter will match up. With a turbo, maybe...

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I have seen so much about this upcoming engine. My main wonder isn't will it be a good motor, and make for a long lasting vehicle. I just want to know, how is the community going to receive/is receiving the death of the v8? What do you think about the future of CDJR products with this being the new "big dog" in town so to speak?

It's been mentioned by the CEO of Stellantis that the Hurricane I6 will not be replacing any engine in the line-up, he also said the Hemi V8 is too popular in the 1500 line-up to go away anytime soon, that the RAM 1500 will continue to have a V8 option.

Even Ford, which has gone all in on the Ecoboost motors, making up 75% of their sales, still continues to offer the 5.0L. RAM is just catching up with GM and Ford by offering more options than just a V8 and a base V6.

Actually, the other manufacturers have already been there. RAM is the last to the party. Ford was there since 2010, GM is the first with a full size 4-cylinder Turbo option, Toyota just went V6 turbo only for their Tundra. All 3 of them will have hybrids and full electrics on the road at least a full year or two before RAM does.

By offering this 3.0L Turbo to the engine lineup, RAM is just catching up to the powertrain options GM and Ford has offered for a while.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cinsidering the I6 is better suited for what a truck is designed to do, I do r see any issue with it. The only reason anyone is hung up in the Hemi is the name, and having the V8 sound. The Hurricane motor outperforms the Hemi in every meaningful performance metric other than exhaust sound

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I agree, I actually owned a 2.7L Ecoboost F150 and loved that motor, but the sound wasn't great. However, the grapevine is saying this Hurricane should sound pretty good.

I love the sound of my Hemi, but in Rebel form with 33" tires and 3.92 axle, it's barely averaging 13 mpg. If the Hurricane sounds decent, I can see myself going with that next.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, I actually owned a 2.7L Ecoboost F150 and loved that motor, but the sound wasn't great. However, the grapevine is saying this Hurricane should sound pretty good.

I love the sound of my Hemi, but in Rebel form with 33" tires and 3.92 axle, it's barely averaging 13 mpg. If the Hurricane sounds decent, I can see myself going with that next.
An inline 6 will sound better than a V6

SD Rebel

Reaction score
An inline 6 will sound better than a V6

Absolutely, I had an Inline six in both my E46 and E90 sedans, considering they want these to be volume motors in the next-gen Charger/Challengers, they need to sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread