5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealership Fraud, Please help!

taskhaa

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I leased a RAM rebel in a Virginia Dealership in April. I am from Washington State (west coast) and I asked the Virginia dealership to license the truck in WA. Before I signed the leasing contract, they offer me a deal of $5000 down $556 per month for 36 month. The dealership also told me the $556/month has already included the WA 10.4% sales tax! This deal was such a surprise to me so I flew to Virginia and purchased it.

Two weeks later, the finance girl told me they messed up the leasing contract and forget to charge me the WA 10.4% sales tax. This is insane but I checked my leasing contract, there is indeed no tax collected. The monthly payment jumped from $556 to $638. I'm very surprised a dealership can make such an unprofessional mistake. Anyway I re-signed the lease and accept the new payment since I love the truck.

Yesterday, my temporary license expired and the finance girl called me again, she told me they didn't charge me Washington State license fee, which is another $850. If I don't pay the DOL won't mail me a license plate.

The whole purchasing experience is like a fraud. I high doubt this dealership's unprofessional behavior violate the Truth in Lend Act. If they disclose me the accurate number before I fly to Virginia, I may not even purchase the truck.

Now what should I do, my fellow RAM owners?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds more like incompetence rather than fraud, but the effect on you is the same.

This. I would call and go above the women you were dealing with and talk to the sales manager and get them to eat that $800 cost. Yep two mistakes isn’t acceptable... one I could understand sh*t happens, two... tells me they aren’t trained enough to deal with out of state buyers..

taskhaa

Reaction score
This. I would call and go above the women you were dealing with and talk to the sales manager and get them to eat that $800 cost. Yep two mistakes isn’t acceptable... one I could understand sh*t happens, two... tells me they aren’t trained enough to deal with out of state buyers..
Thanks bro! The women has been fired already lol. Such a insane dealership.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Considering those two mistakes were rather significant and could easily have effected your decision on the purchase, I would definitely fight them on the last issue.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
In my area dealers seem to be very concerned with online reviews right now. When you talk to your dealer I suggest you let them know, without threatening that your reviews will be based on resolution.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
I had a similar experience once. Dealer sent my local county $400 for tax and should of sent $2700. I called them up and said you have 2 choices and I could care less which one they choose. Overnight a check for $2300, or come get the truck. Being assertive don't always work for me, and I come off as an a$$ at times, but they overnighted a check.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
License it yourself. If the taxes are paid, the license should be a lot lower than that.
I have a Limited and live in Washington, and with personalized plates($42.00) it was only $177.50 to license it.Someone is jerking your chain if they say it's over $800, and trying to rip you off.
Forgot to mention that I live on the east side of the mountains. Yo guys on the west side are really getting raped.

Last edited:

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am assuming you live in King county if you are paying that much. Mine were high but not $800. I think they were about $600.

redneck

Reaction score
alot of dealers dont do their own tag work they send it off to a 3rd party to process so their is the actual tag price, mailing fees, 3rd party proffit, & dealer mark up. here in my county a tag transfer is around $90 dealer charge between $400-$ 600

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Call their bluff and tell them to come get their truck. It'll cost them more than $580. Meanwhile file a complaint with both state regulators as all of that is strictly regulated and someone needs an audit.

Also never resign paperwork without pushing back hard. In the future when you ask if tax/whatever is included, make them write it on a we owe. If legit, costs them nothing. If it's wrong, you win.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Signed paperwork on jeep once, and salesman came back and said "sorry, but I told you $1000 discount, but that was for a 4X4, and this is a 4X2 so its only $500. I need to change the paperwork. Told him that's not my problem and this is the deal I made with you. So I got the $1000 signed sealed and delivered.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brother I bought a 2018 in 2018 Nissan Rogue midnight edition. The salesman toile me to test drive the car. I bought it did all paperwork. Signed and was waiting for prep of the car when the salesman tried telling me they showed me pricing on a different rogue midnight edition with less options. I bugged out on everybody in there to where they threatened to call police. After much arguing including telling the sales manager to come talk to me outside in the parking lot they agreed that it was there fault and they are the 2700 difference in the sticker price difference. It’s their mistake. Should have told them that had you known that you wouldn’t have bought the truck. Let them take it back. It can never sell as a new vehicle again. Anyway you have to bring your A game when dealing with sales people. They are working on commission and they really don’t care if you are happy or not. I buy what I want and when they try talking me into something I didn’t already want I just get up and leave. 2021 plenary of knowledge of exactly what your options are. Don’t need to be sold on something. My Ram dealer in queens NY was the first dealership I have ever entered and not harassed into anything you didn’t ask for!!!!!!!

976-HIKE

Reaction score
I’ve never leased a car, so I had no idea there was a sales tax involved. What a joke. I guess we’re talking about WA here, so youre lucky there isn’t a special, higher, leasing tax.

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
as long as i live , i presume all dealerships hired idiots or morons , i grab my truck last may and they gave me ownership from someone else truck with my address , lol , they find it out only then other side owner compare insurance slip with ownership with different VIN number . So no surprize , when you start asking questions , they simply answer : " i JUST working here , i dont know " ............ :mad::mad::mad::eek:🥴😒 f*****g morons .

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a new Ram 2500 CTD back in 2003 from Anchorage CJDR. The sales manager called me a week later to explain I needed to bring them a check for just over $1200 because they messed up with their calculations. I laughed and told him I did the same thing when making the deal. He was surprised and asked what I was talking about. I explained I miscalculated and feel I overpaid by $2400 so he needed to drop a $1200 check off at my house and then we'd be even. He wasn't impressed and explained someone could lose their job over this miscalculation. I just laughed and informed him he'd better get that check to me before he gets canned or I was going to be pissed. He hung up on me and I never heard from them again. Every dealer makes money on every sale they make...don't let them get a second bite of the apple and screw you a second time.

Last edited:

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a new Ram 2500 CTD back in 2003 from Anchorage CJDR. The sales manager called me a week later to explain I needed to bring them a check for just over $1200 because they messed up with their calculations. I laughed and told him did the same thing when making the deal. He was surprised and asked what I was talking about. I explained I miscalculated and feel I overpaid by $2400 so he needed to drop a $1200 check off at my house and then we'd be even. He wasn't impressed and explained someone could lose their job over this miscalculation. I just laughed and informed him he'd better get that check to me before he gets canned or I was going to be pissed. He hung up on me and I never heard from them again. Every dealer makes money on every sale they make...don't let them get a second bite of the apple and screw you a second time.
That’s great!!!

Users who are viewing this thread