5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer tried to force GPS theft deterrent add on

lakeshow21

Reaction score
Hey All,

Dealer tried to sneak a few "hard add ons." I refused the GPS, and they agreed to remove it. After completion of the deal, the finance guy (complete A hole lying sack of crap btw) tells me they won't remove it but they didn't charge me for it.

They didn't activate the "code" or whatever but the hardware is still installed somewhere.

I'm heavily considering having my local dealer where I will buy an oil change service pack from to remove it. Any value in keeping? Any thoughts?

I don't like the idea of "being tracked" and if someone in the unlikely event steals my truck, I would rather not get it recovered since I have insurance.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any replies.

Maple

Reaction score
I've walked out on a couple of dealerships where the finance guys are *******s (that actually saved me from buying a Ford - story for another time). Not sure why you didn't, but since you did buy from this dealership, you should definitely push back and have them remove whatever hardware is tied into your system. Another user on the forum had some random beeping, turned out to be from one of these non-removed but "accidentally" activated tracking systems, which the dealership then remotely turned off - which means they could probably have remotely turned it on as well. You want that hardware removed, if nothing else so that it doesn't cause some random electrical problem that results in you not being able to start your truck.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Hey All,

Dealer tried to sneak a few "hard add ons." I refused the GPS, and they agreed to remove it. After completion of the deal, the finance guy (complete A hole lying sack of crap btw) tells me they won't remove it but they didn't charge me for it.

They didn't activate the "code" or whatever but the hardware is still installed somewhere.

I'm heavily considering having my local dealer where I will buy an oil change service pack from to remove it. Any value in keeping? Any thoughts?

I don't like the idea of "being tracked" and if someone in the unlikely event steals my truck, I would rather not get it recovered since I have insurance.

Just remove it yourself. It is installed behind panel under stearing wheel. Pop 2 screws, panel, and unplug it from OBD port.

lakeshow21

Reaction score
Just remove it yourself. It is installed behind panel under stearing wheel. Pop 2 screws, panel, and unplug it from OBD port.

Any further guidance here? I didn't touch anything but this looks off. Maybe they did remove? Or is this some dealership security feature not being turned back to normal after the sale?

Ram92131

Reaction score
Hey All,

I had the same. Dealer installed it prior to me entering into negotiations with them. I didn’t pay for it, but they also didn’t uninstall. I imagine the dealer gets a cut if you do decide to activate and that makes the installation worth their while. Mine is the Mopar EVTS. I’d love some clear instructions on how to remove it. If it’s as simple as unplugging from the OBDII port then I’d definitely want to do that.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like its plugged into you OBD. Unplug that and I guarantee the other two wires are just T-taped and will unplug without any issue. At a minimum unplug the OBD plug. Thats how it gets the vehicle info.

JR2085

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the downside is to it. I receive a monthly discount on my car insurance and get alerts if someone is messing with my truck. If you don't want to be tracked, I would remove all electronics from your life. Cell phones, computers, navigation systems. The data is out there for the taking.

Ram92131

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the downside is to it. I receive a monthly discount on my car insurance and get alerts if someone is messing with my truck. If you don't want to be tracked, I would remove all electronics from your life. Cell phones, computers, navigation systems. The data is out there for the taking.

Downside is the cost of a subscription and the fact that SiriusXM Guardian does the same thing and it’s already included from the factory on Limiteds (not sure about other models).

SlipperyPete

Reaction score
What’s the piece in the second picture for? Mine was still in a plastic bag in the glovebox.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What’s the piece in the second picture for? Mine was still in a plastic bag in the glovebox.
Coverplate for when you remove tailgate. Protects the camera cable and unlock cable and also shuts off the tailgate agar beep.

Right on track for our 3 times a month question about it lol

SlipperyPete

Reaction score
Coverplate for when you remove tailgate. Protects the camera cable and unlock cable and also shuts off the tailgate agar beep.

Right on track for our 3 times a month question about it lol

Thanks, I know the same question gets annoying over and over, lots of posts to go through for us newbies and the picture just reminded me. It’s always nice when someone takes the time to answer rather than just posting some jerk comment, I really do appreciate it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not everyone has been enjoying RAM trucks as long as me.

It is very interesting seeing new people coming to the truck world, especially RAM.

Not everyone knows, or cares to know, that a Cummins doesn't have spark plugs or that HEMI engines have 16 spark plugs.

I find it reassuring that people want to learn though.

And between here and Hdrams.com, I think we might hit the question 6 times this month.

JR2085

Reaction score
Downside is the cost of a subscription and the fact that SiriusXM Guardian does the same thing and it’s already included from the factory on Limiteds (not sure about other models).
I get not wanting to pay for the subscription if you already have one in place. Not wanting the free GPS locating seems crazy to me, whether you have insurance covering the theft or not. Insurance rates are high enough without paying out for every vehicle that is stolen, rather than being able to recover it.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
My dealer preinstalled the Mopar EVTS as well, I ended up getting them to drop all those extra charges completely while I still got a year free of the "gold" plan. When I called to activate it the company told me I'd be getting a big insurance discount but only during the activation call could I get a lifetime subscription for $800 for the EVTS (I ended passing on the "deal").

FYI I then called Allstate and asked about a discount and they said my coverage would be the same with or without the EVTS. My full coverage rate is somewhere just above $100/mo.
I'll keep the EVTS for the year then cancel. I don't see many benefits for the price, as I don't have teens driving (GPS plus the vehicle speed alerts)

M

MJB4450

After many years ago having an add on ignition disabling device which was not activated because I did not pay for it, disintegrate and leave me stranded, I from that point on seek out dealerships that do not "pre-load" after market crap. Some dealers have gotten insane with the amount of stuff they pre-load. So I save myself the hassle and buy only from the very few dealers who won't do anything more than pre-load window tint unless I see an inbound vehicle I want at another dealer. I will then tell them to call me when it gets there, do a PDI but don't pre-load anything. Drives me nuts to see brand new vehicles butchered by drilling holes in the dash and splicing the heck out of wiring to install some cheap $50 unnecessary redundant aftermarket junk and try to get $600 out of the customer for it. That's why they leave those things in place. It costs them so little that if only a few people are dumb enough to pay for it, that makes up for countless units they didn't sell.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have to think this is also installed to allow easier repo in the event of missed payments., at the expense of the customer.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
In the past I had dealers try to sell me a $500 brake light flasher or $300 pin striping or VIN etching. I refuse to buy a vehicle with those options already installed. In my 2018 Ram the dealer told me they couldn't remove the 3rd brake light flasher because it was buried under the headliner. I said, that they were right behind the 3rd brakelight and all it took was 4 screws. I showed the guy of a YouTube video of it being installed and an Amazon link for a brake light flasher for $35.00. The dealer said they wouldn't remove it or lower the cost of the truck because they were already "losing money on the deal". The dealer down the block had the truck i wanted too and they sold it to me at the price I wanted without all of that ********.

Ram92131

Reaction score
I get not wanting to pay for the subscription if you already have one in place. Not wanting the free GPS locating seems crazy to me, whether you have insurance covering the theft or not. Insurance rates are high enough without paying out for every vehicle that is stolen, rather than being able to recover it.
So there is a service bundled with the hardware? I was under the impression that you must subscribe in order to realize any benefit from this thing.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So there is a service bundled with the hardware? I was under the impression that you must subscribe in order to realize any benefit from this thing.

Probably have to subscribe for it to be a benefit to you, but otherwise it is a free roam tracker to whomever or whatever has legal rights to the data. I don't have it on my rig so I I'm not sure what the constraints are. There may be some privacy protections in the fine details of the contract.

Users who are viewing this thread