5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer says my AFE Headers are causing rough idle

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The only thing I’m going to add to this is to stop going to the dealer to have them diagnose problems from aftermarket parts. Most of them are bad enough with stock OE systems.
That and once they see an aftermarket part they blame it for the problem and don't want to be bothered with it

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
So I successfully screwed up my truck today swapping out my upstreams O2s. Passenger side went fine, but I couldn't for the life of me get the driver's side wiring to disconnect. I inadvertently, pulled a little too hard and pulled the main harness four pins from the connector. It's such a tight area to work in and I've been unable to fully seat them back in the connector. I called around to a few repair shops and they said I probably broke the clips because the pins should easily go in and just lock in place.

Now I've got a CEL and had to order a new full engine harness at $400. Once that comes in, it'll probably be about 5 hours of labor to pull the old harness and replace with the new. Add another $800 for labor and, what should have been a simple O2 swap is now a $1200 repair.
Definitely should be able to just replace the one O2 connector

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
Definitely should be able to just replace the one O2 connector
I canceled the harness order and ordered the parts from Mouser. There's a shop I'm going to take it to to get the work done, but I have a feeling they're going to need to pull most of the harness just to get it to a position where they can actually work on it and attach the new connectors. Probably about a half day's worth of work to pull it, fix it, and reinstall.

BowDown

Reaction score
I canceled the harness order and ordered the parts from Mouser. There's a shop I'm going to take it to to get the work done, but I have a feeling they're going to need to pull most of the harness just to get it to a position where they can actually work on it and attach the new connectors. Probably about a half day's worth of work to pull it, fix it, and reinstall.

It is curious that the few of you that have installed headers immediately had idling and starting issues

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
It is curious that the few of you that have installed headers immediately had idling and starting issues
When I got under my truck, it was obvious the installer had messed with my passenger side upstream O2 sensor. I think they may have damaged it when installing the headers. I haven't had my rough idle issue since replacing my upstreams, but I've also got a CEL for my driver's side upstream due to damaging the connector. So to me, that means my passenger side O2 was causing my problems.

BowDown

Reaction score
When I got under my truck, it was obvious the installer had messed with my passenger side upstream O2 sensor. I think they may have damaged it when installing the headers. I haven't had my rough idle issue since replacing my upstreams, but I've also got a CEL for my driver's side upstream due to damaging the connector. So to me, that means my passenger side O2 was causing my problems.

Ahh, you may be correct then. Wonder if others have unintentionally damaged the O2 during this install, they're not exactly fragile so they must be damaging the wires

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I didn’t have any idling issues after I installed my headers but I definitely damaged a couple of my O2 sensors either taking them out or putting them back in.

Users who are viewing this thread