5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dealer said Chrysler wants $350 to "subscribe" to larger tires to adjust my speedometer?!?!?!?!?

panic1013

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 Limited. 2 weeks ago I had Discount Tire replace my stock 285/45r22 for 285/55r22 Recon Grapplers. As such, my speedometer is off by about 6 MPH at 60MPH. I have read on this board many went to their dealer for $125-$150 and had the speedometer adjusted so I set an appointment. I went today and service rep came back and said to "get the codes" Chrysler wanted me to "subscribe" to larger tires at a cost of $350. What the hell is this? Needles to say I did not pay and left.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, it's not YOU that needs to subscribe to that fee. It's the shop - they have to pay FCA for the updated dataset (or whatever it is) so that they can calibrate your truck. Since they probably feel that they wouldn't use it again, it sounds like they want you to pay it for them.
Similar to a shop saying they've never needed a certain type of wrench before, so they want you to buy that tool for them (that will sit in the corner for the rest of eternity after the one time use).

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dealers charge what they want for programming. Call around. Back in about 2017, I bought my pontoon boat while on vacation. I wasn't expecting to, so we had taken gf's Grand Cherokee, that didn't have a hitch. I bolted on the hitch in the hotel parking lot, and found out, that all the trailer wiring was there, except the plug, which just plugged into the harness. Then I found out it had to be programmed. I called a few dealers between where I was, and where I was getting the boat. I got a couple prices of $150, and $200. Then I found a dealer who did it for me for $50. I don't think any dealer will do it that cheap anymore, but make some calls, or buy your own programmer.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I understand it, it's not YOU that needs to subscribe to that fee. It's the shop - they have to pay FCA for the updated dataset (or whatever it is) so that they can calibrate your truck. Since they probably feel that they wouldn't use it again, it sounds like they want you to pay it for them.
Similar to a shop saying they've never needed a certain type of wrench before, so they want you to buy that tool for them (that will sit in the corner for the rest of eternity after the one time use).
It's an option you purchase for the truck, it can only be used on that vin and not transfered. It also has to be used/tire size updated within a certain amount of time. I think the cost from Stellantis is $125 and the dealer can mark it up if they want. Unfortunately many do, it's like marking up an extended warranty or service contract.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My local dealership also wanted $350 to calibrate the Speedo on my truck, but they would not guarantee that Park Sense would still work.

I ended up doing it myself with AlphaOBD. Even with AlphaOBD, or any other method as far as I know, you can only go up to a certain tire size before the Park Sense stops working. I only went from 32” to 33” so this did not affect me.

With that said, the dealer did bring up an interesting point that I still have not been able to confirm or deny. They said that they do not recommend increasing the tire size because if the windshield ever needs to be replaced the Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning camera cannot be calibrated if the truck is no longer at stock ride height.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My local dealership also wanted $350 to calibrate the Speedo on my truck, but they would not guarantee that Park Sense would still work.

I ended up doing it myself with AlphaOBD. Even with AlphaOBD, or any other method as far as I know, you can only go up to a certain tire size before the Park Sense stops working. I only went from 32” to 33” so this did not affect me.

With that said, the dealer did bring up an interesting point that I still have not been able to confirm or deny. They said that they do not recommend increasing the tire size because if the windshield ever needs to be replaced the Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning camera cannot be calibrated if the truck is no longer at stock ride height.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this?
Simply not true. Small lifts and tire size increase can be calibrated. I know large lifts can cause issues with the systems.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
JScan is another option, it's pretty limited with options, but you can easily change your tire size. My winter and summer tires are different sizes so I have to change them twice a year.

BlueHorn86

Reaction score
On all the DT trucks, if tire size is programmed over 33.75" the front and rear park assist sensors (if equipped) will automatically disable.

In order for a dealer to change your tire size, you need to purchase a new tire size sales code basically. It's done the same way as purchasing an extended warranty through FCA's system, and is only applied to that VIN. Then the dealer would update the trucks build configuration with the scan tool. It's no longer an option we can just go in and change.

If you plan to change tire sizes again or have two different sets (summer/winter) I'd recommend an aftermarket programmer. Personally I use Hypertech's speedo calibrator. Either way, measure the actual tire height on the vehicle, rather than a size calculation or the sidewall. I programmed 33.75" for my 35s and it's spot on.

Dewey

Reaction score
Watch for a used Tazer. I got mine for $200. Very easy to change tires size with it.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On all the DT trucks, if tire size is programmed over 33.75" the front and rear park assist sensors (if equipped) will automatically disable.

In order for a dealer to change your tire size, you need to purchase a new tire size sales code basically. It's done the same way as purchasing an extended warranty through FCA's system, and is only applied to that VIN. Then the dealer would update the trucks build configuration with the scan tool. It's no longer an option we can just go in and change.

If you plan to change tire sizes again or have two different sets (summer/winter) I'd recommend an aftermarket programmer. Personally I use Hypertech's speedo calibrator. Either way, measure the actual tire height on the vehicle, rather than a size calculation or the sidewall. I programmed 33.75" for my 35s and it's spot on.
so even with AlfaOBD if I change mine from 33s to 35s my park assist sensors won't work?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
This is just one more advantage to learning how to park all by yourself. My sensors are not disabled by a lift or tires.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is just one more advantage to learning how to park all by yourself. My sensors are not disabled by a lift or tires.
I doubt most people actually need the sensors to park, but it’s pretty annoying to have a bunch of dummy lights illuminated on your dash.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A good reason to do the calibration yourself. You can spend ~$100 for AlfaOBD or pony up $300 for Tazer DT.

AlfaOBD will be the most economical way. You open yourself to a whole host of things you can do with it too as added benefit.

Alfa is a PITA to learn how to use compared to Tazer though. And it requires a cable or dongle, downloaded software, laptop, etc...

My '22 is currently programmed over 33.75" and my sensors still work. I know because they annoy the hell out of me when I'm off road so I hit the button on the console to turn them off.

TyH2009

Reaction score
So Tazers DO work for 2022’s? I had thought I read that they didn’t, but it maybe was an old thread and firmware wasn’t out yet.
I have an appointment in April (soonest appt available) with a dealer to try and get mine recalibrated, they said they needed to hook mine up and “scan” to see if it can be done, but if there’s an easier/quicker way like using a Tazer.

HemiDude

Reaction score
The Tazer does work with 2022s, the issues that it has seem to be with Uconnect five

BlueHorn86

Reaction score
Alfa is a PITA to learn how to use compared to Tazer though. And it requires a cable or dongle, downloaded software, laptop, etc...

My '22 is currently programmed over 33.75" and my sensors still work. I know because they annoy the hell out of me when I'm off road so I hit the button on the console to turn them off.
What did you use to program it? When I was deciding which programmer to buy, that was the common issue with all of them, and I tested with my Hypertech, it was like I had pressed the off switches and couldn't turn them back on. Personally I never wanted the sensors to begin with but couldn't get my heated seats and steering wheel without that too haha

Users who are viewing this thread