5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer overfilled oil.

Yelzelity

Reaction score
I have been to three different dealers for oil changes and every time it has been overfilled by 1/2 quart to 1 quart. So I have crawl underneath and drain oil out. I might as well start doing them myself.

Has anyone else had this issues with dealers?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Most dealers that use bulk oil just have the gun so they just set it at say "7" on it for amount, they aren't really that calibrated. Reason why I bring my own oil(synthetic) and watch them put it in and it's exactly what it takes.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
^^ what he said.

Alternately, the tech got impatient. He filled it, ran it to fill the filter and leak check it, then looked at the dipstick. Modern engines send a whole lot of oil up to the heads so it takes a couple minutes for it to all drain down. Check it too soon and you'll think it's underfilled and top it off. Then it's overfilled.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
When I get an oil change done at the dealership, I do two things.

First is mark the oil filter, put a small cut on the top of the filter so you can be sure they changed it instead of wiping it off and leaving it on.

Two, when the service advisor is writing up my oil change, I ask him in a nice way to please make sure they don't overfill the oil. I rather have it slightly lower than slightly above the line. He will likely put a note for the tech to pay attention to that.

Jako

Reaction score
I have been to three different dealers for oil changes and every time it has been overfilled by 1/2 quart to 1 quart. So I have crawl underneath and drain oil out. I might as well start doing them myself.

Has anyone else had this issues with dealers?
Father-in-law's Honda Fit overfilled by local mechanic. I used a syringe with a tube attached to take a 1/2 quart out. Took a few times to get it to the max mark.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
I know it isn’t right but you do know a 1/2 a qt over filled would never cause damage right ? I mean even after sitting for hours and the oil drains from the heads to the pan that amount of oil wouldn’t even breach the windage tray. The amount of space all of the Hemi pans have even a full qt over wouldn’t do anything. So I understand you want to follow the dipstick but you do not have to worry about a 1/2 qt extra there is plenty of space for it to go. Quite honestly without a catch can the amount that ends up in the intake will usually have you low by the next oil change anyway if it was filled correctly. Plus it takes time for gravity to do its work if a 1/2 a qt over actually caused any issue with these engines oil changes would take much longer due to way the oil is filled. Into the head first.
Just like filing an oil filter first. If you can great but if you can’t unless your vehicle had been sitting for years there is plenty of oil coated on the parts to be fine. After all oil is pumped to the filter first and with the volume capable of the pump it would take a few seconds to fill.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My understanding of manufacturers oil volume is a minimum/maximum with 1/2 qt of reservoir space to maintain overall engine health and longevity. You would have to be completely blind or stupid to add an extra qt by accident. Some folks think more is better for some things, not with motor oil.

I have never, in my almost 50 years of breathing, let another person change the oil in any of my vehicles. I whipe my own **** and change my own oil, for the same reasons.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
personally i wouldnt worry about .5 qt, but would for 1qt overfill. I know it says 7qt for oil capacity but my break in oil change I had to add about 7.5qts to be at the top hole

Jako

Reaction score
Thanks all for the reply on filling above the max line. I'm not a mechanic but I have had a mechanic put in 6 quarts in my 5 quart 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. It may be from my motorcycle forum (and more specific to my motorcycles) or perhaps something passed down years ago but from what I can remember the excess oil was bad because it caused the oil to froth or foam. How much excess? That I don't remember. The "mechanic" did nothing when informed it only took 5 quarts.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
1/2 a quart won't do any harm on a typical car engine, and in most cases you need about 2 quarts before you actually risk engine damage. Also, there is some buffer probably built in by the engineers knowing full well that oil change fills are rarely perfect.

But its still not technically correct anything above the line, and I'm sure you rather have it correct than not. But in reality, 1/2 a quart is something I probably wouldn't bother worrying about.

Users who are viewing this thread