5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer offing to swap my truck out, should I do it?

It sounds like you are ready to take the plunge. If you like that Rebel; I say go get it.

I am still on the fence. I went to the dealer (just got home) and drove it. On the outside it is sick compared to mine and I won't have to spend money on PPF for the bumper like I will need to on mine if I keep it, I already have 5-6 rock chips. On the inside I actually like the Rebel 12 interior better than my Laramie, the Red is darker than the standard Rebel and it has the black leather seats, but I realized I would lose Blindspot (not a big deal), reclining rear seats, and all the dome lights are halogen compared to my LED's on top of losing the ventilated seats. Exterior I lose just the BUG group but also for what it's worth I lose the ability to drop the tailgate with my Keyfob or from inside with that button I have on the overhead console. And of course lose the 33 gallon tank.

All little things but noticeable, going to have to really think hard.

Second option is that they have a Laramie Black Edition Level 2 with the Off Road Group and no eTorque. It has every single option my truck does plus Level 2 vs my Level 1, the Off road Group, 12" Nav, HK system, and power running boards. Mine is also just a black sport appearance package, not a Black out package. It still does not have the BUG or the 33 gallon tank. This one would be $4k down but my payment would jump $25 a month. Sticker on that is $60,895.

Just so everyone knows, he showed me the quote on his computer and for the Rebel the sales price is $41,887 after rebates and dealer discount down from the $57,415 sticker. For the ORP Laramie Black it would be $43,415 down from the sticker of $60,895. Both would be plus tax/tag/title and less trade. No dealer fees.

Pictures of each

Attachments

• Rebel 12.jpg
    Rebel 12.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Laramie Black ORP.jpg
    Laramie Black ORP.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 43
I am still on the fence. I went to the dealer (just got home) and drove it. On the outside it is sick compared to mine and I won't have to spend money on PPF for the bumper like I will need to on mine if I keep it, I already have 5-6 rock chips. On the inside I actually like the Rebel 12 interior better than my Laramie, the Red is darker than the standard Rebel and it has the black leather seats, but I realized I would lose Blindspot (not a big deal), reclining rear seats, and all the dome lights are halogen compared to my LED's on top of losing the ventilated seats. Exterior I lose just the BUG group but also for what it's worth I lose the ability to drop the tailgate with my Keyfob or from inside with that button I have on the overhead console. And of course lose the 33 gallon tank.

Second option is that they have a Laramie Black Edition Level 2 with the Off Road Group and no eTorque. It has every single option my truck does plus Level 2 vs my Level 1, the Off road Group, 12" Nav, HK system, and power running boards. Mine is also just a black sport appearance package, not a Black out package. It still does not have the BUG or the 33 gallon tank. This one would be $4k down but my payment would jump $25 a month. Sticker on that is $60,895.

Just so everyone knows, he showed me the quote on his computer and for the Rebel the sales price is $41,887 after rebates and dealer discount down from the $57,415 sticker. For the ORP Laramie Black it would be $43,415 down from the sticker of $60,895. Both would be plus tax/tag/title and less trade. No dealer fees.
Maybe try and work out a deal with them where they order the exact truck you want? You have to wait for it to arrive but at least you know you are getting the most up to date build. I am super picky so I ordered mine to ensure it was exactly what I wanted.

Well this all depends how attached you are to money, as that's all that's involved here. Any direction you go you appear to be losing $6k+ and gaining a few thousand miles (I assume) and a truck that's more to your liking.

If you can't live with the etorque system, then you are going to have to take some kind of bath to switch trucks or go to another brand and try to do some other even swap.

What is it about the etorque system you have? I will admit I don't have it, and didn't want it, but I don't know what it feels like driving one.

Both are awesome. Both really great prices. Do you go for the rugged look or the refined?... tough decision. You havent mentioned comparing payload or towing capacity to your current Laramie so maybe that’s not important for your needs, but might be something to consider. Rebel might have lower payload and less towing capability. Don’t want you to miss out on anything. Good luck!

Theres been good points brought up about the deal and needing to get a few more accessory bones thrown your way (backflip, spray bedliner, step bars perhaps) yet that’s still a decent tradeoff, getting a Rebel, 12” and factory lift for $415. Etorque certainly has its defenders here. Who knows.yours might be problem free and give you the mileage increase that the 3.92’s took away.

If you are happy and dont mind the 3 lost payments, then its all good. You are the one to please, not us.
It’s true that dealers don’t lose (well unless you take Lil Miss Always Wrong from La with you to bargain, she’s tough!) so thats really not the issue.

lol thanks for the shout out Willwork! Personally, i would do that deal in a heartbeat if i were dissatisfied with the e-torque. I mean, i doubt you will EVER get used to it to the point of not "noticing it", i tried a couple of e-torques and i just wasn't "feelin' it!" i think you should take that deal and never look back. Even if you are a "looker backerer" , i just don't see how this isn't a win-win--- HOWEVER, i would tell them you will take it, IF they accept 3,000 down NOT 4. If they say NO, then give it a day.... To me, whatever deal they offered has a "padding in it"... As Willwork mentioned, i believe in cutting down to the bone with dealers whenever possible... See if they will accept your "counteroffer", if not, be prepared to walk away but no reason you can't leave and call them from "up the street" : ) We've done that on rare occasions, and it made me comfortable they were at their "rockbottom price" if they let me go... : )

AND, plus, a Rebel 12 should book out approx 3K higher in trade in value than your Laramie, so there's that : )

Last edited:
Ha ha, a particular Texas member will laugh when he reads this.
If you really like the truck you have option wise, and are just losing the 12” (is that all?) then yes, consider keeping the etorque (gasp) :oops:, just buy an FCA extended warranty for that system. I mean, whenever you trade you lose. How badly you want out of your existing truck vs what you lose is the question.

I faced something of the same decision when I bought the 19’ I now have. I had wanted different gears, parts of the level 1 package, trailer brake controller, the 33 gallon tank etc. but it just wasn’t worth the hassle to me to get that one up north, so I accepted the lessor truck and I’m ok with it. “Suffering with a 19’ Limited in the 1st world”. :rolleyes:

What Lil’ Miss said about future trade I hadn’t known, more for the other side... use her ideas on the bargaining, maybe speed dial her while you are going back and forth via email. “Here’s my agent, talk to her...”

I have not really looked at the Rebel and what you get for it drivetrain-wise and I also have little interest in an off-road capable truck (for my wife) so it never came up for consideration. However I’m probably twice your age and back before the wedding band I was a jeeper, so I’d be looking at that Rebel pretty hard right now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this all depends how attached you are to money, as that's all that's involved here. Any direction you go you appear to be losing $6k+ and gaining a few thousand miles (I assume) and a truck that's more to your liking.

If you can't live with the etorque system, then you are going to have to take some kind of bath to switch trucks or go to another brand and try to do some other even swap.

What is it about the etorque system you have? I will admit I don't have it, and didn't want it, but I don't know what it feels like driving one.

Not arguing but where did you figure $6k?

It wouldn't even be a question for me....I would be all over that ORP Laramie; especially for that price. That is one good looking truck.

To me if the reason why you want out is due to them not being able to correct the problem then fine. But why should you have to spend $4K more on a vehicle that you weren’t even shopping for ? Unless you really do want a Rebel then in that case I say go for it. :)

It’s in the mid 90s here in South Louisiana so I know you are feeling it in Florida also. Drive around in your current truck for a few days without using the ventilated seats and see how you feel. I don’t think I could go without the ventilated seats as it is a huge help in this heat. I like the Rebel, but I would think hard about jumping on that Laramie though.

I hear you. I like the Rebel and the Laramie Sport/Black equally. I actually shopped the Rebel 12 the first time around but all of them at the time around here had air ride and pano roof and stuff that put them in the $62k range with only $1k in rebates where mine was $57k with $3750 in rebates. 12” screen doesn’t mean much to me, cool I guess but not needed, so I picked mine because it had everything I wanted but it did have the eTorque which I didn’t pick, but accepted due to it having everything else and being a great deal at the time.

I didn’t notice the regen braking that much during short test drives, it only became apparent after driving it for a few weeks. I’m not convinced anything is wrong, I just don’t like the characteristics of the way it feels when slowing down under 20mph, I’m also averaging 16mpg with 50/50 city highway so I’m definitely not getting any benefits from it.

Bett
I hear you. I like the Rebel and the Laramie Sport/Black equally. I actually shopped the Rebel 12 the first time around but all of them at the time around here had air ride and pano roof and stuff that put them in the $62k range with only $1k in rebates where mine was $57k with $3750 in rebates. 12” screen doesn’t mean much to me, cool I guess but not needed, so I picked mine because it had everything I wanted but it did have the eTorque which I didn’t pick, but accepted due to it having everything else and being a great deal at the time.

I didn’t notice the regen braking that much during short test drives, it only became apparent after driving it for a few weeks. I’m not convinced anything is wrong, I just don’t like the characteristics of the way it feels when slowing down under 20mph, I’m also averaging 16mpg with 50/50 city highway so I’m definitely not getting any benefits from it.
A bit better than the 13 - 14.5 mpg I am getting on my non etorque ORP 3.92 Laramie.

19 Big Horn had $7500 in rebates last month in TN..

This deal is sick: I don’t know anything about this dealer and my wife didnt like the western theme but for what, 33% off, I’d have asked her to deal with it, lol. I think they have like 3 of these trucks right now advertised. All LL trim.

2019 Ram 1500 LARAMIE LONGHORN CREW CAB 4X4 5'7 BOX
  • MSRP $62,375
  • Price Difference $21,143
  • Lustine VIP Price $41,232

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back