5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer offing to swap my truck out, should I do it?

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All,

Please see my truck details on my sig. I have really hated the regen braking on my eTorque and voiced that to my dealer. They have tried every TSB and reflash and it doesn’t help.

Today they called to offer me a way to trade out. Something about killer rebates they never saw coming (doubtful) but I’ll bite.

I’ve been wanting to lift my truck 2” and add larger tires which will end up costing me $3-4K I’m guessing with labor so they are offering me a Rebel instead so I won’t have to do that.

Black Rebel 12 with standard Hemi and level 2 package. Only thing it won’t have that mine does is the 33 gallon tank and ventilated seats, but it will have the 12” screen and be a Rebel where mine is the 8.4N and not a Rebel.

Deal is $4k down plus my trade keeping the payments, term, and interest rate the same.

Thoughts???

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd take it, especially if you want the lifted look, Rebel has that already. Ventilated seats are nice in the summer but perhaps you won't have AC issues like several do. The standard hemi should be less problematic. I have to think that getting the 12" screen is a big plus (since you sound like you wanted it).

Depending on where you live and drive, you may not need the extended range tank. I don't here in NC as there are gas stations every highway exit.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
All,

Please see my truck details on my sig. I have really hated the regen braking on my eTorque and voiced that to my dealer. They have tried every TSB and reflash and it doesn’t help.

Today they called to offer me a way to trade out. Something about killer rebates they never saw coming (doubtful) but I’ll bite.

I’ve been wanting to lift my truck 2” and add larger tires which will end up costing me $3-4K I’m guessing with labor so they are offering me a Rebel instead so I won’t have to do that.

Black Rebel 12 with standard Hemi and level 2 package. Only thing it won’t have that mine does is the 33 gallon tank and ventilated seats, but it will have the 12” screen and be a Rebel where mine is the 8.4N and not a Rebel.

Deal is $4k down plus my trade keeping the payments, term, and interest rate the same.

Thoughts???
Hmm without doing any hardcore math, it sounds like a decent deal but I would run it through the online build configurator to see if you are getting a truck that is of same value or better. Then it becomes a personal decision if you like the Rebel better than the Laramie. Do you like the front grill? The interior? The color of the new truck? I personally would be hard pressed to give up the 33 gallon tank as I do like having that option. I also use my ventilated seats way more than I ever thought I would and could do without the 12" monitor. Personal decision on your tastes.

PorBoy

Reaction score
To me if the reason why you want out is due to them not being able to correct the problem then fine. But why should you have to spend $4K more on a vehicle that you weren’t even shopping for ? Unless you really do want a Rebel then in that case I say go for it. :)

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Hmm without doing any hardcore math, it sounds like a decent deal but I would run it through the online build configurator to see if you are getting a truck that is of same value or better. Then it becomes a personal decision if you like the Rebel better than the interior. Do you like the front grill? The interior? The color of the new truck? I personally would be hard pressed to give up the 33 gallon tank as I do like having that option. I also use my ventilated seats way more than I ever thought I would and could do without the 12" monitor. Personal decision on your tastes.
Exactly. For some, those trade-offs are too much. Also depends on gearing, although I'd think Rebels are 3.92 with the ORG. Locking differential I presume...

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I love my 33 gal tank, and the way mine was configured. so to me, they would have to come back with the same truck, not a fan of the redish interior of the rebel. but from what I understand, the regular hemi has the new regen braking assist with the transmission... what was the initial complaint? I have a regular Hemi, my 3rd one, with over 315000 miles on the first 2.....

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I originally wanted a Rebel but hated the standard interior. I like the Rebel 12 interior much better but couldn’t find any and they were only offering $1000 in rebates at the time vs $3750 on my Laramie plus they made better deals on Laramie’s regardless due to demand on Rebels so I couldn’t afford it at the time. Payment was way too high.

There really isn’t an option I wish I had on my truck that I don’t. I just wish it wasn’t an eTorque. Take out the eTorque, give me a slight lift and tires and I’m happy as hell.

I live in Florida and my A/C cranks, no issues, but I do use the vent seats.

My Sticker was $57,000. This Rebel Sticker is $57,415.

If I were to build out a Rebel 12 online I would only add 33 gallon tank and spray in bed liner to what this has and take nothing off.

Attachments

• 61A93DDA-AAC6-42BF-8831-B2E4376395FA.jpeg
    61A93DDA-AAC6-42BF-8831-B2E4376395FA.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 35

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my 33 gal tank, and the way mine was configured. so to me, they would have to come back with the same truck, not a fan of the redish interior of the rebel. but from what I understand, the regular hemi has the new regen braking assist with the transmission... what was the initial complaint? I have a regular Hemi, my 3rd one, with over 315000 miles on the first 2.....

Only the eTorque has regen braking. You can’t have regen braking without a hybrid system.

Glenn54

Reaction score
I think you should go for it. If you don't you will regret it. Try to get the dealer to throw in a bed liner, etc.

79 300

Reaction score
You mentioned they are going to keep the payments, term and interest rate the same. Suppose you currently have a 60 month loan, but already made 8 payments. Will your new loan only be for the remaining 52 months or the full 60 months, essentially starting over? That could add thousands to the deal on your end which they are most likely trying to hide from you. Be careful!!

GregHBNA

Reaction score
I would want to see if broken down in a sales quote. not until . . .

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You mentioned they are going to keep the payments, term and interest rate the same. Suppose you currently have a 60 month loan, but already made 8 payments. Will your new loan only be for the remaining 52 months or the full 60 months, essentially starting over? That could add thousands to the deal on your end which they are most likely trying to hide from you. Be careful!!

Good catch, it would be starting over. The rate is actually dropping slightly from 3.99 to 3.90. I have only made 3 payments on this truck so it isn’t a big deal and then I also am starting from zero on the new odometer so to me that’s a wash.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealers don't lose money on trades and sales; so look the numbers over closely. Look at the bottom line; not the monthly payment. As someone here already mentioned, they may be offering you this "sweet deal" on different payment terms. I have a Laramie and would not trade it for a Rebel because I like the looks and the interior of my Laramie better; but that is strictly subjective. And living in Florida; there is no way that I would give up my cooled seats after being spoiled by them.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I have a laramie configured basically like yours but without the etorque and I would have a hard time making that decision as well. That said, I love the Rebel and having the 12" screen would be awesome. See if they will go to 3k down and jump on it. Seems like you arent happy with what you have so that isn't going to change unless you get a different truck. Might as well do it. You can also swap out your steps and flaps once you secure the deal. They won't even notice that when you trade it in

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
I lived half my life in the Boca area, and wouldn't give up the ventilated seats. I also wouldn't give up the 33 tank. Now, maybe if you didn't have either of those already, it would be fair.. I think you'll miss them both when they're gone!

To sum up, you're toss away 3 payments (however much they were), plus $4k, plus your trade in? Sounds to me like you're giving up a bunch.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I originally wanted a Rebel but hated the standard interior. I like the Rebel 12 interior much better but couldn’t find any and they were only offering $1000 in rebates at the time vs $3750 on my Laramie plus they made better deals on Laramie’s regardless due to demand on Rebels so I couldn’t afford it at the time. Payment was way too high.

There really isn’t an option I wish I had on my truck that I don’t. I just wish it wasn’t an eTorque. Take out the eTorque, give me a slight lift and tires and I’m happy as hell.

I live in Florida and my A/C cranks, no issues, but I do use the vent seats.

My Sticker was $57,000. This Rebel Sticker is $57,415.

If I were to build out a Rebel 12 online I would only add 33 gallon tank and spray in bed liner to what this has and take nothing off.
Theres been good points brought up about the deal and needing to get a few more accessory bones thrown your way (backflip, spray bedliner, step bars perhaps) yet that’s still a decent tradeoff, getting a Rebel, 12” and factory lift for $415. Etorque certainly has its defenders here. Who knows.yours might be problem free and give you the mileage increase that the 3.92’s took away.

If you are happy and dont mind the 3 lost payments, then its all good. You are the one to please, not us.
It’s true that dealers don’t lose (well unless you take Lil Miss Always Wrong from La with you to bargain, she’s tough!) so thats really not the issue.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Theres been good points brought up about the deal and needing to get a few more accessory bones thrown your way (backflip, spray bedliner, step bars perhaps) yet that’s still a decent tradeoff, getting a Rebel, 12” and factory lift for $415. Etorque certainly has its defenders here. Who knows.yours might be problem free and give you the mileage increase that the 3.92’s took away.

If you are happy and dont mind the 3 lost payments, then its all good. You are the one to please, not us.
It’s true that dealers don’t lose (well unless you take Lil Miss Always Wrong from La with you to bargain, she’s tough!) so thats really not the issue.

What makes it work and a deal they couldn’t do last week is that today they announced a 15% off sticker rebate on all trucks and 20% off tradesman. That’s strictly rebate. So last month Rebel had $1000 in rebates. This truck will now have $8612 in factory rebate. That eats up depreciation.

Like I said, same exact term and lower rate by the small amount of .09%

I forgot to mention, they added the factory running boards, same as I have on mine at the dealer and are included. I can move my flaps.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What makes it work and a deal they couldn’t do last week is that today they announced a 15% off sticker rebate on all trucks and 20% off tradesman. That’s strictly rebate. So last month Rebel had $1000 in rebates. This truck will now have $8612 in factory rebate. That eats up depreciation.

Like I said, same exact term and lower rate by the small amount of .09%

I forgot to mention, they added the factory running boards, same as I have on mine at the dealer and are included. I can move my flaps.
It sounds like you are ready to take the plunge. If you like that Rebel; I say go get it.

Users who are viewing this thread