5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer is telling me I must pay MSRP if I special order

OtterRam

Reaction score
Hey ALL, new here. Does this really work for the 1% below invoice? I found a document that lists every company affiliated.
I am looking at a new Laramie 4x4. First dodge ever for me. I joined to research suspension and trims and ended up in this rabbit hole here. Thanks to all who have written.

Welcome !!!!! I believe I have seen that link posted a few times but I never actually clicked on it to check it out hah. This webpage has a few excellent threads on pricing and other information. You will def go even deeper into the rabbit hole!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You usually can always purchase below invoice even if you special order. The only risk for special ordering is that they cannot guarantee the rebates will be there when the truck comes in. Since they always are running rebates and you are not obligated to purchase, it’s a pretty safe bet. If your dealer won’t do this, go to another one.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You usually can always purchase below invoice even if you special order. The only risk for special ordering is that they cannot guarantee the rebates will be there when the truck comes in. Since they always are running rebates and you are not obligated to purchase, it’s a pretty safe bet. If your dealer won’t do this, go to another one.

Not always true on the rebates when special ordering. Your dealer can "Lock In" the rebates of the month if they do that (called Incentive Protection) and if the month it comes in is better, you can get those incentives instead. If it is worse than when you order then you get the original incentives. This has been discussed many time in other threads. Even with all the shortages you should absolutely be able to get below invoice and even lower. If the dealer your finding won't budge then move on to another dealer.

SalMeatballs

Reaction score
I also joined to research info. In the 80 & 90s I owned a bunch of 60s & 70s MOPARs but this will be my first NEW one. I was trying to find info on selecting options that are not listed. After much back & forth with multiple customer service agents I was told that the ordering process no longer allows options beyond what is listed as available.

Does anyone know if there is a way around this or must I get what is available then make changes after receiving the truck?

notoriouskeef

Reaction score
Hey ALL, new here. Does this really work for the 1% below invoice? I found a document that lists every company affiliated.
I am looking at a new Laramie 4x4. First dodge ever for me. I joined to research suspension and trims and ended up in this rabbit hole here. Thanks to all who have written.

I signed up for treadlightly which got me 1% below invoice. My dealer never heard of it before and they honored it. If you sign up you have to be a member for over a month though. I contacted prolly 30 dealers within 1,000 miles of me looking to order one and 2 of them promised deals on orders (waiting for over a month on their "deals") never heard from them so I just got fed up and bought one local. The other dealers just told me I'm paying sticker plus whatever rebates I qualify for for the month I get it. No haggling, it is what it is.

This was the first time my Ram dealer even had a truck that interested me in stock and I check them several times a week. I shot over there to look at it and while I was looking at it someone was trying to buy it lol. Chalk it up to the pandemic b/c 95% of dealers will sell it to the next guy if you don't take it. When my lease is over hopefully it will be back to the time dealers are begging me for a deal.

I originally wanted a GMC but their leases SUCK! My local dealer is huge and they had NOTHING on the lot and everything they had being built or coming in was sold already.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I also joined to research info. In the 80 & 90s I owned a bunch of 60s & 70s MOPARs but this will be my first NEW one. I was trying to find info on selecting options that are not listed. After much back & forth with multiple customer service agents I was told that the ordering process no longer allows options beyond what is listed as available.

Does anyone know if there is a way around this or must I get what is available then make changes after receiving the truck?
THe build process online is far from perfect, so there may be options that your dealer can include in an order that you are not seeing. I don't think they are going to do any "custom" options at the factory.

Cbow

Reaction score
Back on topic now, is everyone still getting 10-15% off MSRP ?
LOL, great thread, but I'm interested to know what's happening now as well. Buying a used 19 or 20 makes no sense at this point when 10K more gets you something brand new (if people are still getting 15% off MSRP). I know the model year end is coming up in a couple months. Will dealerships be more willing to deal on 2021s when the 2022 start to come out?

notoriouskeef

Reaction score
LOL, great thread, but I'm interested to know what's happening now as well. Buying a used 19 or 20 makes no sense at this point when 10K more gets you something brand new (if people are still getting 15% off MSRP). I know the model year end is coming up in a couple months. Will dealerships be more willing to deal on 2021s when the 2022 start to come out?
the dealerships in my area will not discount anything b/c none of them have any in stock. If your dealer has a plethora of trucks they can't sell they will discount them. However, that is not the case these days, at least in my area.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think pricing won't ease up until all the delays/shortages in parts and labor are well clear and new trucks are flowing onto or overflowing dealer lots. I'm thinking it could be a while though because there could be a lot of people that are waiting to buy a new vehicle until shortages and prices come down. It will take some time for equilibrium to be established. Also, I wouldn't expect a ton of incentives anytime soon.

There are still dealers out there that are willing to deal. I was inquiring about 2500 prices and some said MSRP, but not all of them.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I signed up for treadlightly which got me 1% below invoice. My dealer never heard of it before and they honored it. If you sign up you have to be a member for over a month though. I contacted prolly 30 dealers within 1,000 miles of me looking to order one and 2 of them promised deals on orders (waiting for over a month on their "deals") never heard from them so I just got fed up and bought one local. The other dealers just told me I'm paying sticker plus whatever rebates I qualify for for the month I get it. No haggling, it is what it is.

This was the first time my Ram dealer even had a truck that interested me in stock and I check them several times a week. I shot over there to look at it and while I was looking at it someone was trying to buy it lol. Chalk it up to the pandemic b/c 95% of dealers will sell it to the next guy if you don't take it. When my lease is over hopefully it will be back to the time dealers are begging me for a deal.

I originally wanted a GMC but their leases SUCK! My local dealer is huge and they had NOTHING on the lot and everything they had being built or coming in was sold already.
Why don't you look into an order from Aaron in Louisiana or Phillip in Washington state? They will give you invoice - 6% or so. Then just pay to have it shipped, about $1 per mile. Lots of forum members here have gone that route. I just got invoice - holdback from the dealer in Sheboygan, WI (about $1800 more than Phillip, and $1500 more than Aaron, but I don't need to pay for shipping and can trade locally for the sales tax benefits).

MKEAT

Reaction score
Why don't you look into an order from Aaron in Louisiana or Phillip in Washington state? They will give you invoice - 6% or so. Then just pay to have it shipped, about $1 per mile. Lots of forum members here have gone that route. I just got invoice - holdback from the dealer in Sheboygan, WI (about $1800 more than Phillip, and $1500 more than Aaron, but I don't need to pay for shipping and can trade locally for the sales tax benefits).
What dealer in Sheboygan? I’m in the area and ready to put in an order on a 22.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What dealer in Sheboygan? I’m in the area and ready to put in an order on a 22.
Sheboygan Chrysler Center. It is the only Chrysler dealer in Sheboygan. Ask for Joel.

Great to work with. I got invoice - holdback - rebates on a April 30 order. PM sent with more info.

Users who are viewing this thread