5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer is telling me I must pay MSRP if I special order

momo

Reaction score
I'm trying to special order a 2019 RAM 1500 Limited. No dealer has what I'm looking for so the only option is to build it on the RAM website and special order it.

The salesguy sent me the message below.

Questions is : Does anyone have any experience with special ordering the 2019 RAM? Does one get less discount if it is a special order?

-------------
Without the RAMBOX option the price would be $64,485.
Thats what the MSRP would be without the RAMBOX. When you special order a car from the manufacturer there is no negotiating the price of the car because you are requesting the manufacturer build it specifically for you which takes production time away from other cars.
-----------

Last edited:

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm trying to special order a 2019 RAM 1500 Limited. No dealer has what I'm looking for so the only option is to build it on the RAM website and special order it.

Questions is : Does anyone have any experience with special ordering the 2019 RAM?

-------------
Thats what the MSRP would be without the RAMBOX. When you special order a car from the manufacturer there is no negotiating the price of the car because you are requesting the manufacturer build it specifically for you which takes production time away from other cars.
-----------
Yes, my truck was a special order. I built it exactly how I wanted it. NO ONE pays MSRP price thats just crazy. If a dealership told me to pay MSRP I would walk away very fast. They are trying to scam you. The majority of us on this forum are special orders and the most of us got between 6-11k off MSRP.

momo

Reaction score
That's what I figured but I was not sure with RAM as this is my first truck.

Without sharing the details would you say you paid what you would have paid if they had it in stock?

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dont under stand your question but to be honest you should easily get 5k off MSRP. It seems like alot of us have gotten at least that on our special orders. Dont get screwed man this dealership appears to be trying that. Walk away and go to another. I attached my POC. Disregard my handwriting. Every truck has a POC and you should request to see it. If a truck is on the lot it has a POC and if you special order it you also will have a POC before you walk out the door.

Attachments

• POC 2.jpg
    POC 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 431

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dont under stand your question but to be honest you should easily get 5k off MSRP. It seems like alot of us have gotten at least that on our special orders. Dont get screwed man this dealership appears to be trying that. Walk away and go to another. I attached my POC. Disregard my handwriting. Every truck has a POC and you should request to see it. If a truck is on the lot it has a POC and if you special order it you also will have a POC before you walk out the door.
On the bottom you will see "HB" which is hold back you should easily be able to get that amount off your car plus any other rebates and specials going on. You then will see "FFP" which stands for Family and Friends price and then you will see "EP" which is employee pricing. Normally you have to have a code from an FCA employee for FFP and EP but some claim on here they have received FFP and EP pricing without this FCA code from an FCA employee.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I figured but I was not sure with RAM as this is my first truck.

Without sharing the details would you say you paid what you would have paid if they had it in stock?

Shady dealer for sure. I think many members here are getting ~15% off MSRP, special order or not. Bare minimum would be invoice minus rebates as a starting point. I'd say the tricky thing about getting a dealer who is clearly playing games upfront, is the games they'll play upon closing, like crazy lowball offers for trade or "oh, that was only if you use our financing at 10%, etc. If you have no trade in, I'd get the deal ironed out with the understanding that you'll be writing a check (from you or credit union) when the truck is delivered. Hopefully that can keep them honest in writing about what to expect come closing. I think the crazy deals that pop up (in my head, 20% off) are going to be trucks the dealer is hoping to get off the lot, but MSRP for a special order is offensive. Best of luck!

glennf14

Reaction score

Questions is : Does anyone have any experience with special ordering the 2019 RAM? Does one get less discount if it is a special order?

-------------
-----------
Take your business to a different dealership. This one is being dishonest and it will only get worse once you’re physically there, etc.

Go to the RAM website and type in your zip code to see the closest dealers within XX miles and email all of them individually with what you would like on your truck. And ask for a quote including all fees, taxes, and title, etc. (the “out the door price”).

You’ll be able to quickly get a survey of a bunch of prices and start negotiating off of the best 3 or 4. You’ll be able to make the dealers compete with each other. It’s important to not physically go to the dealership until all the numbers are worked out and you’ve both agreed to them. If you get there and they start playing games and changing the deal, ask for the GM or just leave.

Hope this helps!

alow

Reaction score
Whatever you do make sure you dont use that dealership. Dont haggle with them or use anything to talk them down just walk away. If thats what they are like up front they will try to hose you elsewhere too.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever you do make sure you dont use that dealership. Dont haggle with them or use anything to talk them down just walk away. If thats what they are like up front they will try to hose you elsewhere too.

I agree with the above plan from @glennf14 and @alow ’s advice... price compare from the comfort of your computer first and go somewhere that offers normal competitive pricing... but if this *expletive* salesman is at the ONLY dealership reasonably available then at least request from the manager a salesperson who won’t throw bs like that at you. Also, be confident... confident in what you want and confident in the price you are (and are not) willing to pay. Unscrupulous salespeople out there prey on customer lack of confidence by pulling the crap you experienced. You have started very well by researching online and asking for advice!

I found out for $100 you can join tread lightly and get 2 FCA affiliate codes per year which will get you 1% below invoice which works out to almost 10% below MSRP without any haggling. And you support a good cause.

https://www.treadlightly.org/old/join/fcusa-affiliates-reward-program/

@JXL118 you beat me to it! @momo regarding Tread Lightly, dealers have to honor the FCA affiliate pricing. It is good/fair though not the lowest out there. My special ordered Bighorn price was MSRP -$4000 (Affiliate discount 1% below invoice) -$3000 (June incentives). Be aware you have to be a member for 30 days technically (dealer may check your sign up date, though if you special order the delay will get you there before you buy it), and you are paying that membership fee so consider it part of your pricing. I am now a Tread Lightly member, which you might find is actually a cool org if you read about what they do... and I scored a decent price with no haggling. It is certainly possible to get the same pricing without joining though.

So good luck with your dealer search. I research online, and am willing to travel 1000s of miles to find the GOOD ones. Hey, where are you? Our members can recommend.

Flot

Reaction score
That dealer is trying to screw you into taking one off his lot instead.

Where are you located?

rp781

Reaction score
Either that dealership doesn't know anything or they are completely dishonest. No matter what I wouldn't step foot but in that place.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
I special ordered a Lone Star quad cab. MSRP was 41,125, I paid 32,587. The dealer negotiated price pretty much the same as they would have done if I were purchasing a truck off the lot. Ordered on May 31, took delivery on July 19.

Always a possibility that this was just one shady sales guy and not representative of the dealership - but I would for sure go someplace else. It takes the dealer five minutes to put in an order, and actually saves them money - the truck is sold the minute it arrives, they don't have to advertise it or hold it on their lot for months.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score

-------------
-----------

Just like others have said, that is crazy, go somewhere else.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
this is easy go some where else. a lot of us on this forum ordered our trucks the way we wanted them and none of us paid msrp. always, always go to at least 3 dealerships to get prices. there's been times i went to 4 or 5 to know i would get a good deal. i always tell my sales guy that is what i'm doing. there are good deals out there .

TalibanHater

Reaction score
New member, looking at the Rebel (my dad has one). Everyone here is just really helpful. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for being positive and helping this potential buyer out, and probably me too when I'm ready to find a dealer and start negotiating.

You guys rock

alow

Reaction score
I think we all want to give the help we wish we would have had in deals past. Alot of really good helpful folks with good advice on here for sure. Remember to throw up where you are so we can give feedback on dealers and places to shop.

Fidomac

Reaction score

-------------
-----------
Wrong. I got 10,000 off with order in okc

Users who are viewing this thread