5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Flak !

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I purchased from Mark Dodge, over 1000 miles from my home, for all the reasons common to anyone in the know on this forum. This distance precludes me ever taking it there for service etc. Now im taking flak from my local dealers, of which only one would even talk to me, because i didnt purchase from them !
I gave these dealers the chance to sell me a truck, but they all missed the Mark :) by several thousand bucks.
Im getting tired of the "did you buy it from us ?" B/S, and i tell them politely that i gave them a chance !

I have a paint issue that will be a warranty repair and this dealers body shop tells me they only "have time" to work on vehicles that we sold. Now, i get it to a certain degree if they are overloaded, and they were, with a whole line of Jeeps with paint issues he pointed out to me.

I suspect this is a problem for all of us that purchased elsewhere, Yes ?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased from Mark Dodge, over 1000 miles from my home, for all the reasons common to anyone in the know on this forum. This distance precludes me ever taking it there for service etc. Now im taking flak from my local dealers, of which only one would even talk to me, because i didnt purchase from them !
I gave these dealers the chance to sell me a truck, but they all missed the Mark :) by several thousand bucks.
Im getting tired of the "did you buy it from us ?" B/S, and i tell them politely that i gave them a chance !

I have a paint issue that will be a warranty repair and this dealers body shop tells me they only "have time" to work on vehicles that we sold. Now, i get it to a certain degree if they are overloaded, and they were, with a whole line of Jeeps with paint issues he pointed out to me.

You have some crappy dealers around you. Warranty work, is warranty work. It all pays the same. Doesn't matter where you bought the vehicle from. They obviously don't care about earning you as a future customer with their attitudes

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It all pays the same.
Yes warranty work pays, 20-30% less than insurance work/customer pay. If the body shops are busy why would they take that hit?

I know this happens frequently with warranty paint concerns. Many dealerships won't even try to do paint claims, it's a pain for them to get covered(sometimes). Then if the dealer doesn't have a body shop, you have to convince an outside shop to do it for what you tell them.

You get what you pay for. It works both ways.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes warranty work pays, 20-30% less than insurance work/customer pay. If the body shops are busy why would they take that hit?

I know this happens frequently with warranty paint concerns. Many dealerships won't even try to do paint claims, it's a pain for them to get covered(sometimes). Then if the dealer doesn't have a body shop, you have to convince an outside shop to do it for what you tell them.

You get what you pay for. It works both ways.
I'm just saying, the dealer denying to do the work because the vehicle wasn't bought from them is a bogus excuse. There should be pushback from corporate for denying warranty work to an owner. Doesn't matter if it's paint/body or mechanical.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What happens if you bought it near where you lived then moved to where are you now? Same thing. Your dealers suck.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Maybe something @RamCares can help with?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just saying, the dealer denying to do the work because the vehicle wasn't bought from them is a bogus excuse. There should be pushback from corporate for denying warranty work to an owner. Doesn't matter if it's paint/body or mechanical.
This isn't the first time we have heard of this, happens in all car lines. There are dealers that will not do paint claims at all.

Sometimes spending a little extra goes a long way. Do your research and see if you are really getting a good deal in the long run.

He can always pay for the repair and submit for reimbursement.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't the first time we have heard of this, happens in all car lines. There are dealers that will not do paint claims at all.

Sometimes spending a little extra goes a long way. Do your research and see if you are really getting a good deal in the long run.

He can always pay for the repair and submit for reimbursement.
How was he to know his local dealers are total asshats when it comes to warranty work?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How was he to know his local dealers are total asshats when it comes to warranty work?
Idk maybe ask, what do I get for the extra price of I buy a truck from you vs some place a 1000 miles away?

He made the choice, my advice is keep looking I'm sure there is a dealer that will fix it. I know mine will, does the warranty admin like it, no. Does the body shop like it, no.

You want more info, the dealership body shop does not have to do the repairs. Any body shop can perform the repairs, it's a sublet repair from the service department. All he has to do is get it approved and the find a body shop that will do it for that price.

magnetized

Reaction score
You're saying he should have let his local dealer hose him so they would be more willing to do warranty work? F all of that noise.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Most dealerships love conquest service customers, since that's where a lot of the profit comes from, more than the actual purchase of the vehicle.

But I guess with paint work and the fact it's warranty with the lower margins, maybe that's where this attitude is coming from?

As mentioned, try another dealer close by as well, could be completely 180 in attitude.

I had a situation once where the dealer closest to me tried to blame me for the issue, but drove 10 miles away to another dealer that not only covered it but gave me a loaner.

Last edited:

cerbo

Reaction score
I ve never had this happen to me in decades of buying new cars from non local dealers. A few times when entering service dept I tell them I just moved here, LOL. It was true once. I usually find a big disconnect between sales and service.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only time it's ever made a difference, in my experience, was in San Diego. The dealer Unused for service would provide a loaner vehicle if you bought your vehicle from them. If you didn't buy the vehicle from them, you didn't get a loaner

dajogejr

Reaction score
I’ve had crappy dealer service, but never due to buying it elsewhere.
I didn’t know about Mark Dodge when I bought my last two trucks…but I do now.

Users who are viewing this thread