5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Estimated Maintenance Costs for EcoDiesel

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I called my dealer to schedule my 10,000 mile service noting that I performed my oil & oil filter myself and would just need my tires rotated in addition to the multipoint inspection. I like to have dealers look my vehicles over primarily to stay ahead of any warranty issues so an hour of technician time is generally worth it to me. They sent me this which is mind-blowing. Their tire rotation cost is quite insane. I can do the tires myself as I have a floor jack & jack stands but this is...well excessive.

Those of you who do your own maintenance or are considering doing your own maintenance...look at all of the money you'll save:
that is for a diesel of course it is more. :)

tom318

Reaction score
that is for a diesel of course it is more. :)
There really isn't a good reason for it to be more though (maybe on the oil)......I bet they charge more to do my "diesel" brakes vs. the Hemi. I hate dealers, I'm even hesitant to take it in for warranty work. Be nice if they could just confirm its covered under warranty and give me the parts to fix it myself.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
There really isn't a good reason for it to be more though (maybe on the oil)......I bet they charge more to do my "diesel" brakes vs. the Hemi. I hate dealers, I'm even hesitant to take it in for warranty work. Be nice if they could just confirm its covered under warranty and give me the parts to fix it myself.
my son has a diesel and he takes it to an independent service place and prices are double a gas

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
$320 for an oil change, is that a typo? Good grief, thought I had it bad when I drove a 1990 Cummins for a while. 13 quart oil change, bought my oil in 5 gallon buckets

tom318

Reaction score
my son has a diesel and he takes it to an independent service place and prices are double a gas
I totally get it because its true. The oil could cost more $$ and RAM makes the oil filter for these Ecodiesels stupid expensive for no legitimate reason.

JGRaider

Reaction score
$320 for an oil change, is that a typo? Good grief, thought I had it bad when I drove a 1990 Cummins for a while. 13 quart oil change, bought my oil in 5 gallon buckets

I do it myself, but I could also buy the Amsoil oil and oil filter (about $100) and take it to the oil change place and they'll do it for $30. A good alternative if you don't want to do it yourself. Dealers and their service departments are crooks.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just purchased three each 5 quart containers of one of the oils that meets the Chrysler spec (Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40) and a genuine Mopar oil filter (68507598AA) from Walmart. I ordered online and they delivered it to my door for a total of $101.12 including tax. Granted, I only need 8.5 quarts to do the job and will have 7.5 quarts remaining for the next job but a heck of a lot cheaper than the dealer…and I’ll know the job is done correctly! And yes, I save the receipt, take a picture of the jugs with the filter, another pic of the old filter after it has been replaced and the front of the filter box for warranty purposes.

Mopar 68507598A Oil Filter - $47.29
Quaker State 5W-40 Euro Full Synthetic 5 Quart Jug - $15.96 each - $3.19 per quart (8.5 qts x $3.19 = $27.12)
Total Cost of Doing it Myself - $74.41 per oil change

I even took the oil oil to Walmart for free disposal and had to complete their log for the 8.5 quarts of old oil and filter. I asked if they keep those records and she said they do for seven years. I can always ask for a copy (based upon the date of my oil change and the date I dropped the oil at Walmart) as additional proof of the oil change if FCA ever wishes to get nasty about me doing my own.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Grandma and Grandpa have bought all of theis vehicles with cash from her local dealer for the last 60 years. She swears by them and won’t go to anybody else. Just recently she had to have her battery replaced. She took it to them to do it. They charged her over $500 to replace a battery. That kind of stuff just angers the hell out of me.

o_ODid they put a Lithium Ion battery in???

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
o_ODid they put a Lithium Ion battery in???
Just a bunch of scumbags taking advantage of an old lady that has given them all of her business her whole life.
I can’t even put into words how much I hate car dealers. Service and sales

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First week dating my GF (now wife) and she was complaining about how expensive her Kia is to service. I asked for the receipt. they charged her $99 for an engine air filter back in 2011.

I started doing her maintenance after that.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
dont you guys have ram care, ive owned a 19, 20, now 21 and ive never paid for an oil change
Ramcare is only for trucks sold in Texas.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Ramcare is only for trucks sold in Texas.

Well isn't that a bunch of crap. What about the rest of us, we must be Swiss cheese!!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another perk of living in Texas! Does your dealership hammer on the drain plug with an impact gun and over fill the oil too?
And miss the oil filler neck at least twice providing an oily bath for the top, sides and bottom of your new engine? Other perks of Ramcare include grease on a new seat, dirty steering wheel from 16 year old oil service technician hands, a scratch on the passenger side quarter panel from God knows what, free tools left under the hood (crescent wrench one on trip and a pair of pliers for God knows what on another) and most importantly you never know if they utilized the oil for an Ecodiesel or the oil for Hemi.

Ramcare isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and serves as one more opportunity for a dealer to screw up your truck.

Roddog2220

Reaction score
And miss the oil filler neck at least twice providing an oily bath for the top, sides and bottom of your new engine? Other perks of Ramcare include grease on a new seat, dirty steering wheel from 16 year old oil service technician hands, a scratch on the passenger side quarter panel from God knows what, free tools left under the hood (crescent wrench one on trip and a pair of pliers for God knows what on another) and most importantly you never know if they utilized the oil for an Ecodiesel or the oil for Hemi.

Ramcare isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and serves as one more opportunity for a dealer to screw up your truck.
man you need to grow some balls and learn how to make sure your dealer is your *****

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
man you need to grow some balls and learn how to make sure your dealer is your *****
Naw, I want a mechanic who loves his job, takes pride in a job well done, and doesn’t do it simply because I have a big sack. I’ve been to several dealers within a fifty miles radius since 2011 and have yet to find “that” kind of a dealership/mechanic. So, I do my own meticulous maintenance knowing it is done correctly and with zero regret or aggravation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread