5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Estimated Maintenance Costs for EcoDiesel

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I called my dealer to schedule my 10,000 mile service noting that I performed my oil & oil filter myself and would just need my tires rotated in addition to the multipoint inspection. I like to have dealers look my vehicles over primarily to stay ahead of any warranty issues so an hour of technician time is generally worth it to me. They sent me this which is mind-blowing. Their tire rotation cost is quite insane. I can do the tires myself as I have a floor jack & jack stands but this is...well excessive.

Those of you who do your own maintenance or are considering doing your own maintenance...look at all of the money you'll save:
download

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Replace Cabin Air FITLER" LOL $81? HAHAHAH. These prices are out of this world BS.
$71.59 for an engine air filter?
Fuel Filter - $200
I cannot get this out of my head.

I can buy every part I need both air filters, fuel filter, oil filter, oil for $200 without trying.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on or trust a dealer tech to look over any of my vehicles, find a reputable local independent shop and build a good relationship with them to get your work done.
FYI. Cabin air filter is a 15 minute job after you know how to do it, engine air filter is the same with getting your tools out. My vehicles will probably never see a dealer unless there's warranty work which I won't have for a while anyways.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchase my cabin air filters (WIX 24579) from Amazon for $13.96 each and change it in both our Rams every six months. It takes me less than five minutes per truck…I would NOT pay a dealer to do it as it’s as simple as changing the filter on your home furnace or AC system.

Also, you will find the Wix has a far superior filter media than the Mopar cabin air filter. Compare the two in your hands and you’ll be amazed.

Last edited:

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on or trust a dealer tech to look over any of my vehicles, find a reputable local independent shop and build a good relationship with them to get your work done.
FYI. Cabin air filter is a 15 minute job after you know how to do it, engine air filter is the same with getting your tools out. My vehicles will probably never see a dealer unless there's warranty work which I won't have for a while anyways.

Fair point, I like the receipt "CDJR, 10K mile Multi-Point Inspection" tied to my VIN instead of an independent shop even if their work is BS it's just that receipt since I do also have a 125K/8 Year Mopar warranty I don't want to ever be questioned.

But to the rest of your poiunts
Oil - I have gallons of it in my basement through a sponsor deal w/ Motul
Oil Filter - $50
Fuel Filter - $45
Air Filter - $25
Cabin Air - $15
Rear Diff Fluid - ??? haven't thought about that yet but should soon just to check

We're talking about a $200 maximum cost for the 20K mile service for me to do it myself and 2 hours of time and maybe 1 extra hour to rotate my tires. I honestly don't know how they arrived at $1200.

tom318

Reaction score
I'm glad you posted this. These costs are absolutely ridiculous, basically criminal. Experienced mechanic should be able to do the fuel filter in less than 20min, cabin filter in 5min, air filter 10min. $320 for oil change!!!!! my god, that's more than double what it costs for my BMW M5. For anyone who doesn't do their own service or cant.....this is probably a show stopper to buying an ED. They are charging 400-500hr for labor basically. Cant wait to do my 30k service myself this weekend knowing I saved almost $700.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I called my dealer to schedule my 10,000 mile service noting that I performed my oil & oil filter myself and would just need my tires rotated in addition to the multipoint inspection. I like to have dealers look my vehicles over primarily to stay ahead of any warranty issues so an hour of technician time is generally worth it to me. They sent me this which is mind-blowing. Their tire rotation cost is quite insane. I can do the tires myself as I have a floor jack & jack stands but this is...well excessive.

Those of you who do your own maintenance or are considering doing your own maintenance...look at all of the money you'll save:
download
Be certain to get an invite to the Service Manager’s college graduation ceremony for his kid…at those prices, you’ll be helping put him/her through college! 😉

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I purchase my cabin air filters (WIX 24579) from Amazon for $13.96 each and change it in both our Rams every six months. It takes me less than five minutes per truck…I would pay a dealer to do it as it’s as simple as changing the filter on your home furnace or AC system.

Also, you will find the Wix has a far superior filter media than the Mopar cabin air filter. Compare the two in your hands and you’ll be amazed.
Be interesting to see what the new N95 filter looks like for the RAM "Clean Air System" compared to the "old" version....

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score

download
The pricing on here is literal insanity. Like some others have said it's actually criminal to charge these prices. They must deal with a LOT of clueless customers to remotely get away with this......My dealer sends me coupons regularly for EcoDiesel oil changes and they're around $165 with the proper synthetic and Magneti Marelli filter and that includes the "inspection" as well.....

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if you go in there and ask them to do the 10K service, they bill you for mounting and balancing 1 tire, 2 tires, 3 tires, and 4 tires? That makes no sense? It's either/or not "all of the above" on how many tires are mounted/balanced.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last time I was in for an oil change the dealer tech told me my truck doesn’t have a fuel filter…. They also said I was due for a cabin and engine air filter based upon mileage without even looking at them (they had both been replaced by myself the day before.)

I know they are in business to make money, but some of the prices for dealer services are insane. The biggest problem nowadays is that vehicle owners know little to nothing about the cars they drive and assume the dealer knows what’s correct so they just go with it, not me tho.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Be interesting to see what the new N95 filter looks like for the RAM "Clean Air System" compared to the "old" version....
Most likely, it will be made on the slopes of Italy from the manes of a special herd of unicorns and the price will be $195 each...and failure to utilize will void the warranty. ;)

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like how the dealer recommends a power steering fluid exchange when we have electric power steering. And also a transmission fluid exchange at 50k when it isn’t a service listed in the owners manual.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Why the hell are they charging for mount and balance tires multiple times and alignment after a tire rotation? Seems suspect to me, I’d find a different ram dealer or go independent with a bogus quote like that.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be nice to know the name of the dealer so we can all avoid them…and send them their “Bend Over of the Month” award!

Camelot

Reaction score
So tire rotation is $51.98 from what I can see. The other prices listed is in case you need mount and balance and need an alignment. That's at least how I interpret this.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So tire rotation is $51.98 from what I can see. The other prices listed is in case you need mount and balance and need an alignment. That's at least how I interpret this.
You are correct however I’d do it myself with my own jack and save $51.98 plus tax and the ridiculous shop supply charge they will hit you with…

Then again, I swapped the factory junk Nexan tires at the 300 mile mark in my odometer for Michelin Defenders at Discount Tire - that come with free lifetime rotation AND balancing every 6000-8000 miles. After trading my junk factory Nexans for my Michelin’s and with rebate I paid just over $560. That means at $51.98 for a simple swap at the dealer I will have my tires paid off with eleven free balance and rotate at Discount Tire.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I would never let a dealer touch my vehicle unless it was for warranty work. And I even get an uneasy feeling about that. If you can find a dealer service center that you trust and are comfortable with that is worth a lot.

My Grandma and Grandpa have bought all of theis vehicles with cash from her local dealer for the last 60 years. She swears by them and won’t go to anybody else. Just recently she had to have her battery replaced. She took it to them to do it. They charged her over $500 to replace a battery. That kind of stuff just angers the hell out of me.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
for tire rotation I go to discount tire and buy a certificate for lifetime rotation and rebalance.
then just show up and it is free.
save plenty in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread