5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Diagnostic Charge?

Valdmira

Reaction score
So I'm having a problem with my 2020 Ram 1500 "lurching" forward when I am braking. The truck has under 5K on it. I called the Ram Customer Care center in Auburn Hills and spoke with a rep, he recommended that I take the vehicle in to a local dealer and have them run diagnostics on the truck. I wanted to verify that there would be no charges for this as my vehicle is under manufacturer warranty, I was told that there would be a diagnostic charge when I brought it in. I haven't heard of this before, is this standard?? I am having a hard time believing I have to pay to find out what is wrong with my brand new truck. Let me know what you all think. Thanks

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve never heard a charge to diagnose something while under warranty. Now I have had instances where they’ve found due to something I’ve done that has caused the problem and then I’ve been charged. Call another dealership and see what they tell you.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never paid for anything on any vehicle as long as it was under warranty. And I don't recall any diagnostic charge ever being discussed either. I agree, try another dealer if you can.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Also why did you call Ram customer care first before discussing with the dealer, or am I reading this wrong ?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also why did you call Ram customer care first before discussing with the dealer, or am I reading this wrong ?
Very good question if that was the case.

FCA, like most other manufacturers, will charge for a diagnostic if that's what is being directly requested by the customer, warranty or no warranty.

However, if there's a problem covered under warranty that brings a customer back to a authorized dealer, any diagnostic time is charged back to the manufacturer as labor under the product warranty.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031474 miles.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just go to the dealer and report the problem. Whatever their process is to diagnose the issue is on them not you. The issue you have is also well known because members here have had it and had it fixed so by now I am pretty sure most dealers will know about it.

Valdmira

Reaction score
Just so you guys know, I wasn't talking to a dealership, I was talking to Ram Customer Service at their headquarters in Auburn Hills, Michigan . I live in New England. I am awaiting a call back "within 24 hours" from a manager. I will keep you posted once I speak to him/her.

Valdmira

Reaction score
I had just come home and wanted to see if this was a problem that Ram was familiar with, of course I was told no, that this was the first he had heard about it. I am awaiting a call from a manager but will ultimately bring the truck and see what they say.

RamCares

Reaction score
I had just come home and wanted to see if this was a problem that Ram was familiar with, of course I was told no, that this was the first he had heard about it. I am awaiting a call from a manager but will ultimately bring the truck and see what they say.

Hi @Valdmira - If you have any trouble hearing from your case manager, please be sure to follow up with us via PM. As long as your concern is determined to be covered under an applicable warranty by your dealer, the diag should not result in any associated fees. Your case manager will be in the best position to advise further given the specifics of your situation.

Mark
RamCares

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

tell them to review the active TSBs .. they will fix it and no cost to you.

Users who are viewing this thread