5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Damage

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ok, I heard through the grapevine that after reading all the replies here, he went into the dealer and demanded a courtesy TRX, to keep his smashed truck, a $500 gift card to Hooters, and a BJ from the sales manager's wife.
Nah. I bet he went in and gave the dealer $5k to get his smashed up truck back and will keep driving it. Dealer isn't obligated to do any more than that.

drumminj

Reaction score
Not sure of the current state of things for the OP, but if you ignore the bickering, a few good suggestions have been made here.

OP, look into "diminished value", as discussed. My understanding is its your legal right to be made whole, which doesn't just include your vehicle being repaired, as the vehicle may function the same, but is worth less due to the repairs (all the comments about carfax, etc).

The amount of loss is estimatable, and as someone else mentioned, there are companies that will estimate this for you based on the details of your vehicle and comparable sales/listings. Basically, how much less would you get for the vehicle were you to try to sell it today, now that it's been damaged and repaired, and the buyer is aware.

I went to court (small claims) over an accident where significant repair of my vehicle was required due to being rear-ended. A diminished value estimate (based on paying a company to estimate the amount of loss of value of the now-repaired vehicle) was absolutely a factor in the negotiation.

Regardless, sorry to hear about this - it sucks, and you're never truly made "whole" as dealing with all of this costs both time and money.

Bob.

Reaction score
With the insane prices today and inflation soaring, I believe the OP just said screw it give me a loaner for a few months and fix my truck. No cash out of my pocket.
Hopefully the repair place won't report the accident so he would have no diminished value to worry about down the road.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
With the insane prices today and inflation soaring, I believe the OP just said screw it give me a loaner for a few months and fix my truck. No cash out of my pocket.
Hopefully the repair place won't report the accident so he would have no diminished value to worry about down the road.
If the dealership is going through their insurance they'll be required to report it.

Rsqswmr69

Reaction score
Ok, all here is the update!

After reading all of your replies I will answer as many questions as I can but here is the Long of the Short.
The dealership is repairing my truck and will have it to me soonest. there was 13k in damages.
The dealer offered me a new truck......They offered me a 2022 1500 Ram Limited 10th-anniversary Fully Decked out......If I pay 18k out of pocket! SMH

And get this, they were offering me the MSRP Value of the truck at $79,790.00 no surprise there, I was talking with the GM of the dealership.
They offered me 62K for my truck and this was their offer as if there was no damage to the truck. I told them I would think about it......I went home and just shook my head. So I did some digging and found the number of the director of sales for the entire chain. We had a very good conversation. He was "aware" of the situation since I called and left a VM for him and emailed him prior to our conversation.
I explained my position on the issue and said when you look at the video...yes there is a video on their CCTV, it was impressive to see that after the guy struck a 2500 Duelly with my 1500 and he kept pushing the 2500 out of the parking stall....to my surprise he said: "there's a video?" When he saw it he called me back and took 10k off their price and negated any additional fees.
Short of the long: They are ordering me a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited and I will be paying exactly what I originally paid when I bought my 2021 (which was well below MSRP at the time). With my bank, I will have the same interest rate and same payments. I will be adding on a year to the loan so it is as if I am starting all over again.
So I get a 10th-anniversary model / MFT with Cargo / 22inch rims / upgraded Uconnect 5 / and everything else I added from their parts department, mud flaps, chrome bug shield, and a few other things. I will transfer my S&B cold air intake mod and oil catch can. Overall I am ok with the deal.
Here is the video:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

After reading all of your replies I will answer as many questions as I can but here is the Long of the Short.
The dealership is repairing my truck and will have it to me soonest. there was 13k in damages.
The dealer offered me a new truck......They offered me a 2022 1500 Ram Limited 10th-anniversary Fully Decked out......If I pay 18k out of pocket! SMH

And get this, they were offering me the MSRP Value of the truck at $79,790.00 no surprise there, I was talking with the GM of the dealership.
They offered me 62K for my truck and this was their offer as if there was no damage to the truck. I told them I would think about it......I went home and just shook my head. So I did some digging and found the number of the director of sales for the entire chain. We had a very good conversation. He was "aware" of the situation since I called and left a VM for him and emailed him prior to our conversation.
I explained my position on the issue and said when you look at the video...yes there is a video on their CCTV, it was impressive to see that after the guy struck a 2500 Duelly with my 1500 and he kept pushing the 2500 out of the parking stall....to my surprise he said: "there's a video?" When he saw it he called me back and took 10k off their price and negated any additional fees.
Short of the long: They are ordering me a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited and I will be paying exactly what I originally paid when I bought my 2021 (which was well below MSRP at the time). With my bank, I will have the same interest rate and same payments. I will be adding on a year to the loan so it is as if I am starting all over again.
So I get a 10th-anniversary model / MFT with Cargo / 22inch rims / upgraded Uconnect 5 / and everything else I added from their parts department, mud flaps, chrome bug shield, and a few other things. I will transfer my S&B cold air intake mod and oil catch can. Overall I am ok with the deal.
Here is the video:

That's great news, and good foot work on your part to make it work, finding the director of sales. If you want things to go your way, sometimes you have to do those things, congrats on the new truck coming in.

On a side note, what the heck was with the guy driving and keeping on the throttle after impact? I can understand the first mistake, but did he panic and just keep his foot on the gas pedal?

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's great news, and good foot work on your part to make it work, finding the director of sales. If you want things to go your way, sometimes you have to do those things, congrats on the new truck coming in.

On a side note, what the heck was with the guy driving and keeping on the throttle after impact? I can understand the first mistake, but did he panic and just keep his foot on the gas pedal?

Agreed, glad the OP got a resolution that was satisfactory to them. And thanks to the OP for coming back to update us on this as well!

That video is something else, that person shouldn't be driving anything, anywhere at all. 100% completely avoidable "accident" and 100% on the human driving it. I hope the other guy whos truck got hit got taken care of equally as well and that the person who did this at least isn't driving vehicles there anymore.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Here is the video:
Glad you were eventually taken care of, but I'd find a new dealer. Maybe the guy who got this all sorted for you could recommend one of his that doesn't suck.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I'm very glad this all worked out to the OP's satisfaction.

That video is astounding. No one who drives like that should ever be behind the wheel of a customer's truck. Tapping a bumper when parking is one thing, but ramming with force into a parked vehicle and then continuously pushing it forward is insane. My guess is that drugs were involved. No one in their right mind would do that unless they had no idea how to drive.

I always dread taking my vehicles in for work to the dealer. I've had new vehicles damaged in a dealer's care too although nothing that bad. I've had the hood dented, an expensive wheel damaged, the paint scratched, and the interior damaged.

Lately, I've been leaving a note on the dash informing them that I took dated photos and a video of the entire vehicle inside and out just before I handed it over to them. I also request that they park it well away from other vehicles until I pick it up. This lets them know beforehand that I'm alert and will know immediately if they do any damage. So far this seems to be working.

This is only fair. Every time I get a loner from a dealer, they first do a walk-over and make it a point to tell me that if I damage it in any way, I'm liable. So now I do the same with them.

2bigalow

Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck, and glad to hear your dealership made things right. I have to agree with the above posts, either drugs were a factor or a possible medical condition. There's no other explanation for that type of accident.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, where's that dude that said this kind of stuff just happens. :LOL:

That doesn't look like something that should be a common occurrence at any dealer.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Another possibility is a disgruntled employee. That looked intentional to me, and it wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. Who knows what goes through people's minds in situations like this.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow yep hope that person no longer has a job like others have said it’s one thing to tap the 2500 bumpers but he kept on going. Glad it’s getting resolved to your satisfaction OP and that your getting into a new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread