5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Damage

Burnzie

Reaction score
That's what the Dealer gets when they hire a minimum wage, $15.00 an hour IDIOT who's texting his buddies "Hey look at me I'm driving somebody's $70,000 truck around ".

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is no different than you getting into an accident on the road. You Can't expect insurance to give you a new car every time you get into an accident just cause you are worried about resale value. I work at the dealer, this happens. It's called an accident. I think your dealer is hell of nice to offer you into a new truck. Most dealers would just repair the damage and give you back the truck. Your best bet is to talk with them regarding price if they offer you into a new truck. Asking them to eat it may not be an option but maybe they can give you a nice discount. If I were you I’d be more worried about the dealers Body Shop repairing it. You should be able to choose what body shop you want to fix it.
It's a little different. He wasn't driving it.

If a dealer did that to my truck and had your attitude about it, they'd lose at least one customer for life and I'd do everything I could to make sure they lost more.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a little different. He wasn't driving it.

If a dealer did that to my truck and had your attitude about it, they'd lose at least one customer for life and I'd do everything I could to make sure they lost more.
Same scenario could happen anywhere. You could be at a restaurant sitting inside and someone hits your car. Are you going to expect their insurance to give you a new one because you weren't driving it? It's a ****ty situation but in reality, the dealer is really only responsible for fixing the truck. They get their insurance involved and that's it. They have no responsibility to give him a new truck just because he is upset about resale value. I'm sure the dealer is going to make the situation right, but you can't walk in there and expect a new truck.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what the Dealer gets when they hire a minimum wage, $15.00 an hour IDIOT who's texting his buddies "Hey look at me I'm driving somebody's $70,000 truck around ".
dealer employees who make 100k a yr have gotten into car accidents on the lot, doesn't just happen to minimum wage car wash workers.

mike146

Reaction score
I would do my best to keep the number as low as possible, but would rather pay the difference for the new truck. Obviously it has to be the truck you want, options, etc. But as others have said, you will never be happy again.

Burnzie

Reaction score
dealer employees who make 100k a yr have gotten into car accidents on the lot, doesn't just happen to minimum wage car wash workers.
I would assume that if I have an employee making 100K a year and another one making $15.00 an hour, and a truck needed a car wash, that the 100K person would have more important things to do.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would assume that if I have an employee making 100K a year and another one making $15.00 an hour, and a truck needed a car wash, that the 100K person would have more important things to do.
all dealer employees drive cars through the lot. Sales man drive cars all the time, sometimes to detail, sometimes to the shop, other times to their client for a road test. techs drive cars through the lot, to detail, to the carwash, out to the road for a road test. Employees making 6 figures aren't just sitting behind a desk for 8-12 hrs a day

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same scenario could happen anywhere. You could be at a restaurant sitting inside and someone hits your car. Are you going to expect their insurance to give you a new one because you weren't driving it? It's a ****ty situation but in reality, the dealer is really only responsible for fixing the truck. They get their insurance involved and that's it. They have no responsibility to give him a new truck just because he is upset about resale value. I'm sure the dealer is going to make the situation right, but you can't walk in there and expect a new truck.
You can keep trying to explain it away, but it's not the same. This isn't some random person on the street hitting your vehicle. This is a dealer damaging a customer's car while in their possession. Calling it good because their insurance is paying for it isn't the answer to address their incompetence.

And come off this "you can't expect a new car" point. There's somewhere between that and throwing your hands up and acting like the dealer has no obligation to do anything else.

I get it. You work at a dealer and are defensive about it, but they need to do better.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Regardless of who drives the cars, I wonder which of these employees is more likely to take better care of your truck while they're driving it...

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can keep trying to explain it away, but it's not the same. This isn't some random person on the street hitting your vehicle. This is a dealer damaging a customer's car while in their possession. Calling it good because their insurance is paying for it isn't the answer to address their incompetence.

And come off this "you can't expect a new car" point. There's somewhere between that and throwing your hands up and acting like the dealer has no obligation to do anything else.

I get it. You work at a dealer and are defensive about it, but they need to do better.
Me working at the dealer has nothing to do with this. I hate my dealer that I work at as much as the next customer does, What I can’t stand are people thinking they are owed the world when something happens to the vehicle at the dealer. Just because your vehicle was at the car dealership and it was involved in an accident doesn’t mean you are owed a new vehicle. That is the expectation here is everybody thinks the dealer owes them a new vehicle. We are not talking about a brand new vehicle with 5 miles on it that was damaged before the customer took it. As I said before the dealers obligation is to fix the truck. If the insurance adjuster deems the vehicles a total loss then it is their job to pay the customer. Expecting right off the bat for the dealer to give you a brand new vehicle is stupid. Yeah I would be pissed off as much as the next customer would but I’m not gonna go into the dealer and demand they give me a brand-new vehicle because it’s not gonna happen. I would expect them to fix the truck and give me a loaner while they were fixing it.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Me working at the dealer has nothing to do with this. I hate my dealer that I work at as much as the next customer does, What I can’t stand are people thinking they are owed the world when something happens to the vehicle at the dealer. Just because your vehicle was at the car dealership and it was involved in an accident doesn’t mean you are owed a new vehicle. That is the expectation here is everybody thinks the dealer owes them a new vehicle. We are not talking about a brand new vehicle with 5 miles on it that was damaged before the customer took it. As I said before the dealers obligation is to fix the truck. If the insurance adjuster deems the vehicles a total loss then it is their job to pay the customer. Expecting right off the bat for the dealer to give you a brand new vehicle is stupid. Yeah I would be pissed off as much as the next customer would but I’m not gonna go into the dealer and demand they give me a brand-new vehicle because it’s not gonna happen. I would expect them to fix the truck and give me a loaner while they were fixing it.
It has everything to do with it. You wouldn't be so defensive about it if it didn't.

The dealer has an obligation to make this right. Period. You can argue and complain about it all you want, but that's the bottom line. Sure, they can do what you're doing and pretend that this is no big deal and sometimes this just happens, but that's not what they should do.

They should give him a new truck at a deep discount. Hell, in today's market they might not lose much at all to do that. What they'd gain by doing the right thing would be worth anything they lost.

Next step would be to correct whatever incompetence led to this happening so you don't have to lose money next time you're washing a customer's truck.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I attached the damage photos and also A claim has already been filed by the dealer's Ins. There is also a video That I can't seem to upload.
I'd love to see that video because that seems to be a lot of damage for a parking lot accident. Dealer parking lots are usually cramped spaces so anything more than idle speed is too fast for the lots. If it was my truck I'd be pissed

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It has everything to do with it. You wouldn't be so defensive about it if it didn't.

The dealer has an obligation to make this right. Period. You can argue and complain about it all you want, but that's the bottom line. Sure, they can do what you're doing and pretend that this is no big deal and sometimes this just happens, but that's not what they should do.

They should give him a new truck at a deep discount. Hell, in today's market they might not lose much at all to do that. What they'd gain by doing the right thing would be worth anything they lost.

Next step would be to correct whatever incompetence led to this happening so you don't have to lose money next time you're washing a customer's truck.
Yes the dealer has an obligation to make it right which is fixing the truck. Their obligation doesn’t mean giving the customer a brand new vehicle for free just because the vehicle was involved in an accident. Some of you have the same mentality as the people you see on the news demanding millions of dollars when somebody calls them a bad word. Just want a payday. I have a 21 ram just like half of everybody in here and if I took my truck to the dealer for warranty work and it was damaged I would want them to make it right which means fixing the truck back to brand new condition.

BigD

Reaction score
That is a whole lot of damage ! I would talk to a lawyer ASAP ! No way would I want that truck back. That thing is damn near totalled!! That truck will give u constant problems from now on. One option u could do is trade it in to a different dealer after u get it back. When I traded in my last truck they looked at it for about 2 minutes. They started it quick. Didn't even test drive it. They sure didn't check carfax. That could be your plan B if the lawyer says u don't have a case.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I agree with Mike, I would try to get the best price on a new truck.

A short story for your entertainment: Last July I was looking for a new truck. I fell for the Power Wagon but could not find any in my area. There was one on the lot down in North Carolina. I flew down there, picked up the airport courtesy car and drove to the dealer's lot. They showed me the truck, it had a large dent, driver's side, rear door and bed. Told me it's a easy fix. My wife's car had a dent from a stray shopping cart. We did a PDR, paintless dent repair, that's an easy fix, this was not an easy fix. They showed me the insurance invoice for the repair, a couple of thousand dollars that they were billing the insurance company. It included rear lights and other parts that were clearly not affected. I walked, or should I say I took off?

Bottom line, they fraudulently billed the insurance company for repairs, fixed the truck and sold it to an unsuspecting customer at MSRP as brand new. Be real careful with car dealers and politicians.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the dealer has an obligation to make it right which is fixing the truck. Their obligation doesn’t mean giving the customer a brand new vehicle for free just because the vehicle was involved in an accident. Some of you have the same mentality as the people you see on the news demanding millions of dollars when somebody calls them a bad word. Just want a payday. I have a 21 ram just like half of everybody in here and if I took my truck to the dealer for warranty work and it was damaged I would want them to make it right which means fixing the truck back to brand new condition.
If you're telling us that fixing the truck and giving it back would make you happy, I think you're full of it. Or maybe you just really love working at the dealer more than you'll admit. Could go either way.

Your analogies are getting worse. The dealer's incompetence causing major damage is the same as suing someone because they're mean to you? Give it a rest.

And there you go again with this "free truck" BS. It's not a free truck. It's just math. It's not that hard, either. Take the dealer's cost (actual cost) of the new truck and subtract the value of the fixed truck (sales price, not trade in) and there's the number they start with. Figure out how much of that the dealer needs to eat for their **** up, and done.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is a whole lot of damage ! I would talk to a lawyer ASAP ! No way would I want that truck back. That thing is damn near totalled!! That truck will give u constant problems from now on. One option u could do is trade it in to a different dealer after u get it back. When I traded in my last truck they looked at it for about 2 minutes. They started it quick. Didn't even test drive it. They sure didn't check carfax. That could be your plan B if the lawyer says u don't have a case.
What do you really think a lawyer is going to tell you? Some of you want to call a lawyer before the dealer has even done anything. I would call a lawyer if the dealer tried to pull some shady ******** over me. Some of you just wanna call a lawyer because you don’t want the truck. I would bet a lawyer would tell you the same **** that the dealers obligation is to fix it, that you aren’t just automatically owed a brand new truck.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score

The only obligation the dealer has is to repair the vehicle their employee damaged. Unless the vehicle is literally brand new with no miles on it there will be no dealer on this planet that will simply hand over the keys to a new vehicle for replacement. It's up to the discretion of the dealer to make the customer as happy as possible by offering a deal on a new vehicle if that was brought up throughout this exchange. I'd surely be ripping pissed if it was my truck but I certainly wouldnt expect the dealer to hand over keys to a new vehicle and say have a nice day. I would however try to get them to heavily discount a new vehicle because I wouldnt want mine back. I've been a mechanic for 30 years and only worked at non dealer repair shops but I'm sooo glad I got out of the private sector 10 years ago because of the public's lack of rational thinking.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only obligation the dealer has is to repair the vehicle their employee damaged. Unless the vehicle is literally brand new with no miles on it there will be no dealer on this planet that will simply hand over the keys to a new vehicle for replacement. It's up to the discretion of the dealer to make the customer as happy as possible by offering a deal on a new vehicle if that was brought up throughout this exchange. I'd surely be ripping pissed if it was my truck but I certainly wouldnt expect the dealer to hand over keys to a new vehicle and say have a nice day. I would however try to get them to heavily discount a new vehicle because I wouldnt want mine back. I've been a mechanic for 30 years and only worked at non dealer repair shops but I'm sooo glad I got out of the private sector 10 years ago because of the public's lack of rational thinking.
Is it just that some of you don't know what obligation means? Help me understand your confusion so I can explain it better.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're telling us that fixing the truck and giving it back would make you happy, I think you're full of it. Or maybe you just really love working at the dealer more than you'll admit. Could go either way.

Your analogies are getting worse. The dealer's incompetence causing major damage is the same as suing someone because they're mean to you? Give it a rest.

And there you go again with this "free truck" BS. It's not a free truck. It's just math. It's not that hard, either. Take the dealer's cost (actual cost) of the new truck and subtract the value of the fixed truck (sales price, not trade in) and there's the number they start with. Figure out how much of that the dealer needs to eat for their **** up, and done.
Yes I would be pissed if my truck was damaged, would I ask for a new truck, probably yes but I would not be mad if they said no. I would expect them to fix it into brand-new condition. Again that is their obligation. And yes some of you are expecting to walk out of there with a brand new truck at no cost. I’d love to see how some of you act if you got into a regular car accident. would you expect the same thing. As said above there’s not gonna be one dealer out there that is going to handover the keys to a brand new truck just because they damaged yours by accident.

Users who are viewing this thread