5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Buyback

Blackhawktech

Reaction score
Does anyone on here know what has to transpire to make a dealership or Dodge buy a vehicle back. I am feed up with my 2019 ram 1500 being broke. It has currently been in the shop since Jan 6. They are still waiting on parts to fix a water leak in the roof. I was thinking about trading but they only offered me $35,600 for my truck with a additional $2000 trade in assistance. So I would be $15,000 upside down in a truck I have owned less than 8 months. I am so mad because my truck is constantly in the shop and I feel like I am getting no help from the dealership. That $2000 is a literal slap in the face!

papac0rn

Reaction score
I had the same situation on my 2019 F150. Dealer was no help and they told me I needed to pay them another $7200 to get a replacement F150. Sorry about your luck. I got fed up and got this Ram. Its been a better experience for me so far but all manufacturers make bad vehicles. . . . Good luck. I feel your pain.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone on here know what has to transpire to make a dealership or Dodge buy a vehicle back. I am feed up with my 2019 ram 1500 being broke. It has currently been in the shop since Jan 6. They are still waiting on parts to fix a water leak in the roof. I was thinking about trading but they only offered me $35,600 for my truck with a additional $2000 trade in assistance. So I would be $15,000 upside down in a truck I have owned less than 8 months. I am so mad because my truck is constantly in the shop and I feel like I am getting no help from the dealership. That $2000 is a literal slap in the face!
First thing you need to do is contact an attorney. Most offer free consultation.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
You need to check your states lemon laws and if you want to pursue, hire a firm that specializes in lemon law cases.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all the trouble. I 2nd the motion to get the details on your state's Lemon Law.

I successfully got Audi to replace a 2003 A6, with a bit of research, some patience, and a ton of persistance (but no lawyer). Once I documented that my State's requirements were met, and certified letters went out, it was not that bad a process. For some States, it's the State where purchased, not where registered.

But I bet your DMV or MVA website, or a little Googling, would provide some initial results. Or a decent lawyer if you'd rather not invest the time.

One last thought: this sh-t happens. Easy to say, but hard to do, but don't let it get to you (too much :)

Keep us posted...

borden72

Reaction score
Definitely get your lemon law details for your state. I would open a case with Ram Customer service. There is an 800 number for them. You can also email the FCA executives. Bring in the Quality Assurance executive. This seems to be a hot issue right now and there may be a shortage on the rear window if that is the issue you have and maybe even the headliner if needed. Dealers are happy to sit on an issue without pushing it to resolve. The above actions can help move it faster. I have a whole list of emails and tactics to make sure your email reaches an exec. They will pass it down to an Executive referral manager and they will contact you.

270wsmhunter

Reaction score
We contacted our state Attorney General who assisted us in getting General Motors to buy back a 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban under the Lemon Law. This was back in 2000 but other than some phone calls, postage, and time we had nothing else vested in the process. We actually came out ahead the way the deal was originally written.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hey Blackhawktech,

Just wanted to give you a heads up that I had a chance to follow up with your private message. Please take a moment to view that and follow up with me when you can.

Mark
RamCares

Blackhawktech

Reaction score
Hey Blackhawktech,

Just wanted to give you a heads up that I had a chance to follow up with your private message. Please take a moment to view that and follow up with me when you can.

Mark
RamCares
So I got a call from ram customer service telling me that there was nothing they could do for me. My information was supposedly forwarded to someone and supposedly I am 100% responsible for the buyback process but wouldn’t tell me how it works. So since the dealership won’t give me any information about a buyback and neither will Chrysler, I think it’s time to contact a attorney. I guess Chrysler doesn’t care about doing right by the customer!

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I got a call from ram customer service telling me that there was nothing they could do for me. My information was supposedly forwarded to someone and supposedly I am 100% responsible for the buyback process but wouldn’t tell me how it works. So since the dealership won’t give me any information about a buyback and neither will Chrysler, I think it’s time to contact a attorney. I guess Chrysler doesn’t care about doing right by the customer!
In which state did you purchase the 1500?

Rich51

Reaction score
As mentioned previously look into your states Lemon Law. I had a 2017 Ram Rebel that I followed the Lemon Law for in Florida and was able to file and have them buy the truck back. It was a long process and you have to keep proof to show you did everything, in my case I had proof that I took the truck in on 4 separate occasions (the law was 3) for the same issue. I sent in the form and required documents and just kept being persistent. Finally I think it was the 5th time when I took it in I told the dealer I was filling for the Lemon Law and they think they finally found a fix however paperwork was started and I was just waiting for the OK. I will say I was mad and frustrated with Ram at the time, however I ended up getting a 2019 Ram and haven't had issues yet. (touch wood) I know the other way in Florida was to have your vehicle in the shop for 30 consecutive days.

Best of luck

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the truck in Alabama.
See if this helps...see attached
Bottom line seems to be:
- documented evidence of 3 repair attempts
- or 30 days out of service
- certified letter to manufacturer (after above)
- manufacturer’s final repair attempt within 7 days unsuccessful
- certified letter to manufacturer threatening cause of action under lemon law
- follow manufacturers dispute resolution (if they have one they have to advise you)
- certified letter to manufacturer advising claim and cause of action under lemon law

If they don’t agree to buyback or replace after that, you would have to get a lawyer and sue them under the lemon law

Attachments

• AL-LLsummary.pdf
    77 KB · Views: 10

Blackhawktech

Reaction score
See if this helps...see attached
Bottom line seems to be:
- documented evidence of 3 repair attempts
- or 30 days out of service
- certified letter to manufacturer (after above)
- manufacturer’s final repair attempt within 7 days unsuccessful
- certified letter to manufacturer threatening cause of action under lemon law
- follow manufacturers dispute resolution (if they have one they have to advise you)
- certified letter to manufacturer advising claim and cause of action under lemon law

If they don’t agree to buyback or replace after that, you would have to get a lawyer and sue them under the lemon law
The lemon law should apply because that 30 days is cumulative. Monday will be 21 days it’s been in the shop this time.

RamCares

Reaction score

Hey Blackhawktech,

I'm sorry to hear your sentiments here, I just had a chance to follow up with you via PM. Please take a moment to view that message when you can.

Mark
RamCares

rlc2020

Reaction score
Lemon Law, no offense to Ramcares, but they can't do anything to get your truck fixed for you. I've been having an issue for almost a year now with my Nav8.4 unit and no one at FCA/Star/Ramcares/Dealer have done a thing about it. I used an attorney to lemon out my wife's suv 2 years ago. One phone call, a few documents faxed over and 4 months later i had my money back and the car was gone. Nice and easy. Find and attorney that specializes in lemon law and all it takes is them sending a letter to FCA and as long as you qualify you will get a buyback or a cash settlement. Yes, the attorney took 20%, but I feel that unless it's an open and shut case like a safety issue, FCA will fight much harder against you than they would an attorney that only gets paid if they win.

In either case, do not sell the truck back to them. Taking a $15k loss on a defective product they they just sold you is insane! I'd rather give it to carmax then give that dealer back that truck for them to sell again and make profit on again...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Lemon Law, no offense to Ramcares, but they can't do anything to get your truck fixed for you. I've been having an issue for almost a year now with my Nav8.4 unit and no one at FCA/Star/Ramcares/Dealer have done a thing about it. I used an attorney to lemon out my wife's suv 2 years ago. One phone call, a few documents faxed over and 4 months later i had my money back and the car was gone. Nice and easy. Find and attorney that specializes in lemon law and all it takes is them sending a letter to FCA and as long as you qualify you will get a buyback or a cash settlement. Yes, the attorney took 20%, but I feel that unless it's an open and shut case like a safety issue, FCA will fight much harder against you than they would an attorney that only gets paid if they win.

In either case, do not sell the truck back to them. Taking a $15k loss on a defective product they they just sold you is insane! I'd rather give it to carmax then give that dealer back that truck for them to sell again and make profit on again...
ok but if an attny takes a 20% cut, how much is that? Less than 15K yes but still got to be like 7-9K. Maybe he can get another dealer to give him prices.

rlc2020

Reaction score
ok but if an attny takes a 20% cut, how much is that? Less than 15K yes but still got to be like 7-9K. Maybe he can get another dealer to give him prices.
No no no, you are missing the point here. HE GETS MONEY BACK, HE DOESN'T PAY ANYTHING.

He would get back about 80% of his down payment and any payments he made on the truck. So instead of PAYING 15K he gets back 80% of what he already paid.

Hence why i said just get an attorney, I would rather get back 5 or 6k instead of having to pay 15k. seems like simple math to me...

Users who are viewing this thread