5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Asking for Revised Contract

swarggs

Reaction score
This past Saturday I traded in my 2014 3500 Big Horn for a 2019 1500 Laramie. The truck’s great and all that.

The deal I made included $6,333 in dealer discount and $3,000 in rebates. $2,000 Retail Consumer Cash and $1,000 Black Friday Cash. I had some equity in my trade and used a portion of that as a down payment and cashed out $4,000. As in I only used a portion of the equity that I had in my trade in. The amount I did not intend to use in this new purchase was added to my payoff amount on my bill of sale.

I got a call today from the finance manager stating that an error was made and that a new contract was going to be mailed to me and he is requesting I sign it. He stated that some additional rebate is being added and that he was adjusting the sale price to account for that. If I qualify for an additional rebate, shouldn’t I get that instead of the dealer reducing the original discount? I have an email confirming the dealer discount amount of $6333 prior to me visiting the dealership. I put an email into the finance manager and my salesman asking what the new rebate is.

I can deal with all that, but I am concerned that they may try and hold my $4,000 in equity to try and squeeze me to sign a new contract. They said that once the loans are funded and all that I would get a check for the $4,000. Both the salesman and I signed a statement that states that after this sale I am owed the $4,000.

Doc

Reaction score
This past Saturday I traded in my 2014 3500 Big Horn for a 2019 1500 Laramie. The truck’s great and all that.

The deal I made included $6,333 in dealer discount and $3,000 in rebates. $2,000 Retail Consumer Cash and $1,000 Black Friday Cash. I had some equity in my trade and used a portion of that as a down payment and cashed out $4,000. As in I only used a portion of the equity that I had in my trade in. The amount I did not intend to use in this new purchase was added to my payoff amount on my bill of sale.

I got a call today from the finance manager stating that an error was made and that a new contract was going to be mailed to me and he is requesting I sign it. He stated that some additional rebate is being added and that he was adjusting the sale price to account for that. If I qualify for an additional rebate, shouldn’t I get that instead of the dealer reducing the original discount? I have an email confirming the dealer discount amount of $6333 prior to me visiting the dealership. I put an email into the finance manager and my salesman asking what the new rebate is.

I can deal with all that, but I am concerned that they may try and hold my $4,000 in equity to try and squeeze me to sign a new contract. They said that once the loans are funded and all that I would get a check for the $4,000. Both the salesman and I signed a statement that states that after this sale I am owed the $4,000.
I would ask for the rebate. I'm thinking that money would fit in your pocket much bugnet than in the dealerships ledger!

d_THRILL

Reaction score
If I'm understanding it right, It seems like your biggest worry is the 4k cash reimbursement, which is rightfully yours if that was agreed upon in the first contract. If he wants you to sign a new contract and it doesn't affect the bottom line price you agreed upon the first time around, and they still plan to send you the 4k, I don't see any problem signing the contract. But I would get it in writing that the final sale price of the new contract will be exactly that of the first contract (let them move the numbers and rebates around - bottom line should still match up) and that you will be getting your 4k back. I'm sure they put a rebate in the wrong spot on the bill of sale which messes up their accounting so they're trying to fix it. If you're happy with all the rebates you got and can sign a new contract without it affecting your wallet, I don't see any issue signing it,

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score

then don't sign it

ericd

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. We agreed on a dealer price plus rebates. When I showed up to pick up the truck, I had an additional $1000 black friday rebate that just started. So when I showed up they tried to raise the dealer price by $1000 and add the rebate to balance out to the same number we had agreed on. Basically they wanted to keep the extra $1000 but still give me the same deal we agreed on. I caught them and made them adjust the price and it saved me an extra $1000. Make them give you your agreed dealer discount. Then they have to add on factory rebates as they are available.

RenoRam

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. We agreed on a dealer price plus rebates. When I showed up to pick up the truck, I had an additional $1000 black friday rebate that just started. So when I showed up they tried to raise the dealer price by $1000 and add the rebate to balance out to the same number we had agreed on. Basically they wanted to keep the extra $1000 but still give me the same deal we agreed on. I caught them and made them adjust the price and it saved me an extra $1000. Make them give you your agreed dealer discount. Then they have to add on factory rebates as they are available.
Exactly right. Happened to me when I purchased my 04 Ram so stick to the pricing and you should receive the extra $1k off. Good luck

swarggs

Reaction score
So I called and left messages with the finance department to see what the extra incentive was. I never heard back so I emailed them, stating that if I did qualify for another incentive that I would be willing to split it with them. You know, to make it worth their time at least. I received a revised contract that had another $1,000 incentive and increased the sale price by $1,000. I never heard back after multiple voicemails and emails. ??? O well, they overpaid the loan payoff like my original contract stated, and the credit union refunded me the difference. New loan in place. It worked out I guess, but I am still curious what that other incentive was. Something seemed fishy about the whole thing.

RenoRam

Reaction score
Most definitely fishy. Glad it worked out in the end.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I called and left messages with the finance department to see what the extra incentive was. I never heard back so I emailed them, stating that if I did qualify for another incentive that I would be willing to split it with them. You know, to make it worth their time at least. I received a revised contract that had another $1,000 incentive and increased the sale price by $1,000. I never heard back after multiple voicemails and emails. ??? O well, they overpaid the loan payoff like my original contract stated, and the credit union refunded me the difference. New loan in place. It worked out I guess, but I am still curious what that other incentive was. Something seemed fishy about the whole thing.
At least ya learned never to buy anymore cars with them. Clearly they are not honest.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Stay away from that dealership.
I ordered my Bighorn in October and picked it up in November. I was guaranteed $4000 from October incentives. October incentives were $4000 and $500 but could only guarantee the $4000. November incentives were $3000, $1000 and $500 for a total of $4500. On top I had received a $500 direct marketing coupon for a total $5000 Ram discount. Dealership never saw the $500 direct market certificate as I had given them the #s prior to picking up the vehicle.
Everything was squared away on arrival to pick up truck - no issue at all.
Anybody thinking of buying a Ram reading the forum request a brochure via USPS mail. That is how I ended up with $500 coupon. The salesman called it something like direct marketing. Also received an offer to test drive a Ram and get a $50 credit card.
Based on my experience that dealership you used was not on the up and up.

Dietz5285

Reaction score
I had just the opposite happen to me, when I went to pickup my truck the salesman told that another rebate was available and my cost dropped $500. I guess that is the difference between a GREAT dealer and the others. Thank you Buds Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Celina Ohio

Users who are viewing this thread