5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deal or no deal?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just got quoted on a custom ordered 2021 Limited 1500 4x2 with a few addons. Pulled the trigger and sent deposit. Did I get a deal? Can I negotiate better on price? options? Curios to see how well I did.

View attachment 86767
No, you did not get a great deal.

I hope you are not tainted by the responses you got. You asked though. I tell my guys at work to not discuss salary. Why? Because one day Jimmy-Joe is happy as can be thinking he is making good money and his poop doesn't stink. Then he find out that Billy-Bob is making more. Of course he thinks he is way smarter than Billy-Bob and worth much more because he has a couple more letters in his signature block (P.E., PSP, etc. You know how engineers are....) Now Jimmy-Joe is all butt hurt. If he had minded his own business he could have remained content thinking he is better than everyone else.

Moral here is, if you got a deal you can afford and are happy with the truck, enjoy! Screw what Billy-Bob got and enjoy your new truck like Jimmy-Joe should have. I mean preparation-H is too expensive these days to be butt hurt! :p

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, you did not get a great deal.

I hope you are not tainted by the responses you got. You asked though. I tell my guys at work to not discuss salary. Why? Because one day Jimmy-Joe is happy as can be thinking he is making good money and his poop doesn't stink. Then he find out that Billy-Bob is making more. Of course he thinks he is way smarter than Billy-Bob and worth much more because he has a couple more letters in his signature block (P.E., PSP, etc. You know how engineers are....) Now Jimmy-Joe is all butt hurt. If he had minded his own business he could have remained content thinking he is better than everyone else.

Moral here is, if you got a deal you can afford and are happy with the truck, enjoy! Screw what Billy-Bob got and enjoy your new truck like Jimmy-Joe should have. I mean preparation-H is too expensive these days to be butt hurt! :p
Classic! 🤣

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll join the chorus: you're mid-pack.

You won't be used as an example of someone who just fell off the truck (pun intended) and got taken for a ride. (Does that even make sense? ;) )

However, you also won't be used as an example of a good deal.

I got a great deal with Phillip Olson from Bud Clary, Seattle. A 4x4 Laramie (with a bunch of stuff, but not extreme), MSRP 63,530. 4,000 in rebates (locked in as worst case) and negotiating means I pay 50,388 final price (54,388 with no incentives), plus TTL. (If I'm eligible for higher rebates/incentives, I'll get those. If I don't finance with FCA, I'll lose some of that.)

Invoice was 58,598.

(~21% below MSRP. ~14% below invoice. Those include the $4,000 incentives and rebates.)

Mine was custom order. I don't know why they quoted 3.5% over invoice for custom orders, but I'm not running their business.

My numbers are my numbers. Yours are yours.

If you're happy with that price, do it.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I look at it differently than most on here...

You are ordering, so you are getting the exact truck you want. This is not a case of you needing a truck now and paying $2000 more because it is on the lot now and close to what you want.

If you want to blow $3-$4k more by over paying on an order vs what other dealers will do, go for it and finance the sales manager's vacation.

If you have the money to pay more for no reason, buy the truck from a dealer trying to earn your business by offering a good price and put the difference in your kid's or grandchildren 529 college account.

Amazing93

Reaction score
I bought this a few months before the "pandemic" for 45k. I don't know what the invoice price is. Anyone know how I'd find out?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210324-223200_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210324-223200_Gallery.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 31

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought this a few months before the "pandemic" for 45k. I don't know what the invoice price is. Anyone know how I'd find out?

You could ask the dealer as they should still have the sheet or go onto edmunds.com and build the truck up as it will be close to invoice.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I would absolutely contact other dealers. If you are ordering, why hurry? If you were after a truck on the lot, it gets tough when you find the specific truck you want. But you can order anytime.

Also, not to open another can of worms here, but can I suggest adding 4wd? Even if you don't use it, I feel this will help your truck retain value which may pay off for you the next time around.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe if it was invoice minus 4% would be worth it.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe if it was invoice minus 4% would be worth it.
I don't know. I just received the VIN for mine today. Heck it is 7% below invoice and $4k in sold protected rebates. We'll see if any others are available when delivery time comes. I do still have my Frontier that is beat up. I saw somewhere about an "other than FCA" truck rebate. Wonder if that will apply.

Pisser is that the guy from Jeep did not let me know about available rebates such as Tread Lightly when I purchased a Rubicon. :mad:

Brian2021

Reaction score
Thanks every one for the replies and advice. Currently working with Philip Olsen and he provided me with a decent quote. We spoke on the phone and he was going to finalize the deal and get my order processed. That was over two weeks ago. I want to give him deposit $$ for the truck, but it has been difficult to get ahold of him for the past two weeks and finalize the order. Trying to be patient but since this is a fly N drive transaction, I am timing a vacation and other details to get up to Seattle and then come back to San Diego. Come on now... take my money already.

On another note, what sales or big incentives are offered in late June or July (which is when the truck should be ready).

Last edited:

Brian2021

Reaction score
I would absolutely contact other dealers. If you are ordering, why hurry? If you were after a truck on the lot, it gets tough when you find the specific truck you want. But you can order anytime.

Also, not to open another can of worms here, but can I suggest adding 4wd? Even if you don't use it, I feel this will help your truck retain value which may pay off for you the next time around.
Thanks I appreciate your input. I had 4wd in several other trucks and never used it. But i do know what you mean.

Users who are viewing this thread