5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead In The Garage - Now 3rd Time

dmodem

Reaction score
I'm not bashing Ram because I do like my truck, but along with the week it was in the shop last year for ****-poor A/C performance where the temperature sensor, A/C compressor, and refrigerant was replaced with no change, today was the 2nd time it's going in due to being completely dead while sitting in the garage. The previous time the dealer said they could see there were codes recorded but could find no answer. This time it was, once again, completely dead and was towed to the dealer. The tow company put a jump pack on it which eventually allowed it to start to get it out of the garage, but numerous warning lights and suspension/electrical system service messages appeared on the dash along with the backup camera not working. Something is drawing power in these Rams that's draining it, and the tow driver said this is the 3rd one he's towed in the past 2 months with the same issue. Step up already, Ram. This Limited only has 13k miles!
Ram.jpg

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those error codes and camera malfunction are normal until everything reboots. Takes about 10 minutes.
Have you used your tailgate recently? I suspect it can be from closing it too lightly.

dmodem

Reaction score
Those error codes and camera malfunction are normal until everything reboots. Takes about 10 minutes.
Have you used your tailgate recently? I suspect it can be from closing it too lightly.
Not used at all.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the pretty much the same exact issue. I've been doing my own "diagnosing" before I take it back in. I bought a new battery and its been good for the past 2 weeks. The old battery was giving it a hard to start issue but the dealer claimed the battery was tested and it was good.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was towed out of the garage today completely dead, wouldn't take a charge from cables or booster pack on wrecker. Dealer slow charged the battery and ran diagnostics and say everything is good but they want to keep it a few days to make sure there are no issues with power again. At least they offered me a loaner! The tow had to winch it out of the garage on skids and then get it on the flatbed.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve heard about Rams , Chevys and Toyota having poor batteries in their pick ups . Some of them don’t last a year .

msherwood87

Reaction score
I'm not bashing Ram because I do like my truck, but along with the week it was in the shop last year for ****-poor A/C performance where the temperature sensor, A/C compressor, and refrigerant was replaced with no change, today was the 2nd time it's going in due to being completely dead while sitting in the garage. The previous time the dealer said they could see there were codes recorded but could find no answer. This time it was, once again, completely dead and was towed to the dealer. The tow company put a jump pack on it which eventually allowed it to start to get it out of the garage, but numerous warning lights and suspension/electrical system service messages appeared on the dash along with the backup camera not working. Something is drawing power in these Rams that's draining it, and the tow driver said this is the 3rd one he's towed in the past 2 months with the same issue. Step up already, Ram. This Limited only has 13k miles!
View attachment 75686
I bought a 2021 ram 1500 with the 5.7L etorque on 11/10/20. Its now been in the shop for 10 days and they have now idea what is wrong, their words. Same issue, battery drain. I caught a video of the problem, instrument cluster turns on every 30s. Watch the attached video. They think its either a body control module or wiring issue but "star" can't even figure it out at this point.

Biscuitz23

Reaction score
Most likely what they'll start having to do is start reading the draw and start disconnecting every single module one by one and plugging them back in and determine what is causing it. That is no easy task as modules are every where on these newer vehicles and it's a pain in the ***. It could still be the BCM but really who knows.

vegaskeith

Reaction score
Make sure ALL of the fuses and breakers in the black box under the hood are pushed in all the way. This could be the problem, mine were loose from the factory and the worthless dealer never pulled the top of this box to look, dumb azz. I found it on the third failure. NO issues in the last 3 months, a factory flaw.

BowDown

Reaction score
Yeah, along with A/C performance, dead electrical issues aren't a noted problem at all, huh?

Widespread, no.
On a Ram forum where every issue is overly magnified? Yes, the truck is a PoF.....

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He would've had an error message on his dash...plus it wouldn't have drained the battery.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 75686
Could just be a crappy battery.

dmodem

Reaction score
So the dealer called and said the only code they saw was for a drained battery but they couldn't explain what would completely drain it after 4 days. Although this is the 2nd time it happened, they told me the only remedy at this point is to start it every other day for 10 mins or so. After I told them how ridiculous that sounded for $60k+ truck, I asked if they'd swing by and start it while I'm on vacation, or have someone stop by airport parking if we're out of town and start it up a few times while I'm away.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 ram 1500 with the 5.7L etorque on 11/10/20. Its now been in the shop for 10 days and they have now idea what is wrong, their words. Same issue, battery drain. I caught a video of the problem, instrument cluster turns on every 30s. Watch the attached video. They think its either a body control module or wiring issue but "star" can't even figure it out at this point.
This indicates a module is waking up. Which one is anyones guess. Very hard to figure it out. But I would blame 2 possibilities. The radio or if you keep your key fobs too close to the truck when not used.

Buckle

Reaction score
Off topic,...but I thought we aren't supposed to tow our trucks like that? I see it all the time, but I always read we should be all four wheels on or off the ground, never 2. Is it actually a problem?

dmodem

Reaction score
Off topic,...but I thought we aren't supposed to tow our trucks like that? I see it all the time, but I always read we should be all four wheels on or off the ground, never 2. Is it actually a problem?
I thought so as well, but that's what the dealer and roadside assistance authorized.

BowDown

Reaction score

If its a 2wd truck then its no issue, 4x4 you'd need a rollback or disconnect the drive shaft

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This. But only if it's 4wd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/